Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/12/2005 9:14:10 PM EDT
First off, i'm sorry for the horrible title.  It's late and I thought it was funny...at least to me.

When i'm at the range...i shoot a lot of rounds through my AR.  It gets really hot and the grease that i'm using is melting right off.  I need something that can handle the high temperature.  The grease that i'm currently using is good up to 450 degrees F.  That's not good enough.  Does anyone have a suggestion?  I need some good stuff here.

Thanks guys/gals!

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#1]
why do you need grease?  just use a bit of CLP on the bolt group and your good to go.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
why do you need grease?  just use a bit of CLP on the bolt group and your good to go.

I prefer to clean it the old fashioned way.  Makes me feel better about my investment.  So any other ideas?  I want a grease that can stand up to high temps.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
No need for grease unless you like having the problem you are now. CLP is the only thing your AR needs to run 100% How is using grease cleaning the old fashion way?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on not needing grease. CLP is all you need, even just for lube.

So is your grease actually melting or is it just 'flowing' due to the heat?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#5]
CLP is the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#6]
CLP.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#7]
AR15/M16 was never meant to be run with grease.

If it's an investment, clean it well, put it at the back of the safe, or wherever, and stop shooting it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
AR15/M16 was never meant to be run with grease.

If it's an investment, clean it well, put it at the back of the safe, or wherever, and stop shooting it.

STOP SHOOTING!  You should be banned for such a statement!  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay since no one will give me an answer how about this...DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A CERTAIN BRAND OF GREASE THAT CAN HANDLE HIGH TEMPERATURES?

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
+1 on not needing grease. CLP is all you need, even just for lube.

So is your grease actually melting or is it just 'flowing' due to the heat?

"Flowing" I guess...If you mean burning off due to heat.  I use it on a few other guns of mine and it does the same thing.  Just need a different brand of grease for all of my guns that doesn't wear down due to heat so quickly.  I know it will happen no matter what I do...but there has got to be something better than what I am currently using.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:55:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Taulce. I know we have not answered your question about what type of grease is better. While we understand your situation. What we are basically saying is: If you have problems with grease oozing from your rifle, then maybe using grease is not the way to go. Cpl or any light oil would do the trick. Less mess.

Sorry if its not the answer you were looking for. To be honest, I don't know what type of grease would suit your need.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hey Taulce. I know we have not answered your question about what type of grease is better. While we understand your situation. What we are basically saying is: If you have problems with grease oozing from your rifle, then maybe using grease is not the way to go. Cpl or any light oil would do the trick. Less mess.

Sorry if its not the answer you were looking for. To be honest, I don't know what type of grease would suit your need.  

I'm not having problems with grease oozing from the gun.  I just wears out really quickly due to heat.  I also understand what is being said about the CPL.  But if someone would be so kind to suggest a brand of gun grease that stands to high temps. I would be very greatful.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#13]
look into the automotive world.

grease for wheel bearings on race cars goes up to 900 degrees IIRC. However, i'd like to repeat what they said, don't use grease on your AR!!!

it's your gun though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:03:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Break-Free CLP.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Well if you just gotta. I can vouch for Krytox, good no flow up to 750F. Never tried it on an AR though.

Krytox
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#16]
While I can't offer much advice on types of greese for an AR, I can vouche for Militec-1 lube.  It's kinda like CLP but (in my opinion way better) different.  All you do is give all the vitals a light coat, heat the rifle up (shoot it) and the Militec bonds to the metal.  Wipe off any excess and your good to hook.  Give it a shot, I'll bet you'll be impressed.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Okay since no one will give me an answer how about this...DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A CERTAIN BRAND OF GREASE THAT CAN HANDLE HIGH TEMPERATURES?

There are many good high temp greases out there, but…

Are you reading what anybody is writing… trying to help.

DO

NOT

RUN

GREASE

IN

YOUR  

arf!

