Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/13/2005 6:37:43 AM EDT
I understand that the BATFE says that a 14.5" barrel needs a permently attached FS to bring it up to a legal 16" without special SBR license. As far as the bullet is concerned, is it really the same as a 16" barrel? Intuitively, I would say NO. Could I get some of your opinions. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#1]
shorter bbl, lower velocity...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:39:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As far as the bullet is concerned, is it really the same as a 16" barrel? .

Do you mean ballistically is it the same?

No of course not.  The FS doesn't add anything to the MV.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:09:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm just trying to figure the rationale of the BATFE for such a requirement.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Whoever said rational thought was needed for the BATFEs requirements?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The ATF just wants to see 16 inches of metal sticking out beyond the chamber so your weapon is harder to hide.

You could have a 6 inch barrel and a permanently attached 10" fake suppressor if you wanted...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

it's simple.  The LAW (the NFA passed by Congress in 1934, later modified in the 1960s) says rifles MUST have a barrel of no less than 16".  Period.

So if you want a 14.5" barrel, you'll need to permanently attach something that will get the barrel to the minimum legal length or pay the $200 for an SBR tax stamp.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The ATF just wants to see 16 inches of metal sticking out beyond the chamber so your weapon is harder to hide.

+1 similar law here in Italy.harder to hide.

if this is the reason what I don't understand is why they didn't make a law for bullpups. I mean that bullpups with 16'' barrel are quite easy to hide
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:37:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
if this is the reason what I don't understand is why they didn't make a law for bullpups. I mean that bullpups with 16'' barrel are quite easy to hide

Actually here in America the Federal law covers that.

The rifle must have a 16" barrel and be at least 26" overall length.  So even if it's a bullpup you need to have a 26" long rifle.

BTW that is measured with the stock open, so if a rifle has a folding stock when folded the rifle could be shorter.

Now that is Federal law, some states have more restrictive laws which require a longer overall length, or they measure the length of the rifle with the stock folded.  IIRC two such states are MI and CA.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually here in America the Federal law covers that.

The rifle must have a 16" barrel and be at least 26" overall length.  So even if it's a bullpup you need to have a 26" long rifle.

BTW that is measured with the stock open, so if a rifle has a folding stock when folded the rifle could be shorter.

Now that is Federal law, some states have more restrictive laws which require a longer overall length, or they measure the length of the rifle with the stock folded.  IIRC two such states are MI and CA.

thanks Forest!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. As always, I learn something from this site.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top