Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/9/2005 2:36:27 PM EDT
Myself and New-arguy got a chance to try out some of Versa-pods new bipods and mounts recently and I wanted to spread the info.

I was sent the RD-923 Raptor(military only model/have to send it back ),MZ-251 and the 150-051 short bipod with cant/tilt adjustment along with their new 150-616 vertical grip and the universal sporting rifle mount.

First the Raptor,just to get it out of the way since I can't own it..This thing is REALLY cool.Not to mention it looks menacingThe clamp/cam mechanism is extremely easy to take on and off:
Pic of clamp

The Raptor feet did really well in the sand,mud and gravel that I tried it in.Here's Neil(New-arguy)running the course at the local Carbine match with it:

On my M4:

Spr:

The next bipod I messed around with was the MZ-251.The mount on this requires that you tighten down two hex keys.Obviously,this model isn't intended for quick attachment/detachment.However,it is insanely rock solid when mounted on the 1913 rail.I hammered a few hundred rounds through my M4 standing,from a bench and prone and had no issues with it becoming loose.

Another feature that is cool is the pan tilt tension knob.It too held its position firm after hundreds of rounds but was easy to manipultate(large knurled knob)if you wanted to make small adjustments quickly.With a 30 rounds mag the legs extend far enough to give you plenty of clearance when shooitng prone aswell.

Close up of mount and tension knob:

At the same Carbine meet that Neil used the Raptor I used the 150-051 with the Vertical grip.Those of you that have used/owned know how the Versa-pods mount to the universal adapters they sell.The vertical grip uses the same principal.It has the same type of shaft that their sporting rifle universal mounts use on the top of the vert grip.

I found this combo really easy to deal with.The course we shot required shooting 300 yards prone followed with shots from shorter distances sitting,kneeling and standing.It was nice to have the vertical grip when firing from the non-prone positions and be able to fold the bi-pod out of the way.

The Vert-grip mounts on the rail very easily and is solid.It is tension on by a knurled lug at the bottom of the grip.

The bi-pod itself is has found a new hom one my bolt rifle.(actually I switch it back and forth)The cant/tilt adjustment/tension make the bi-pod great to use for prone and bench shooting.It will tension tight enoigh that it won't budge if you want it firm.I also had no issues with the tension loosening once tightened all the way when mounted on my .308 bolt rifle.The legs are pretty short when not extended.However,are long enough to use a 30 round mag on an AR from prone when extended.

On a LMT rifle:

Myself using it at the match:

The 051 on my bolt rifle:

Overall I am really impressed with the quality of the stuff that was sent to me.Neil seemed impressed aswell(he'll be in here to throw in his $.02 too).I have put quite a few rounds through my ARs and my bolt-gun with these pods in the last 3 weeks and don't have any complaints.The only complaint I could have is that I am going to be mailing this Raptor back in the next few days.

Link Posted: 11/11/2005 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I can say, ...... I think your right!!!!

Roger was nice enough to let me try the new Raptor and I think this is the nicest bi-pod I have ever shot from...

The other models are just as nice just no spikes on the feet (most likey better because most of us use a mat of some sort)

Well, all I can can is "HELL YA" to the above post...

Mike

Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Well....

I broke down and ordered one of the 150-051 for my AR... I can't wait to get it in and post some more pics.

I will advise more when it comes in....

Mike
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 1:45:10 AM EDT
[#3]
A question about the RD-923 Raptor.Did the legs move freely like the current Versa-Pods or were they rigid like the Harris?Thank you.SJR556.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 2:22:09 AM EDT
[#4]
nice..thanks for the review
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice write-up and picks. Thanks!

FWIW, the Versa-Pod site seems perfectly happy to sell me a RD-923 Raptor. I didn't go through with the transaction because, at least for now, I can't justify a $300 bipod....no matter how nice it it. But, for those so inclined, it looks like it can be purchased.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 3:06:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A question about the RD-923 Raptor.Did the legs move freely like the current Versa-Pods or were they rigid like the Harris?Thank you.SJR556.

When you say freely are you asking if it,when extended,it's "loose" or if there is cant/tilt?
It has no cant/tilt adjustment.However,there is a tiny bit of movement.

I am pretty sure they still aren't selling these to civilians.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:57:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I am wondering if its loose like the current Versa-Pods.If you dont apply any forward pressure to the current models they will move all over the place.SJR556.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:02:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Nice write-up and picks. Thanks!

