Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/28/2005 8:52:41 AM EDT
All,

Didn't know where to go with this, want to check here first.. Took my first build out this weekend and fired it. Ejects spent fine, the next round I have to pull the bolt back and shove back in to seat..  Thought i'd check with other builder and see if they have any insight into what might be causing the loading malfunction..

My home built is a CAR16 kit from Model 1, with a Mega Receiver.. I was using Wolf 5.56 rounds. The casing are real dark, (don't think they are brass..) Should I try real brass before I get to worry about the function of the rifle..

Any insight appreciated..

NebraskaDad..
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd try some brass , then look at the chamber.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
...My home built is a CAR16 kit from Model 1, ... I was using Wolf 5.56 rounds. .....

I think I found your problem points...

Seriously, try some decent brass cased ammo (American Eagle or Black Hills are two good options).

If the rifle runs fine, chalk it up to your rifle doesn't like Wolf (BTW Wolf is NOT 5.56 it's .223 and underpowered .223 at that).

If the rifle doesn't shoot decent brass cased ammo then come back and talk with us.  If the next round isn't loading it could be several things to include:
1) Gas port too small.
2) Gas is blowing by the rings (bad bolt carrier)
3) Improper alignment of the gas tube & gas key.
and some others (consult the -23&P in the Downloads section - click on [INFORMATION] above).
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok if you HAVE to use the forward assist to load rounds into the chamber then you have some issues...

What magazines are you using? (only use USGI magazines)

Are there any marks on the outside of the fired cases?
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Forest,

No marked on casings, not sure what type of Mag, has a green feeder guide.

I am going try some decent brass first, may wind up disassembling if can't resolve it with brass.

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Model 1 built the upper so I don't think it'd be a problem with the gas port or head spacing.  I just put the top on a lower receiver..
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Model 1 built the upper so I don't think it'd be a problem with the gas port or head spacing.  .

Gas port issues are not uncommon with the lower end ARs, neither are chamber issues.

What is stamped on thebottom of the magazine (on the floor plate)?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Just curious ... did you buy the NATO 5.56 kit or the .223 kit?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

My home built is a CAR16 kit from Model 1, with a Mega Receiver.. I was using Wolf 5.56 rounds.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:00:23 AM EDT
[#12]
First and foremost make sure you are using a USGI mag and not some USA brand mag. I believe Forest asked what was stamped on the base plate, get back to us on that.

On top of that try some brass and let us know how she does.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
First and foremost make sure you are using a USGI mag and not some USA brand mag. I believe Forest asked what was stamped on the base plate, get back to us on that.

On top of that try some brass and let us know how she does.

Cheapest possible solutions right there.

Check Mags and get better ammo.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top