Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2005 6:32:08 PM EDT
Just wondering what I should choose to Co-Witness with my EOTech on my Colt A3 (mounted directly on the rail without a riser).

Have read good things about both, but didn't really find much about this when I did a search on BUIS's.

Any input from those with experience here (or a link that I couldn't find) would be greatly appreciated.

5Shot
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Good timing, I was thinkign the exact same.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the Troy flip front sight and the A.R.M.S. 40 a2 rear sight with the Eotech mounted directly on the rail and it works good. The Troy rear sight is nice also but I prefur the windage knob on the A.R.M.S. sight to the Troy. You should be good with either though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I use the Troy flip front sight and the A.R.M.S. 40 a2 rear sight with the Eotech

Is the Troy font sight Mil-Spec height? - I have the factory front sight on mine (Colt 6721).

Thanks,

5Shot
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Had both, and the Troy is a much better sight. Both are the proper height.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the ARMS and it is a top notch BUIS.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I have used the ARMS #40, #40L and the Troy BUIS during various shooting sessions and carbine classes.  After using the Troy BUIS for nearly a year and the ARMS #40 for two years I can say from experience that the Troy BUIS is a superior sight for what I use it for.

The ARMS #40 windage knob is located on the left side of the sight housing.  I am a right handed shooter.  When I carry the rifle or hold it at the low ready the sight knob WILL catch of my LBH or chest harness.  I mark the center "zero" position on my rear sights, during a two day carbine class when I looked at the ARMS #40 I noticed that the sight had moved 4 clicks right of center.  I though that maybe it was a fluke so I moved the knob back to the center "zero" position.  The sight ultimately got knocked off center three or four more times during the class.  I sold all of my ARMS #40s the following Monday.  I like a same plane rear aperture on my BUISs which the ARMS does not have standard.  

The Troy BUIS has the windage knob located on the right side and is very difficult to change without a bullet.  The ability to positively lock the sight in the up position, same plane rear apeture, and the low profile of the Troy BUIS are nice features.

I recommend the Troy BUIS if you are looking for a flip up rear sight because it is very comforting to know that your rifle will hit where you aim.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I like my ARMS 40 so far.

I haven't had the problems that Azalin has had, but I've only had it for a month and a half.

If it does end up moving, I think I'll drill a hole and roll-pin it in place to fix it. I like the way the site is set up, though. I find myself using the big aperture the most anyways, so it popping up first is ideal for me.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I like the ARMS BUIS. I have ot hsd any problems with it changing POI, but I could understand how it could happen. Along the same lines on the EOTech,  a fews weeks ago somebody posted on here, why have a flat top with a front sight, so I thought, good point. SOOOOO ... I got my flat top out and ordered a YHM folding front sight on mine , and really liked it,  It made my EOTech so much easier to use. Nothing in the way. It is hard to imagine how much better the Halo-thingy works till you try it with out the front sight in the way. a whole lot quicker. Really nice.

BUT I wanted to have 2 front rails, so I ordered the 3 rail add on.

It would not fit around the gas block. So I took it off and got a gas block that had 4 rails on it,

then got a YHM fold down front site.

I have a grren laser on the bottom rail, a M3 Streamlight on the left rail, where I can use my thumb to turn it on and off. I tried handguards with rails, but did not like the way they felt, even with the covers. I like this set up the best of all that I have tried. This has worked really well for me. I have been meaning to thank the guy who asked the question to start with.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Over 90% of the people who have used Troy and ARMS rears prefer the Troy, myslef included.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:29:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the input !!!

Tankdriver - where did you find the 4 rail gas block?

5Shot
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Over 90% of the people who have used Troy and ARMS rears prefer the Troy, myslef included.

In the words of my old drill instructor, "There's always that 10%."

I have both, and like my ARMS better.  Of course I understand that troy has changed their sight to have the large and small aperature now.  If i had that one, it would be hard to decide.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I went with the ARMS #40 for cost reasons. I haven't compared it with anything else, but I like it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#13]
tankdriver,
I believe the last pic you posted is of the GG&G front sight and not the YHM.

5Shot,
I have the Troy rear BUIS and it is exactly what I wanted.  Really well built and same plane aperture.

As an aside, the Troy front BUIS is not designed to go on a gas block but on a rail the same height as the flatop rail.  I was told by Troy that they are working on a version to go on the gas block.  I am not sure when this might happen however.

Seydou

ETA: You can get the four rail gas block direct from YHM.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the arms 40L and have been very happy with it .  It was nearly perfect when attached to my carbine.  Only had to make a minor adjustment to get my sites lined up.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input !!!

Tankdriver - where did you find the 4 rail gas block?

5Shot

J&T Dist.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
tankdriver,
I believe the last pic you posted is of the GG&G front sight and not the YHM.

You are correct... the YMH was the gas block sight combo....
Sorry
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the Troy (with large and small apertures) and the Eotech 552.  Perfect co-witness with no risers.  The Troy also gives plenty of clearance should you want to mount a scope.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I personally use the Troy.  I have both so I have experience with both.  I just prefer the Troy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#19]
My Troy will Co-witness' in the bottom 1/3 of my EOTech mounted directly on my MRP rail.

Tack
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I think I will save my pennies and give the Troy a shot - thanks for all of the replies.

5Shot
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Good decision on the Troy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#22]
For anyone interestedm Auction Arms has a 4 rail gas block on auction now, As Schultz would say,....I know nothing about the add or the seller.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top