FWIW, the Versa-Pod site seems perfectly happy to sell me a RD-923 Raptor. I didn't go through with the transaction because, at least for now, I can't justify a $300 bipod....no matter how nice it it. But, for those so inclined, it looks like it can be purchased.

Why wouldn't they?  Is there any reason they couldn't sell you the bipod?

-C4-
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Well,

I talked to Roger and sounds like there WILL be a Raptor for you and me....

Roger will post more info (I hope)

Mike out

"EDIT" To add...

Also don't rule out the one with the built in vertical grip. That rig was very nicely built but, not heavy.

I just have a light and needed the tango down grip for my push pad or I would have gone that way..

Mike
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:00:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am wondering if its loose like the current Versa-Pods.If you dont apply any forward pressure to the current models they will move all over the place.SJR556.

This isn't true for all their models.All of the ones I listed above are not like this.The raptor moves very little and models with cant/tilt adjust are as solid or as loose as you adjust them to be.

-C4-

He's concerned with the liabilty with the feet being sharp enough to tear skin and the fact that it deploys with a lot of force.I was told yesterday that they are making civilian versions that have the feet but aren't spring loaded.

I like the Raptor feet enough that I wouldn't care if it were spring loaded or not.I shoot prone a lot and this thing really works in loose sand and gravel.I'd love to have one identical to the 150-051 but with the feet on it.

More updated pic of the bolt gun.I took some Alumahyde to it and put an Eagle stock pack on it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:11:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This isn't true for all their models.All of the ones I listed above are not like this.The raptor moves very little and models with cant/tilt adjust are as solid or as loose as you adjust them to be.

-C4-

He's concerned with the liabilty with the feet being sharp enough to tear skin and the fact that it deploys with a lot of force.I was told yesterday that they are making civilian versions that have the feet but aren't spring loaded.

I like the Raptor feet enough that I wouldn't care if it were spring loaded or not.I shoot prone a lot and this thing really works in loose sand and gravel.I'd love to have one identical to the 150-051 but with the feet on it.

More updated pic of the bolt gun.I took some Alumahyde to it and put an Eagle stock pack on it.
www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/31131ODstockpics2_003-med.jpg

I would get one if they weren't $300.  I still don't get why it is an issue that they are sharp.  Lots of things are dangerous on the gun, like the gun.  Just stick a disclaimer on it.  

-C4-
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#12]

I would get one if they weren't $300.  I still don't get why it is an issue that they are sharp.  Lots of things are dangerous on the gun, like the gun.  Just stick a disclaimer on it.  

-C4-

They are pricey.However,People,myself included,spend almost $400 for a tube to mount stuff to on their M4's.

I can see his concern.Esspecially when he could potentially be liable.All it would take is one moron to push the release button on this thing while holding near their face(lets face it there are people that stupid)and they would be looking for someone to take to court.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Well,

I finally got out to the range and wanted to post the pics I promised SO...

Here we go...

Six HUNDRED yards is a long way uh???

Psst...that is rogers bolt gun (it is a shooter)

Bipod at work on my M4... he he

Man I tell you if I shot as well as these bipods are made I would shoot 1/4 moa ever time!!!!

Had one hell of a time today. Can't say I shot that well but hey if I shot that well it wouldn't be fun right!!

Mike out

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I am interested in the Versa-Pod Model 52 Bipod (150-052) with the Bayonet-Lug Adapter.  But my dealer says the Versa-Pods wobble all over the place.  Someone else asked about movement in the legs.  He's recommending a Harris bipod.  Because of all the other junk on my rails, my only option is using the bayonet lug.  Comment?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:30:27 PM EDT
[#15]
tagtical!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#16]
In my new Cabelas shooting catalog, they have the versa pod with a bonus mount so you can move it between 2 rifles without paying the $20 for a second mount.  Would this be a good deal, i'd be swapping back and forth between a 24" varminter and a 16" rra car a4.  Also, is a sling still easily used with this bipod?

TIA
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#17]
LOW2000 and CAJUNREBEL had questions about VERSA-POD, can anyone answer?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag.

I thought I recognized new-arguy's guns in there.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:18:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I am interested in the Versa-Pod Model 52 Bipod (150-052) with the Bayonet-Lug Adapter.  But my dealer says the Versa-Pods wobble all over the place.  Someone else asked about movement in the legs.  He's recommending a Harris bipod.  Because of all the other junk on my rails, my only option is using the bayonet lug.  Comment?

