Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2005 9:36:53 PM EDT
Plain, and inexpensive.. Like what BM ships in only carbine size.. Anyone know a source...
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not inexpensive by any means, but it is nice:
www.casesbypelican.com/pelican-m4-single.htm
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're looking for a cheap plastic case, good luck. Neither Plano or Flambeau, the usual suspects in the low cost plastic firearms case, make similar carbine length cases.

Plano does make an 37"L x 13"W x 4.5 "H aluminum hard case (1437-01 Single Break Down Gun Case)  that is close to perfect and cheaper than Pelican for $115 MSRP:
www.gunaccessories.com/Plano/AluminumCases.asp
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The cases that Bushmaster ships their rifles in I've seen at local GI Joes and Big 5 sports for $30ish.  Check your local sporting goods store.

If you want a *real* hard case then order a Starlight for around $170.  They are well worth the money, in my opinion better then Pelican.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:19:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's not inexpensive by any means, but it is nice:
www.casesbypelican.com/pelican-m4-single.htm

Those are beautiful cases, but sheesh, the $$$...

Guess I have to stick with my BM case for now.

Charlie 31
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:22:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The cases that Bushmaster ships their rifles in I've seen at local GI Joes and Big 5 sports for $30ish.  Check your local sporting goods store.

These are $16.95 on the Bushmaster site and they are flimsey.  It is a good case that comes with the rifle to keep it protected until you get one better.  I think the guys are on the right track though here.  Get a Pelican or such, a bit of an investment, but will give you what you need in the long run.  Otherwise, if you are really wanting it cheap, I bet you could get someone to GIVE you their old BM case!

Charlie 31
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:24:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Have you considered a soft case?  They seem to be nice too...

Charlie 31
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:05:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Charlie 31

No way.. Gun is irreplaceable...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:10:31 AM EDT
[#8]
My case
$40 at Sportsmans Guide. Its a ADG shotgun takedown case. Also in silver
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:27:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Starlight cases.  No better case on the market.  Pelican is a toy by comparison.

linky
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:29:57 AM EDT
[#10]
There's a couple of threads that describe using a Lowes or Sears tool box.

Here's the original article that uses a 26" Sears box:

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/useatoolboxasam4case.msnw

I use a 30" Sears carpentry  tool box, same idea, but I can actually stuff  three AR's into it.  It's *just* long enough, a 20" AR10 will fit broken down.  A carbine will fit broken down with lots of room.

I like the nondesript look, no funny looks from the neighbors when I head out to the range.  I'm always dragging tool boxes out to my truck anyway.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Charlie 31

I musta missed that you had one of the few "irreplaceable" AR's in the world.  

Seriously, I have some friends that have some of the soft cases that protect their AR's just as well as the hard cases.  

I thought you were wanting plain and inexpensive, but it sounds like you are needing to protect an "investment".  

Get a BM case for $16.95 (or wait until I get my SOFT case and you can HAVE mine)!

Charlie 31
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have a pelican case, but my M4gery spends most of it's time travelling in a Maxpedition soft case.

Sportsmansguide has inexpensive "Guide Gear" metal cases. I hvae one I transport my Remington 700 that has worked well.

Aimless,
Do you feal that the softcase is sufficient for airline use? Is that what you meant by traveling.....?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:33:36 AM EDT
[#15]
If the firearm is that valuable and going on a plane,  then I would recommend the Starlight case,  It's expensive but well worth every penny,  it's basically a waterproof airtight safe with a handle
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If the firearm is that valuable and going on a plane,  then I would recommend the Starlight case,  It's expensive but well worth every penny,  it's basically a waterproof airtight safe with a handle

The only thing I'd add to this comment is that you should get TSA endorsed locks.  If you show up with "regular" locks on your case, they WILL NOT take it as baggage without the locks REMOVED.  TSA endorsed locks have a special "combination" (fancy ones have electronic combos) that allow security personel to open the case if they must (and they will) but not the baggage handlers (who will steal it).

Before the 9/11 level of security, you were supposed to put "GUN INSIDE" stickers on the case.  We never did, called them "STEAL ME ! " stickers.....

Be sure to check with the airline that you are flying as some or more rigid in their implimentation of gun baggage checking policies
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Plain, and inexpensive.. Like what BM ships in only carbine size.. Anyone know a source...

Case
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:24:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Charlie 31

I musta missed that you had one of the few "irreplaceable" AR's in the world.  

Seriously, I have some friends that have some of the soft cases that protect their AR's just as well as the hard cases.  

I thought you were wanting plain and inexpensive, but it sounds like you are needing to protect an "investment".  

Get a BM case for $16.95 (or wait until I get my SOFT case and you can HAVE mine)!

Charlie 31

I just like the plain black plastic...
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 5:43:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only thing I'd add to this comment is that you should get TSA endorsed locks.  If you show up with "regular" locks on your case, they WILL NOT take it as baggage without the locks REMOVED.  TSA endorsed locks have a special "combination" (fancy ones have electronic combos) that allow security personel to open the case if they must (and they will) but not the baggage handlers (who will steal it).

Before the 9/11 level of security, you were supposed to put "GUN INSIDE" stickers on the case.  We never did, called them "STEAL ME ! " stickers.....

Be sure to check with the airline that you are flying as some or more rigid in their implimentation of gun baggage checking policies

This is not much truth in this post.  I have been traveling for years on almost every airline.  The tag goes inside the case, always has, regulation requires it.  No "steal me stickers" in the last 15 years.

Also, you must have a lock that only you have a key to.  No TSA lock on a firearm container, regulations also require this.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top