Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2005 12:19:10 PM EDT
I was perusing the forums looking for info about VLTORs new rail and came accross some neat threads. I saw one on the Novekse Krink and followed an off forum link and review.

www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=otherguns&Number=5149

Using the KFH, I fired approximately 30 rounds, outdoors, with no ear protection. Even 1 round would have been extremely painful with the A2 flash hider but the KFH directed the gas/blast downrange and away from me. The lack of blast was very noticeable and I fired all 30 rounds without any discomfort. Additionally, I fired another 30 rounds of mixed ammunition with my bare hand 1/2" beside the KFH with my wrist equal to the front of the KFH "muzzle". With even a 20" M16, I would have severely scorched my hand. With a 10" M16, my hand would have been severely hurt and burned. Using the KFH, all I felt was a slight bit of gas pressure against my bare hand. Now imagine that difference 12" beside your head...

Is he for real? I have a 16 inch rifle that I am going to overhaul with a plethora of new gear before I hit up a carbine class here at the preasidium in Tulsa Ok. If it's true that I can shoot my carbine with such powerfull noise redirection I would / WILL be all over this product. What do you guys think about your krink brakes? I have shot my 16 inch once without hearing protection just to see what I could expect fom the rifle and needless to say that hurt. This krink brake has me pretty excited.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
NO.

I would compare shooting my 11.5 inch with krink to be less noise and bast than a 20 in barrel.

I took one shot without my muffs, my ears did not ring (like they would normally, I wouldn't dare take a shot without protection with an 11.5, it's painful). However my ears were on the verge of ringing and with more shots it would have started.

For me it's a huge improvement, but not enough to forego the plugs.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The decibel level at which permanent hearing damage occurs
is lower than the pain threshold. I wish that I could recall exact numbers.

In a word, NO.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#3]
So, does it relegate it to about a 12ga blast?

They seem to be quieter than rifles and they don't hurt as much.

I really want to get something that will be easier on my ears for coyote hunting this winter.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#4]
More or less what I was asking... I know it won't have the same effect as if I had an SBR...  but on a 16 inch could I take a few shots without my ears bleeding? It would be pretty neat to have for when I go outdoors to shoot wild dogs or other animal miscreants.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes they are.....if you are already deaf.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I feel better with a krink if I HAVE to take a shot.

Anything beyond that I'd be putting on the muffs.

I have no experience with it on a 16 inch barrel, I don't think the weight and length would be worth it on such a barrel.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yes they are.....if you are already deaf.

WHAT????.....

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

In a word, NO.

Permanent hearing damage starts to occur at 85db. That is not much when you think about it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In a word, NO.

Permanent hearing damage starts to occur at 85db. That is not much when you think about it.

Threshold for impact noise is higher. I have seen it placed at 100, 120 and the Europeans place it at 140 Db.

I would not fire a krink equipped weapon without earpro unless I really needed to. I would consider hunting with one on a 20" barrel, if I expected shots to be few and far between, and that I wouldnt have time for earpro.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one on a 11.5" SBR.  I can take one or two shots with no earpro without too much pain, PROVIDED there are no highly reflective surfaces right in front of me.  It works well, when you consider that an 11.5" with birdcage is almost painful WITH earpro.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#11]
If you didn't need plugs it would be a sound suppressor, and registered as such.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:17:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you didn't need plugs it would be a sound suppressor, and registered as such.

Not if it is really effective at directing sound in a different direction, but not actually reducing intensity.

(I believe - it's an interesting question as to what the word "supression" actually means).
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
More or less what I was asking... I know it won't have the same effect as if I had an SBR...  but on a 16 inch could I take a few shots without my ears bleeding? It would be pretty neat to have for when I go outdoors to shoot wild dogs or other animal miscreants.

I hate to be the one to sound mean, but if you can't handle shooting a few rounds through ANY gun without protection... well, let's just say your training wrong.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate to be the one to sound mean, but if you can't handle shooting a few rounds through ANY gun without protection... well, let's just say your training wrong.

Yeah - I really appreciate all the hearing loss I have a result of my awesome training in the military!  

(Granted - it was more than just "a few" rounds )
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if it is really effective at directing sound in a different direction, but not actually reducing intensity.

(I believe - it's an interesting question as to what the word "supression" actually means).

Well, this is sort of what I suspected (and discussed) over on 10-8.  ATF has ruled that it is NOT a suppressor, so I assume reason prevailed.  

For those of you who have never shot a Krink-braked 5.56, if you're used to the earsplitting blast of 10" and 11.5" barrels you will be shocked at how much more pleasant the Krink is.  It would almost make you think of some kind of sound moderator.

Until you break the plane of the muzzle and get in front of it.  You'll suddenly figure out where all that sound went: straight FORWARD.  It is so bad in front that I was doing some shoot on the move drills from 10 to 2 yards, and by 4 yards the sound reflecting back from the cardboard IPSC target was ringing my bell even through my Sordins.

It's not a suppressor.  It just redirects the sound very efficiently.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I'll have to save my pennies and get one.

While I don't especially like the look of them, nor the price, I think it might help a little.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1

For my 10.5" it might be a pretty neat addition.

Anyone have a quick link for where to buy them (is there a new model coming out soon?)

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
www.jnrifleworks.com

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

For my 10.5" it might be a pretty neat addition.

Anyone have a quick link for where to buy them (is there a new model coming out soon?)

I have the newest rev of the Krink in stock.

C4

Cool - they're everywhere!  Thanks!  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool - they're everywhere!  Thanks!  

