Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2005 4:46:19 PM EDT
This is kind of a weird question I guess, but I feel like I'm sucking up a lot of the gases from the cartridges when I'm shooting.  I've got one of the RRA stubby stocks so my nose is right up against the charging handle when I shoot, which may contribute to that.  But man I sure feel like I suck up a lot of that stuff as I'm shooting.  That can't be good.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#2]
you can get one of those gasbuster charging handles, or like me, just pray that spent powder gas isn't too carcinogenic...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#3]
wear a face mask or try to shoot outdoors.  If shooting indoor make sure the place is well ventilated.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
If you feel its unsafe, you can give me your AR's and I'll shoot them for you!!

Travis

P.S.  I never inhalled!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, and wolf smells like shit, but it's still cheap
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I dunno, but I do know whenever I spend a reasonable amount of time shooting my boogers are black , which i'm guessing is smoke and nastiness I've inhaled
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#7]
oh yeah, i am addicted to it
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I experimented with it a time or two, and I didn't like it. I didn't inhale and never tried it again
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#9]
It happens.  Considering I smoke, I don't think this could be any worse.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning...

+1
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#11]
If they made carbine gas scented perfume I'd buy it for the Mrs.
I feel a group buy coming on:
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Well just imagine how much smoke there is from the firing of a howitzer. Unlike a self propelled howitzer there is no evacuator to cause the gunpowder smoke to exit the barrel out the front. After shooting many thousands of rounds through towed artillery, all I can say is, every thing still works just fine, at the ripe old age of 58. I can honestly say I don't believe that gunpowder smoke(Burnt nitro cellulose) is  a health hazzard.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Well jeez sir, don't jinx yourself!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#14]
The only real risk involved with inhaling the gases is you could have increased lead exposure levels. The main cause of lead exposure is from the gases the primer produces. The most common primer compound is Lead Stypnate.  For the occasional shooter the risk is not high. If you are worried try a little RTV silicone on the gap between the charging handle and the upper. You can pick it up at any hardware or auto parts store and it will reduce the amount of gases that you are exposed to. I would give it a try before spending some money on a new charging handle.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#15]
NOT INTENTIONALLY!
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#16]
it happens from time to time
never condidered to be harmful to my health, hell i smoke
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I can think of worse things to your health like fat chicks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Fat chicks smell like bacon.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:36:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Canadian Bacon=Fat Canadian Chick
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:52:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Use black RTV sillicone on your charge handle as a gasket. It works great and is easy to do. I will take and post a pic later. Maybe someone can put this up:  

http://www.imageshackuk.com/files/1010/charg-silicone-seal.jpg
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:12:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn, one of my favorite things about shooting is that smell.  I get all nostalgic to my times in the Marines and a Deputy.  

<deep inhale> AHHHH!

--Josh
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:39:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Only when I'm out of glue and paint
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Posted for Forward_Assist

This is a good remedy, but also try timing your shots with your breathing cycle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Uhmmmm, I pass gas while I'm shooting...

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Uhmmmm, I pass gas while I'm shooting...

And I thought it was the Wolf ammo.

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#26]
You mean you don't hold your breath and close your eyes while shooting?

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Do you guys inhale a lot of the gases when you're shooting?

Yes.  It's a special combination of mainly Nitrogen, Oxygen, Argon, and some others.

I find it quite helpful to breathe these gases when I shoot.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:25:01 AM EDT
[#28]
man you better not come out with that carbine perfume.
If my wife wears it....

I'll never be able to shoot my AR prone again!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
man you better not come out with that carbine perfume.
If my wife wears it....

I'll never be able to shoot my AR prone again!

Maybe you could shoot it Offhand!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Use black RTV sillicone on your charge handle as a gasket. It works great and is easy to do. I will take and post a pic later. Maybe someone can put this up:  

http://www.imageshackuk.com/files/1010/charg-silicone-seal.jpg

Forward Assist is right... no need to buy a "gas-buster" charging handle, or whatever they call it.  
TIP:  Remove the charging handle, clean with brake cleaner so that silicone sticks better.  put a little vasaline on the upper for a release agent, re-install charging handle.  
This lets you smooth it out and get a tight seal, and it won't stick to the upper.

