Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2005 7:14:07 AM EDT
My Dad was at the Fort Worth gun show and a dealer told him that a Dallas officer was unloading some Bushmasters because Dallas PD would only allow Colts or RRA's.  Any truth to this?  I recently ordered an LMT rifle that I intended to use as a shooter/partol carbine.

I would definately like to find out if this rifle is allowed before I take it to the range and fire the first round through it.  I'm currently in the background stage but don't want to send up flags as a "gun nut" if I start calling the dept about their firearm policies.

Also, if it's not on the approved list, is their a way to have them take a look at them for consideration.  Before I went in to the military I was looking at Austin PD and at the time they had a liberal duty weapon policy, just specified caliber and most major manufacturers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You might get more of a response in the Texas Forum.

I'd say that if you work for the department, your best bet would be to ask your supervisor what is allowed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't work their yet, just an applicant in the background stage.  I would call the dept but don't want to set off any flags asking ?'s about their weapons policies before I'm hired.  I just want to make sure that the rifle will work before I fire it an lose it's "new in box" value.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Defintely go to the Texas forums. Also, some departments do have liberal duty weapons policies while others do not. Do not expect them to change anything that is not already on their approved weapons list either. Someone in the loop may only like the specific brands that are already approved and all others are out the door. Someone at my department doesn't like Mossberg shotguns so guess what? We aren't allowed to carry them. You may be able to call the PD and ask for their training dept. and ask what AR15 brands are authorized for their officers to carry. They don't need to know it is you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I'll probably take your recommendation on calling the training dept.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are an applicant, don't call anyone, don't ask any questions, just be quiet and don't raise any flags.  Training and hiring usually work pretty close together.

Go to the Texas forum, or to the LEO section of the site and ask your questions there.  You aren't even a rookie yet, and the last thing you want is to make a name for yourself at this stage.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top