Ok...

I called Versa-Pod and ask about the Bayo-lug Mount...

They told me "It's not a bad way to go but the rail mount is preferred" The problem they ran into was that not all Bayo-lugs were created equal. So a Colt and a Bushmaster lug may vary from rifle to rifle and brand from brand so that means for a mount to be truly "universal" They had to shoot for the middle so to speak, therefore a lug mount will be tight on some rifles and not so tight on others. I would try to see if you could make room on your rail for it. What do you have @ the 6 o'clock position anyway??? Remember the feet on this bi-pod fold both ways so if you need to fold them forward (out of the way) you can and still have all your toys mounted where you want.

As for the leg "wobble" If you have the pan/tilt knob all the way tight then there is little to no "wobble" I mean there is a "little bit" much less then  the other bi-pods I have used. If you have the pan/tilt knob loose there is still very little wobble and you can now "pan" the landscape right and left and "tilt" up and down looking for targets and still engage movers with out having to reposition yourself or your gun.

I have the 150-051 model and you’re looking at the 150-052 model. There the same just yours is taller. I like being close to the ground and I am even thinking about the ultra short 150-050 model. It would stand to reason that the shorter model would be more wobble free but I don't know this to be factual because I only own the mid length 150-051...

If you want a wobble free support to shoot from and you don't need to pan or tilt then, shoot off of some good sand bags. That's what I do when I am @ the range...

Hope this helps,
Mike

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:13:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Geez, you're thorough.  On a Stag 2L (M4gery) 16" barrel I have the Sampson MRFS-CX Rails 10" with Tango Down Rail Grips (Model BP-4) 6", no more room in front.  I'd hate to cut it down.  If I did use the rail then I would get a Harris bipod.  I guess I just have to either use sandbag or  raise my rifle rest using longer center post or legs.  Thanks for all your help.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#21]
LOW2000,

I just read your post and here goes...

I think a free mount is NEVER a bad thing so, go for it!!!!

Also, I have never used a sling with that mount but it is just mount with a sling stud. So it mounts a sling just like any other out of the box sling stud...Right??

Just my .02

Mike
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Where in Florida are you guys shooting?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for following up.

I was looking at either the B-square, harris or versa-pod and figured since you guys have some firsthand experience, I'd ask if you'd get one.  Now just to decide between the spring loaded model 2, or the model 3.  Will have to see how the gun sits once everything is together to decide which height to go with.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#24]
That looks just like the Rock SOPMOD bipod with the raptor feet for $250
here is a link
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:52:44 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Where in Florida are you guys shooting?

Bradford Clay and skeet in Starke,Fl.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
here is a link

Your right!!!!

Versa-Pod makes the feet for that bipod...

It's just that their's is not spring loaded meaning when you want the legs longer you have to grab the feet and pull them where as the Raptor is VERY quick to deploy the legs so you have a longer bipod when you need it. I mean the Raptor is like a switchblade fast

Mike
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-C4-

That is the MOST assanine thing I have ever heard in my life.

"Watch out I'll stab you with my bipod feet" "Lets go do a drive by bipodding" "I'm the only one proffesional enough to use a Raptor, its spring loaded with sharp feet!

Geez!

But thanks for the review-
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I have tried the Rock SOPMOD bipod and they are spring loaded and as fast as a swithch blade also. From what I saw they are the exact same thing but the Rock is cheaper.

Quoted:

Quoted:
here is a link

\

Your right!!!!

It's just that their's is not spring loaded meaning when you want the legs longer you have to grab the feet and pull them where as the Raptor is VERY quick to deploy the legs so you have a longer bipod when you need it. I mean the Raptor is like a switchblade fast

Mike

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have tried the Rock SOPMOD bipod and they are spring loaded and as fast as a swithch blade also. From what I saw they are the exact same thing but the Rock is cheaper.

Quoted:

Quoted:
here is a link

Your right!!!!

Mike

News to me...

Well, I guess you learn something new every day!!!

Mike

P.S. Did the rock Bi-pod you used have a tilt\cant adjustment???

Mike

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#31]
yes it did, and from what I saw they are exactly the same. the raptor feet and the spike foot are only for military and LE.  But I know a dealer that will bend the rules.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
yes it did, and from what I saw they are exactly the same. the raptor feet and the spike foot are only for military and LE.  But I know a dealer that will bend the rules.

Ah ha!!!

Told you mom

It IS all in who you know...

Good you,
Mike
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top