Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 3:23:56 PM EDT
I already have two Colt ARs, a twenty inch barrel and a sixteen inch carbine.  I originally wanted to SBR an AR, but I came to the conclusion that one of the XM clones with the 11.5" barrel with the 5.5" flash suppressor is almost as short, only about 3 inches longer than an 11.5 inch barrel with the A2 flash suppressor and I can save the $200.00 transfer and the B.S. of getting it registered.  So, I'm considering buying a Bushmaster(complete) or buying a DPMS(buying a complete lower and buying a complete upper and assembling them).  I'm somewhat familiar with Bushmasters, but I'm not familiar with DPMS.  Which shoud I get and why.  If I go with the DPMS, it'll cost around $720.00, but if I go with the Bushmaster, it'll be around $890.00.  Is the difference in quality worth the $170.00?  Please give me some insight guys!  Thanks in advance-ARKAR.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a DPMS last month. I did it because of the price difference as well. I really like mine so far. I can't tell you anything like "25,000 rounds and still going strong!" though because I haven't had it that long. IMHO you'll probably be happy with either gun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#2]

I have a Bushmaster M4/A3 with a 16" bbl and love it, however I have never had experience with DPMS but have heard many horror stories about their firearms. My uncle has three Colts and compared to my Bushmaster in my personal opinion is a much better product. I only paid $888 new. Stay away from the DPMS go with a Bushy, RRA, Armalite or a colt, if I were you I would go with the Bushy or the RRA.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I would get the Bushy.

Better barrel steel and it is guaranteed to be chrome lined.

I bet you would be pleased with DPMS as well, though.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
DPMS will chrome line barrels but it's not standard.  I forgot that they do use 4140 instead of the 4150 steel bushy uses. Just things to consider. I plan to shoot this barrel out eventually and already have a Bushmaster replacement barrel on deck!

Went with bushy for replacement barrel cuz chrome is standard and 4150 steel for just about the same price as DPMS.

I really do like my DPMS so far.  Finish looks good, fits together well, and shoots better than I can! I don't know if I just got an exceptionally good DPMS or what, but I'm not complaining.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I just picked up my first AR , a week ago - a never fired DPMS - I emailed DPMS they told me the gun was sold as a complete gun May 2004 and are sending me an owner's manual.

I like the gun the couple of times I've been out with it - it has a big thick 16" barrel, flat top no sights -- the previous owner mounted a Bushnell Halosight with is pretty fun.

I'd get another DPMS and might well buy a lower for next AR/first build.

Just an other "I like mine" opinion.

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a DPMS AP4 (M4) with 16" Chrome lined barrel and it is a great rifle. And I saved a few dollars by going with the DPMS over the Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#7]
either one will make a great rifle.  get the one with the features you want.

Or, get a RRA.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:57:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have owned both DPMS and Bushmaster rifles. While I currently own yet another Bushy, along with a JP, I would not hesitate to buy another DPMS. I do feel that the Bushmaster has a slightly higher quality then the DPMS, I do not have anything bad I could say about either.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top