BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/9/2005 9:45:19 AM EDT
Finnaly decided to give this paint thing a try.

Phase one complete.  The base coat.  Krylon Camo Khaki  The stock is drying right now.

Got a can of OD and a can of brown.  I'm just going to do a few spots and streaks on it.  Mostly it will be the Khaki. Tonight the stock will get baked and I will put it all together and take a new pic.

After the paint dried I put it in the oven on about 200 F for about 30 minutes.  Was that about right?

Update***
Finished almost everything.  A mag is drying now.  As you can see I missed the stock ring and the rear pin on the lower, but I just figure those will get hit with some brown and OD.

UPDATE** X2
Finished the mag, here is the gun with the mag.

Here it is with some brown streaks.

Here is it with brown and green.  Green looks a little dark, but it's still wet.

Link to Hi-Res
Other side

Link to Hi-Res

Better pic on the carpet.  Just need to bake it and I am done.  I am happy as a pig in poo!

Link to Hi-Res

Link to Hi-Res
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you are doing fine, but I hope you are doing multiple light coats as opposed to heavy coats.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sounds like you are doing fine, but I hope you are doing multiple light coats as opposed to heavy coats.

I did three kinda medium coats.  That okay?
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#3]
It looks heavy from the picture, but it could just be the picture....  

Light coats will always wear better than medium or especially heavy coats.  Don't worry about covering everything evenly in one coating, as it doesn't matter what the individual coats look like.  All that matters is the end prodcut.

Remember that if you like your finished look, drop it in the oven and cure it for awhile, I would leave it sit overnight, then drop it in the oven for longer than just 30 minutes, and probably make it 90 minutes to 2 hours.  

If you are happy with the look, clearcoat it by misting light coats on from a distance.  Multiple LIGHT coats will help keep a flat look, and make it solvent resistant. Drop it back in the oven after it  drys overnight.

Or just spray it on heavy and don't worry about it, there are people who really don't care about the subtle angles of finishing it, and only want to break up the outline.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Light coats will always wear better than medium or especially heavy coats.  Don't worry about covering everything evenly in one coating, as it doesn't matter what the individual coats look like.  All that matters is the end prodcut.

Remember that if you like your finished look, drop it in the oven and cure it for awhile, I would leave it sit overnight, then drop it in the oven for longer than just 30 minutes, and probably make it 90 minutes to 2 hours.  

If you are happy with the look, clearcoat it by misting light coats on from a distance.  Multiple LIGHT coats will help keep a flat look, and make it solvent resistant. Drop it back in the oven after it  drys overnight.

Or just spray it on heavy and don't worry about it, there are people who really don't care about the subtle angles of finishing it, and only want to break up the outline.  

Cool!  Thanks for the advise!  This is my first time trying, and this is a "beater" rifle that I built to experiment on so I can mess it up and not cry about it.  I already am liking it though and am thinking about doing it on other rifles.  So your advise is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks great!  What's the next step?

It's a little late in the year, but you'd be shocked how well plain old sunlight can dry paint.  

G
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#6]
mjohn3006,

No problem at all, feel free to post any questions you may have, or email me at [email protected] if you need anything.

Leaving it outside will make the paint feel dry, but the low oven temps for extended time give it a full hard cure.

Link Posted: 11/12/2005 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Updated above.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks great!

I'm always impressed by you guys that have the balls to do that to your rifles.

I'd love a cool paint job but I'm afraid mine would be crap haha. I do have a toy 9mm AR I might it try it on sometime. good luck and post more pics later.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 6:54:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks good so far
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#10]
It does look nice. Are you going to add any other color or is that it? Looks good regardless.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Looks great!

I'm always impressed by you guys that have the balls to do that to your rifles.

I'd love a cool paint job but I'm afraid mine would be crap haha. I do have a toy 9mm AR I might it try it on sometime. good luck and post more pics later.

Took me a few years to get the balls to do it.  I build this rifle to have absolutly no purpose but fun.  So I don't mind if I mess it up.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It does look nice. Are you going to add any other color or is that it? Looks good regardless.

I am going to add some Brown and some OD Green.

