Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/7/2005 6:38:32 PM EDT
I'm currently acquiring parts for my new AR build while I wait for an 18" barrel to come in.  In the mean time, I'm trying to decide which length free float to purchase.  So far, I've decided on the Larue handgaurd but I'm not sure if I should get the 12" or the 13.2" length.  Does anyone have any recommendations as to which length I should go for?  Also any pictures of them on an 18" barrel would be nice.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm getting a 13.2 wiwth my Noveske 18in.  It arrived today at my local FFL, Jensen's AZ Sportsman in Tucson, but the bastards didn't have time to check it in before the weekend.  Their girl had to go home early.  Last business I do with them.  And that was for 50 frickin' bucks!!!!!!!

Anyway, I'll let you know how it looks monday, if I haven't pulled out all my hair by then.  What barrel are you doing?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you going to be using a gas block/front sight combo? (Assuming you're using a rilfe length gas system) The 13.2 should cover up the gas block and adding a secondary one for iron sights just adds weight.

If you're going to use a front sight/gas block combo, go with the 12.0.
If you're going to have no front sight, or a rail mounted front flip up sight, go with the 13.2.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#4]
it'll be for a midlength gas system and i'll be using a rail mounted front sight.  is there any reason why you wouldnt use the 12" for the rail mounted sight vs the 13.2"?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
With a mid length gas system, your gas block will be under the handguards, so that clears that up.

The 13.2 would be a plus as it will give you a slightly longer sight radius. However, it will add weight. There's no significant difference in functionality for either IMO. A little lighter (12.0), or a little more sight radius (13.2). A rail mounted sight would work great on either. It basically comes down to which one you like the best.

I myself would go with the 13.2 just because I think the lesser exposed the barrel is, the cooler it looks. That's just my opinion and either one is sure to be satisfying.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with the 13.2  
Lots of rail-estate for gadgetry which you dont need. It works awesome on my 14.5" noveske afghan barrel.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm getting a 13.2 wiwth my Noveske 18in.  It arrived today at my local FFL, Jensen's AZ Sportsman in Tucson, but the bastards didn't have time to check it in before the weekend.  Their girl had to go home early.  Last business I do with them.  And that was for 50 frickin' bucks!!!!!!!

Anyway, I'll let you know how it looks monday, if I haven't pulled out all my hair by then.  What barrel are you doing?

I'm waiting on an 18in Noveske barrel to come in as well.  Seems like the consensus here is to go with the 13.2" FF.  If you could take some pics of your setup for me, that'd be awesome.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys!  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#8]
why not both?

i like the pri front barrel mounted flip sight and would prefer them over a rail mounted one so i would vote 12.0 but then again the 13.2 would offer more rail estate as mentioned above and less barrel exposed is always good too.

so yeah im torn between the two.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, Jensen's of Tucson will know I'm not happy, and they won't wonder why they don't see me around anymore.

Noveske sets his 18in up with 13.2 when he does a complete rifle.  The difference in weight is almost exactly 1 ounce.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Use the 13.2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top