Just use some CLP

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#18]
It's not an axle joint, it's a bolt carrier sliding in and out of battery. Think of it like a piston....and what do you use on a piston? Oil.

What is CLP? Oil.

Or, if it would make you feel better, why not compromise and use some synthetic motor oil?? It works great on AR's (I use it), and it'll make you feel better because you're that much closer to grease.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DO

NOT

RUN

GREASE

IN

YOUR  

arf!

Just use some CLP

I

UNDERSTAND

COMPLETELY

BUT

I

STILL

WANTED

TO

KNOW

A

QUALITY

BRAND

OF

GREASE

TO

USE

ON

ALL

OF

MY

FIREARMS

I HOPE THAT WE HAVE THAT CLEARED UP NOW.  No need to shout!

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:08:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:20:38 AM EDT
[#21]
I would check out some of the products that Sentry Solutions makes; I believe that they offer a high-temp grease of some sort.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:27:33 AM EDT
[#22]
CLP, but if you need grease find out what they used on the nose gear of that Airbus that had the emergency landing. I didn't see any of that stuff run.

looks like good shit
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:29:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It's not an axle joint, it's a bolt carrier sliding in and out of battery. Think of it like a piston....and what do you use on a piston? Oil.

What is CLP? Oil.

We use CLP in the Military for cleaning weapons (works great on those twin 50's). hat

Or, if it would make you feel better, why not compromise and use some synthetic motor oil?? It works great on AR's (I use it), and it'll make you feel better because you're that much closer to grease.

h.gif

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#24]
That landing was awesome BTW...in my professional opinion.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DO

NOT

RUN

GREASE

IN

YOUR  

arf!

Just use some CLP

I

UNDERSTAND

COMPLETELY

BUT

I

STILL

WANTED

TO

KNOW

A

QUALITY

BRAND

OF

GREASE

TO

USE

ON

ALL

OF

MY

FIREARMS

I HOPE THAT WE HAVE THAT CLEARED UP NOW.  No need to shout!

I am not a grease expert but shouldnt Tetra Gun grease work and shouldnt the brake grease that comes in those little packets stand up to a lot of heat. I use Tetra on my AKs and it works great I have also used that break grease and it has worked fine. I have never used grease on my AR or my .22s because usualy when I get something thick in the action I have feeding problems so I di just use oil on my AR for the most part. However it is your Rifle so use what you want. I do not see how it would hurt it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:55:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I think i've got enough info on this one.  Thanks guys/gals!

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:49:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You're welcome (and I use CLP )

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:51:30 AM EDT
[#28]
MIGHT

I

ADD

A

+

FOR

TETRA

IT

IS

GOOD

STUFF

AND

I

EVEN

USE

IT

ON

MY

AR-15s

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:54:48 AM EDT
[#29]
i use clp and have never felt the need for anything else.

think that grease would eventually cause more problems then prevent.

attracts dirt a lot easier
would probably gum up a lot worse
make cleaning much harder

but yeah i would say some wheel bearing grease would do the trick
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:06:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Colts offers a "kit" containing grease, solvent and lubricant for cleaning firearms.

I have this, and thought I could find it on the web page. However,  the site seems to have been transformed or under revision right now, and the "store" isn't showing.

The implication is that the heavy stuff has a place. I would think it would be in the bolt/carrier mechanisms.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:34:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Wilson Combat grease

or

Miltec grease
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:54:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I use tetra gun grease on my M14 and my Garands, but as good as it is I don't think I would be slathering grease on any of my ARs. Some rfiles need grease (i.e. the M14 and Garands) I have never used anything other than Ballistol on my ARs. I think you might find it attracts paticluates that the AR series tned to be allergic to. Also, with alll of those teensy parts and nooks and crannies in an AR you are asking for trouble. As for the motor oil suggestions, I don't see why it won't work, other than it isn't really 'clingy' enough unless it has addatives like PTFE (I think that's the name).  That's why the hardest thing you con do to your car (other than outright neglect) is start it! Just my $.02
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#33]
If you're deadset on grease, try bearing grease, like Mobil1 or Valvoline stuff from auto parts store.  Get synthetic stuff, seems to hold up better.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:19:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Dow makes a high temp grease.

goto mscdirect.com and search for Dow High Temperature grease, and it will pop up.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:29:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I feel your pain!