Thanks to all for the complements.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm painting my first this weekend also.
In order to error on the side of caution
I choose a 243 NEF handi rifle with a tasco scope.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I have finally found an excuse to buy an Airsoft.  I can paint it without worrying about messing it up...

you guys got guts...
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I did mine last weekend, I have added some more brown to it,
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Sweet!! Very nice!!! This is so going to be one of my next projects soon... busy working but man I would love to paint my AR.. still learning.

- rem

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/k9dpd/chair.jpg

Link Posted: 11/13/2005 4:20:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Update X2
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What type of rail is that?
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 5:49:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like a LaRue rail to me.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What type of rail is that?

its a Daniel Defense
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the camo job. Looks easy to do and the result is really nice. Can you take pics outdoors whenever you have time ?
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I like the camo job. Looks easy to do and the result is really nice. Can you take pics outdoors whenever you have time ?

I live on a second floor apartment.  I did all the spraying out on my balconey.

I am heading up to my parents house for Thanksgiving.  I will bring it and take some pic in my parents back yard.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I put some plastic parts I didn't want to cook in an oven in my truck for a few Texas summer days and the cure was as good as on the oven baked metal parts.

Hello...my name is Ricky and I'm an AR-coholic
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I put some plastic parts I didn't want to cook in an oven in my truck for a few Texas summer days and the cure was as good as on the oven baked metal parts.

Hello...my name is Ricky and I'm an AR-coholic

Hi Ricky, welcome to the addiction.  You'll find this is a support group like no other.  We treat our adiction by not treating it at all, in fact we encourage it.  Go with your feelings, and arm yourself as you feel fit!
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I was thinking about putting some krylon on an M4forgery I have. But I didn't know you had to let that stuff sit in the oven???
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks good, but I keep wondering with painted guns: will you be able to smell the spray paint everytime you put it up to your shoulder to get a cheek weld?  Also, you are able to put the whole thing in the oven, handguards, pistol grip and all?

Regardless it looks sweet.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Looks good, but I keep wondering with painted guns: will you be able to smell the spray paint everytime you put it up to your shoulder to get a cheek weld?  Also, you are able to put the whole thing in the oven, handguards, pistol grip and all?

There is no smell once it is fully cured.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 3:19:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Its only in the oven at about 175-200F.  The plastic seems to be fine.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 3:52:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey guys,

First off, they look great!  The only questions that I had were with regards to the baking/curing.  First, thanks for the temperature setting, as I was concerned about warping the plastic parts.  So here goes:

1) I'm assuming you just took the whole thing apart (or where it needed to be taken apart), sprayed accordingly and baked the broke down parts, and reassembled once cured.  Is this right?

2) How did you place it in the oven?  Meaning, did you spray, wait for the paint to dry and then put in the oven?  Did you put the parts on a tray, on a grill, hang parts from a grill, etc.?  Any info is greatly appreciated.

3) Any ill effects to the oven or do you have an extra one for shop purposes (my brother has an extra one that he bakes powder coating onto engine parts with and you cannot use it for food due to it)?

I'm planning on picking up a kit rifle once I finish my government sponsored tour of Korea, and wouldn't mind dressing it up a bit with a sand/desert paint job (like shown on Page 1 by the second pictured rifle).  So, again, information is awesome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 4:33:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Hey guys,

First off, they look great!  The only questions that I had were with regards to the baking/curing.  First, thanks for the temperature setting, as I was concerned about warping the plastic parts.  So here goes:

1) I'm assuming you just took the whole thing apart (or where it needed to be taken apart), sprayed accordingly and baked the broke down parts, and reassembled once cured.  Is this right?

I sprayed the Stock, the lower, the carry handle, charging handle, the mag and the whole upper assembly separately.  But that was the extent of my disassembly.  I did not leave the bolt in the upper when I sprayed it, but I did leave the barrel, delta ring, gas tube flash hider ect ect on there when I did the base coat.

When I sprayed  the streaks though, the whole gun was completely together.  Other wise my color streaks would have been very un-uniform and random.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  But I was going for a streaks look.

2) How did you place it in the oven?  Meaning, did you spray, wait for the paint to dry and then put in the oven?  Did you put the parts on a tray, on a grill, hang parts from a grill, etc.?  Any info is greatly appreciated.

Let it dry, then I just put it in there on the rack.

3) Any ill effects to the oven or do you have an extra one for shop purposes (my brother has an extra one that he bakes powder coating onto engine parts with and you cannot use it for food due to it)?

