Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2005 5:32:24 AM EDT
Does the Vltor rifle stocks need a mil-spec tube? Also, can anyone post pics of their rifle stocks on a carbine. Since I'm in NY and we our still under the AWB I was thinking of putting one on my M4gery. I hear that the cheek weld is one of the main reasons on choosing Vltor. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:42:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine fit on a Bushmaster tube, Tom at Mooneys checked before I ordered. Therefor it fits the "non mil-spec" tubes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:56:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Isn't it illegal in ban states to put the fixed VLTOR stocks on carbine tubes?  I think you have to use the rifle tube, because aren't they adjustable to a certain degree on the carbine tubes?  I could swear that VLTOR had this stated in the manual or on the website or something.  I haven't had a VLTOR in a while, so I haven't checked much of their info out lately.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:04:42 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Isn't it illegal in ban states to put the fixed VLTOR stocks on carbine tubes?  I think you have to use the rifle tube, because aren't they adjustable to a certain degree on the carbine tubes?  I could swear that VLTOR had this stated in the manual or on the website or something.  I haven't had a VLTOR in a while, so I haven't checked much of their info out lately.

I think what he is saying( correct if wrong) is that he has a carbine rifle with a rifle tube and does it fit, as say Colt and Bushmaster for instance have different diameter tubes. Will it fit on a carbine lenght tube? No, not with out some sort of modification that I have  see or been able to imagaine. As far as the A1 clubfoot is conserend there is no adjustabality which in my opinion makes for a great stock, hell I even have one on a dissapator and I can have a tele stock.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#4]
My Vltor A1 stock fit on my Bushmaster rifle tube and on my CMT and Vltor Carbine tubes. It is an adjustable stock when placed on a carbine tube. I had, but don't have anymore, pictures of my Vltor A1 on the carbine tube. There was another thread asking this same question a while ago. I know Bigbore has or had the same setup.

So know, it doesn't need a milspec rifle length tube. It was tight on my milspec carbine tube.

So if your area has a ban, you shouldn't put the Vltor A1 on a carbine tube. In fact you shouldn't even have the carbine tube mounted, unless its on a preban lower.

The cheek weld is one of the best reasons for owning the Vltor rifle stock.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Please explain how a A1 Voltor stock would work on a carbine/tele tube, I am not doubting I just want to know. How is it adjustable? It is already A1 lenght and any thing sort of monkey arms that adjustabality would be to the long side ( not short side) so let me know if I am missing something I just dont get it.

We are talking about the A1 clubfoot right?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#6]
This is the stock your talking about right?

Damn it where did all my pics go , file , file f*(&^ this,damnit I know they are there but where &^%$^&#^%# did they go. F%$)^ puter.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Vltor A1 rifle length stock. It should fit on most rifle length buffer tubes. If you are going to put it on a carbine buffer tube I would use the one from Vltor as it probably will not fit one from BM, RRA, etc.  I have an RRA carbine buffer tube and it will not fit as the buffer tube diameter is too big.  It is adjustable it that you can make it LONGER than an A1 Stock on a carbine buffer tube but not shorter.  I am thinking of  shortening it a bit to the same length as my Sully stock but have not actually tried it yet.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
The stock body is made to fit on either a carbine tube or a standard rifle tube.

When used on a carbine tube:

The stock comes with a metal pin that inserts through the bottom of the rifle stock and engages one of the holes on the carbine tube.  The pin can be removed and the stock moved aft, as long as the hole in the stock lines up with one of the holes in the tube. You are correct, any adjustments make it longer not shorter.

The A1 length stock, when used on a standard carbine tube will be A2 length or longer. This is because the stock cannot mate flush with the lower receiver like it does on a standard rifle tube. The stock is setback to clear the castle nut, and as a result the A1 length is now longer.

If this is the case then why do it? Well the rifle stock offers a greater cheek weld then the carbine stock, and it is easy to swap the two out. So in theory, you could use the rifle stock for precision shooting, and the carbine stock when a shorter profile is required. And the advantage here is you can run either stock on the rifle without swapping out the carbine tube.

This may not be of any benefit to you, but to those who are issued a rifle that they cannot make changes to, military, police, etc., or have a rifle where the carbine tube is staked in place and not removable, this gives them options they wouldn't have otherwise.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The stock body is made to fit on either a carbine tube or a standard rifle tube.

When used on a carbine tube:

The stock comes with a metal pin that inserts through the bottom of the rifle stock and engages one of the holes on the carbine tube.  The pin can be removed and the stock moved aft, as long as the hole in the stock lines up with one of the holes in the tube. You are correct, any adjustments make it longer not shorter.

The A1 length stock, when used on a standard carbine tube will be A2 length or longer. This is because the stock cannot mate flush with the lower receiver like it does on a standard rifle tube. The stock is setback to clear the castle nut, and as a result the A1 length is now longer.

If this is the case then why do it? Well the rifle stock offers a greater cheek weld then the carbine stock, and it is easy to swap the two out. So in theory, you could use the rifle stock for precision shooting, and the carbine stock when a shorter profile is required. And the advantage here is you can run either stock on the rifle without swapping out the carbine tube.

This may not be of any benefit to you, but to those who are issued a rifle that they cannot make changes to, military, police, etc., or have a rifle where the carbine tube is staked in place and not removable, this gives them options they wouldn't have otherwise.

Not to mention they look evil.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:46:08 PM EDT
[#10]
To summarize- Vltor A1 rifle stock will fit mil-spec carbine receiver extensions (Colt, CMT, Vltor, etc.) or most/all rifle receiver extensions.  When fitted to a carbine extension at the regular position (fully closed), the A1 stock has the same length of pull as a regular A2 buttstock due to the setback of the castle nut and lock plate.

(click on the thumbnail for a full size view)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top