Well not really. Noveske has come up with his own design (so to speak) and made some enhancements over the US version of the Krink. As far as I know, I am the ONLY dealer with them.

C4

Thanks for the clarification.  If/when I decide to get one, I'll definitely give you a holler.

(It might be a little while, since they're a little pricier than I thought - and all the money I'm spending on my damn cat is cramping my budget  ).
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Guys,
I would NEVER recommend shooting anything without ear pro. Period. That being said, sometimes defensive/offensive firearms use requires use of a weapon without ear pro. Going from a surveillance to a take-down unexpectedly or doing an emergency hostage rescue comes to mind.

There are lots of dudes out there with serious hearing loss from shooting Commando length 5.56mm carbines indoors without ear pro. The Noveske KFH doesn’t eliminate the risk of hearing damage but it certainly lessens it. For those times when ear pro just isn't a viable option, the KFH really offers something on the short guns. That being said, I wouldn't make it a standard practice by ay means. A few rounds to check out the concept/sound level is probably okay and then save the rest of  them for when you are trying to avoid high velocity lead poisoning.

The reduction in sideways muzzle blast is also HUGE indoors, in a team environment.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
David's entire post

BIG +1
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Guys,
I would NEVER recommend shooting anything without ear pro. Period. That being said, sometimes defensive/offensive firearms use requires use of a weapon without ear pro. Going from a surveillance to a take-down unexpectedly or doing an emergency hostage rescue comes to mind.

There are lots of dudes out there with serious hearing loss from shooting Commando length 5.56mm carbines indoors without ear pro. The Noveske KFH doesn’t eliminate the risk of hearing damage but it certainly lessens it. For those times when ear pro just isn't a viable option, the KFH really offers something on the short guns. That being said, I wouldn't make it a standard practice by ay means. A few rounds to check out the concept/sound level is probably okay and then save the rest of  them for when you are trying to avoid high velocity lead poisoning.

The reduction in sideways muzzle blast is also HUGE indoors, in a team environment.

What effect does shooting it indoors have? Is sound coming back from the far wall a problem?

You have shot the Scrambler at Gunsite, haven't you? Remember the box

I'll never forget it. Not after that decibel level.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#27]
He put his hand 1/2" inside the FH?? What kind of idiot would do that??
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:20:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Beside, not inside.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:10:47 AM EDT
[#29]
I was running my standard M4 with SureFire comp adapter (ie A2 FH) at Gunsite so I can't comment on the Scrambler box. I MUCH prefer standard 14.5" CAR-15s to the standard gas system short (10.5-11.5") guns. I'm at the point where the only CAR-15/M4 type weapons I'd chose for serious work are Colts with 14.5"+ barrels; the Commando length guns, while some are flawless, just aren't as generally reliable. I know there are individual guns that run great but, across the tens of thousands of short guns out there, there are a bunch that are so-so.

I have shot the KFH indoors however and the reduction of blast is tremendous.

Blanco_Diablo, I put my hand beside the KFH not inside of it. The only purpose of this test was to check muzzle blast to the side. This is seriously important in a team setting where you and your teammates will shoot beside and past each other. I'd appreciate not being called an idiot because of your lack of reading skills.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:29:17 AM EDT
[#30]

I'd appreciate not being called an idiot because of your lack of reading skills.

LOL.....some folks can't read.

I plan to do some sound level testing of the KFH next week and will post the results. My plans are to place the SPL meter in various position covering the 360 deg around the shooter.

Bomber
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Has anyone tried one of these bad boys on a 20"?  If so, did it have a similar quieting (from the shooters perspective) effect?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:42:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#33]
I have allot of mass in my 16 inch upper... so I am wondering how the krink would affect my preformance with a 9mm buffer and a m16 bolt carrier.

I would probably order one of those fat gas tubes to bring my rate down if it appeared the krink was speeding up my rate or inducing malfunction. I am really interested in redirecting that sound.  

No one has slapped one of these on a 16 inch with a h2 or 9mm buffer?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I've put the Krink on a 416 Upper and it shoots beautifully.  The blast was definitely redirected forward.  I would not recommend using without hearing protection.  It was still loud, but the concussion was definitely gone.  I *highly* recommend this.  It actually looks great... I sent one of the mods a picture, i'd post it here but I'm sure it'd turn into a thread not related to the Krink.

By the way, I bought it from Noveske, I have to say it's a great product, service was good, and the construction is wonderful.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I'd like to hear a little more on how the rifles were malfunctioning.

I'd hate to spend that money to turn my rifle into a high capacity bolt action.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Blanco_Diablo, I put my hand beside the KFH not inside of it. The only purpose of this test was to check muzzle blast to the side. This is seriously important in a team setting where you and your teammates will shoot beside and past each other. I'd appreciate not being called an idiot because of your lack of reading skills.

Sorry, I misread it. You don't have to get your panties in a twist.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Has anyone tried one of these bad boys on a 20"?  If so, did it have a similar quieting (from the shooters perspective) effect?

The Krink is made for short barreled AR's (not 20, 18 or 16). There have been some members that have put the Krink on a 16" upper (which induced malfunctions).

C4

I'd like to hear about these malfunctions as well.  I've been following the development of these devices and haven't heard much about them on long guns and this is the first I've heard about the malfunctions...

Spooky
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:59:57 PM EDT
[#39]
IS the ONLY advantage the sound?  What about recoil???  How does it compair to the MSTN brake?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Denny at  WWW.GLOBALTACTICAL.COM  also has them. Be sure to ask for the laser engraved fire breathing pig on the Krink. Doesn't cost any extra either. Price is the same about everywhere I looked including the shop that makes them....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top