Do check out some automotive greases ... that may work for you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#36]
I can't figure how you haven't gotten an actual reply for a grease made for AR15 application yet.

TW25B.  Its expensive, but thankfully you don't use much at all unlike standard "greases".  TW25B is what I run on my duty carbine as I have yet to see anything else work as well.  When putting it on, you should apply it so thin that you don't see the white, but rather, you should be seeing a sheen on the metal surface.

ETA-  Its not a question of whether Tetra will work, but when I've talked to them they have recommended oil not grease for the AR15.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Krytox is your best bet for grease.

Mill-comm and tetra, both give up around 450.

Your rifle will run just fine on any of the grease that I have listed above.

I think what yuor seeing is too much applied and the excess is runing off.

Read up on mill-coms web site and there 3 conditions of using there tw-25b.  Condition 2 and 1 wroks great for the ar.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Miltec
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Crisco
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Astroglide

<this post was meant in jest, and should not be construed as an indication of gayness>
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I can't figure how you haven't gotten an actual reply for a grease made for AR15 application yet.

TW25B.  Its expensive, but thankfully you don't use much at all unlike standard "greases".  TW25B is what I run on my duty carbine as I have yet to see anything else work as well.  When putting it on, you should apply it so thin that you don't see the white, but rather, you should be seeing a sheen on the metal surface.

ETA-  Its not a question of whether Tetra will work, but when I've talked to them they have recommended oil not grease for the AR15.

Thanks Stickman!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#42]
I have started using Tetra grease on all my ARs and like it better than CLP.   I apply it the same way
as is recommended for TW25B.   I polish it into the upper, the bolt group and buffer/spring so that it has a thin film and no white grease showing.   Charging the upper feels a lot smoother than any oil I've tried, and is much easier to clean after a day of shooting.   For the barrel,  I use the tetra SLC spray and a bore snake.  Spray once down the barrel and run the bore snake through,  then spray once again down the barrel and put it away.   A few days later I run the bore snake through and the remaining copper residue is loose and comes right out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#43]
haven't tried it myself (I am currently using the other products, 'range report' forthcoming h.gif)

Sentry Solutions Hi-Slip Grease

dan
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Are you greasing up the bolt and inside of the bolt carrier?  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#45]
MolyKote, Made by 3-M. Buy from McMaster-Carr. I use it at work for Hi-Temp/Hi-Speed punching applications. Won't disolve or run off. Has to be cleaned off with solvent. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I tend to favor KY-Jelly for my AR lubricatrion needs  
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Sta-lube Brake Caliper synthetic grease  #SL3301 contains molybdenum dilsulfide,graphite,and teflon extremely high temp, get it at NAPA auto parts.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#48]
You also don't want to get graphite on bare aluminum from what I have been told.....

When the upper eventually starts to wear, graphite grease can be a bad thing.

As far as grease, here in the summer when it's dusty as hell I often run my rifle completely dry or with only a minimal amount of CLP.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#49]
linky

This is a great product.  I have used it on the slides of all my auto pistols and have used it on my 9mm AR15.  I also have used it in some high pressure, high temperature engineering applications.  The stuff is safe for o-rings, a plus.

From what I recall, it can completely burn off, and still retain good lubricity.  

I use mainly CLP on the AR platform, but if grease is what you want, I don't think you could find a better one out there for this application.

(My glock barrels all look new, zero wear, because of this green lube)
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#50]
DOESN'T

GREASE

ATTRACT

DIRT?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top