Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2005 1:32:14 PM EDT
I'm about to buy ($ cringe $) a SureFire M952XM6 and mount it on a MI 2-pc. forearm.
Now I see that MI offers offset rails and I'm wondering what that's about.  The SureFire comes with a swan lever throw mount.  So is there a reason why I wouldn't just clamp it down right on the forearm?  What is the purpose/reason for using an offset rail?

I've heard that the bottom rail 6 o'clock position is a good place to mount the light.  Is that right? (I'll have nothing else mounted on the rails other than a VG.)

Also, I get the impression these M95s are hard to come by these days.  Lots of listings that say "backordered."  Anybody know where I can get one (in stock now) for something less than the list price?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#1]
So you can reach the tail switch easier with your thumb.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Its all about light placement and being able to reach the switch.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a Larue throw lever instead of the ARMS, and you won't need any other rails to position the light where you can reach it best.

G&R Tactical can get you fixed up with a package, at a good price.www.gandrtactical.com/grlights.htm
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:02:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input.   I'm sure I wouldn't have thought of that until I put the light on the rail.  

I've looked at the Larue throw lever/light combos, and they are certainly a decent price.  

But, I don't like the shiny, reflective nuts & washers on the throw lever.  

Why can't the entire unit be a nice flat black or charcoal gray?  Looks like they got their throw lever hardware from Home Depot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...But, I don't like the shiny, reflective nuts & washers on the throw lever.  ....

Rambo, if 'they' can see that hardware you've got MUCH bigger issues to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay, C4.  Perhaps my interest in product aesthetics is misplaced?

The LT levers certainly sound like a more durable setup.  

I'm here to learn.  I appreciate your suggestions and advice.   I'll take my "shiny/reflective nuts" to the house now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Ooh Raw!!! Use M-NU like we all did back in the day!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input.   I'm sure I wouldn't have thought of that until I put the light on the rail.  

I've looked at the Larue throw lever/light combos, and they are certainly a decent price.  

But, I don't like the shiny, reflective nuts & washers on the throw lever.  

Why can't the entire unit be a nice flat black or charcoal gray?  Looks like they got their throw lever hardware from Home Depot.

Imagine what they will think of that giant reflector in your flashlight then!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I think he gets the point.

But as to shiny objects being bad - that's exactly why I don't brush my teeth.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Now if LaRue would just get off the stick and make a QD mount for those of us using a one inch diameter light that does not have a built in mount!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top