Smelled a little funny while baking, but not anything to make me air out the place.  Oven seems to be fine.  My apartmentmate makes pizza all the time and he is not dead yet.

I'm planning on picking up a kit rifle once I finish my government sponsored tour of Korea, and wouldn't mind dressing it up a bit with a sand/desert paint job (like shown on Page 1 by the second pictured rifle).  So, again, information is awesome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK

Thank you for your service!
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Looks great man! I can't wait to paint another one of mine.

Is the Krylon khaki a really light tan or is it a darker shade?
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:16:34 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Looks great man! I can't wait to paint another one of mine.

Is the Krylon khaki a really light tan or is it a darker shade?

Really light tan, actually drifting torwards a greyish.  The first several pics are nothing but the Khaki.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I think you did good.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Wait a minute, am I retarded? I thought krylon was just spray on, didn't need curing. And that other products like norrells and gunkote needed to cure in an oven. Edumacate me please.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Looks like it came out good.  I like it!
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Wait a minute, am I retarded? I thought krylon was just spray on, didn't need curing. And that other products like norrells and gunkote needed to cure in an oven. Edumacate me please.

People told me I should put it in an oven.  So I did.  That is the extent of my knowledge on the subject.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I totally hosed mine up this weekend so I might redo it in winter camo:

more pics
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a question for someone who knows their way around the paint.  How do you go about painting a scope?  I want to paint my scope to match the rifle I painted, but a couple of concerns are holding me back.  

1)  I have a rubber armored scope, how well will the coat of paint stick to that rubber?

2)  I'm a little leery about sticking my scope in the oven How
3)  Whats the best way to keep the lenses from getting painted as well?

Thanks guys, any help with these questions will be appreciated so feel free
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Krylon doesn't need to be chucked in the oven, but it certainly doesn't hurt.  As it gets colder and with a higher humidty in areas of the country, getting your weapon to dry fully may be harder.  Instead of leaving it sit around, a trip to the oven for a little bit gets the finish fully ready to go get abused.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm with Stickman on this.

I would highly recommend a very light coat of the pigment (just enough to cover), and after it has flashed-off (appx. 1 hr) a couple of coats of clear to seal and protect the base coat.
Let it flash-off then bake to get it  hard.  The sun-lit ,car dash trick works great too.  I've measured temps up to 150 in my Toyota.

If it comes out a little too glossy, hit it with some 000 steel wool or soft leather.

P.S. DON"T BAKE YOUR SCOPE

Shoot it the same as everything else (after masking off the lenses), then set it aside while baking the other stuff.  It will cure fine over time, and although it may not get as hard, you don't NORMALLY bang your scope around, so it doesn't need to be as durable....IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#41]
I need to do this to some of my rifles.  Have just been to scared to screw them up.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Let's say I paint up my AR using this method (Krylon) and decide to remove the paint later-- will thinners damage the parkerizing and/or bluing (other guns) beneath the paint if I remove it? I want to try it, but you know... once you've had black, you never go back!
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Let's say I paint up my AR using this method (Krylon) and decide to remove the paint later-- will thinners damage the parkerizing and/or bluing (other guns) beneath the paint if I remove it? I want to try it, but you know... once you've had black, you never go back!

Just paint it black.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

No, but the coloring may lightly stain the parkerizing in areas.  Barrells and areas that get real hot are more prone to this.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice work mjohn.

Thought I'd offer my own bit of peanut gallery advice..............

Perhaps using some Maapul ladder rail covers - in black, would brake it up nicely and add a bit of contrast

Just a thought.

Overall, two thumbs up and kudos for having the stones to paint a $1,000+ rig as a first timer!
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Did you paint the inside of the upper, where the bolt carrier rides?  It looks like there's alittle paint in there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 3:30:39 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Did you paint the inside of the upper, where the bolt carrier rides?  It looks like there's alittle paint in there.

A little bit got in there.  But not much.  Bolt carrier is sliding just fine.
I'll be taking it to the range sometime in the next few days.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 4:15:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Looks real GOOD , very nice job
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 5:10:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Hi Ricky, welcome to the addiction.  You'll find this is a support group like no other.

This ain't no support group.  It's a bunch of enablers and codependents.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 8:33:12 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi Ricky, welcome to the addiction.  You'll find this is a support group like no other.

This ain't no support group.  It's a bunch of enablers and codependents.

Well said.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top