Not a big deal in day to day shooting..   BUT, if you've ever blown a primer, there's alot of junk spewing out the gap around the CH.  (or am I handloading too HOT, lol??)
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Depends on what I just ate....  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Not once, not ever!  I never inhaled...
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#33]
It depends mostly on what I ate the night before.  Just thought I'd throw that one in.  Sorry!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Actually, my biggest problem is gas in the eyes during rapid prone in high power matches.  I shoot SR, so an aftermarket CH is not an option.  Does anyone know if the silicone trick is CMP legal?

BTW, I do make sure and pass gas several times during the slow prone.  It throws off the competition, but I giggle and loose my position.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#35]
True story:  whenever I expend a lot of ammo and breath that stuff in my other gas smells like burnt gun powder.  Real nice.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:20:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Posted this same info in years past, might as well post it again.

Jeff's Ghetto Gas Buster Modification:

Many guys have asked me what the "red stuff" is in the gap on the charging handles closest to the receiver.

If you look at the charging handle on an AR15 from the top of the gun you will notice that there is a half circle shaped gap where the charging handle fits up agains the upper receiver.

If you look at this same area from the side, you will notice that there is a space between the charging handle and the upper receiver. This is where a majority of excess lube, gases, and debris escape out of the upper receiver and are directed into the shooters face.

By filling the half circle gap on the charging handle with RTV silicone you can make a cheap and very effective "gas buster" for your charging handle, and this prevents Lube, gases and debris from being blown back into your face.

Step #1

Prep the charging handle. Clean the half circle shaped area on the charging handle with Acetone and wipe dry.

Step #2

Get a tube of Permatex High-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Makter #26B (can be found in the automotive section at Wal-Mart. It comes in a red tube and costs $2.97).

Looking at the charging handle from the top you will notice a gap that looks like a "C" or half circle. Ensure that the charging handle is locked in the forward position.

To make the gas buster modification, I filled in this gap between the upper receiver and the higher portion of the charging handle with the High-Temp RTV Silicone, using a plastic knife to level out the silicone and remove any excess.

Step #3

Let the RTV Silicone dry over night, once the RTV Silicone is applied to the charging handle, DO NOT move the charging handle until the RTV Silicone has cured.

After the RTV cures, take a knife and slide the blade between the RTV and the upper receiver to loosen it up a bit. Then pull the charging handle back slowly, if it's still sticking to the upper receiver, use the blade of the knife to slowly and gently pull the RTV away from the upper receiver. You want the RTV Silicone to stick to the charging handle, not the upper receiver.

The RTV Silicone makes a perfect seal, nothing can excape from the upper receiver in the area of the charging handle.

I have guns that I put the RTV on back in 2001 or so and it's still on the gun. The RTV makes a perfect seal around the upper receiver, it's much cheaper than a $90 charging handle.

See "Forward_Assist's" pics for a visual
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Actually, my biggest problem is gas in the eyes during rapid prone in high power matches.  I shoot SR, so an aftermarket CH is not an option.  Does anyone know if the silicone trick is CMP legal?

YES, legal in CMP....  it was shown to me by a member of the Navy marksmanship team at Perry
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YES, legal in CMP....  it was shown to me by a member of the Navy marksmanship team at Perry

When reloading during slow prone, I tend to notice the gasses since my face is almost right over the ejection port, but I've never noticed any getting past the charging handle on either of my ARs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:14:01 AM EDT
[#39]
IS THIS A TRICK QUESTION lol
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:30:46 AM EDT
[#40]
I doubt the amount inhaled would have any significant effect on our health.  Several years of urban smog will do more damage than a lifetime of inhaling a little black powder.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top