Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2005 8:33:05 AM EDT
I am running an aimpoint M3 with magnifier on an M4gery.  And I cant get a classic military nose to charging handle cheek weld.  I know that in basic Drill Sergeant Maynes stressed the importance of a nose to charging handle cheek weld and threatened to put a boot up my ass if I didnt have that weld.  But it is impossible to get there on my carbine and still maintain maximum field of veiw. So hive mind how important is it.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:36:44 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, the nose to charging handle cheek weld is meant for the shooter to have the same sight picture everytime. Notice as you move back and forth on the stock your sight picture will get smaller and bigger and this may change your POI if you constantly have a different cheekweld position everytime you lift your head. If you have a reddot or other optic I dont believe it matters.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Helps build muscle memory by having the same posture/sight picture everytime.  Helps you shoot more accurately, get a good shooting position faster, acquire targets and engage them quicker.

Very important, but just one of many techniques needed to be an effective shooter.

ETA: Muscle memory and that good position is just as important for red dots, IMO.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:12:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:16:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the buttstock to hip method.  It's consistent.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#5]
For me the tactile sensation of feeling the tip of my nose against the CH is what tells me I'm in the right place.

And I agree, consistency is the key.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Helps build muscle memory by having the same posture/sight picture everytime.  Helps you shoot more accurately, get a good shooting position faster, acquire targets and engage them quicker.

Very important, but just one of many techniques needed to be an effective shooter.

ETA: Muscle memory and that good position is just as important for red dots, IMO.

Consistancy is the key to accuracy.  It doesnt matter where your nose is in relation the charging handle, as long as its in the same place every time.

+1000 to what bigbore said.  Putting the nose to the charging handle just makes it easier for a lot people because it gives you a tactile index to let you know that you are in position.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Again Consistancy is the key to accuracy - ESPECIALLY FOR IRON SIGHTs.  The nose-to-charging handle is for iron sight use.  

With an Aimpoint it really doesn't matter, since you don't have to align two differnent pieces of metal.  This is what makes Red-Dots so easy and fast to use.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Again Consistancy is the key to accuracy - ESPECIALLY FOR IRON SIGHTs.  The nose-to-charging handle is for iron sight use.  

With an Aimpoint it really doesn't matter, since you don't have to align two differnent pieces of metal.  This is what makes Red-Dots so easy and fast to use.

true...
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry. Didnt mean consistency isnt important, just using that specific position isnt necessarily the only one you should use. I have my own personal position further back that for the most part, get consistently. Im not in the sandbox and only fight the guys on paper and the occasional milk jug so it works for me. But still muscle memory is definetly important in speed and accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#10]
You mean off hand or prone?  If off hand you need to keep your elbow in and stock nearly closed.  If prone you should have less of a problem since the stock is nearly closed anyway.  Lay your head forward and not sideways.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
IIRC, the nose to charging handle cheek weld is meant for the shooter to have the same sight picture everytime. Notice as you move back and forth on the stock your sight picture will get smaller and bigger and this may change your POI if you constantly have a different cheekweld position everytime you lift your head. If you have a reddot or other optic I dont believe it matters.

Moving your head back and forth along the stock will change your POI but not for the reasons you state.  Moving the head back and forth changes eye releif, not sight picture.  Moving the head back and forth also changes the forces bearing down on the rifle, and that change will change the rifle's recoil pattern and poi on target.  

Guaranteed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The nose-to-charging handle is for iron sight use.  

Consistancy is the key to accuracy. It doesnt matter where your nose is in relation the charging handle, as long as its in the same place every time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Consistency is important, for any sights.  

I think another benefit is a better shooting position.  I see many  many people who are almost leaning back, their cheek half way or farther back on the stock.  I don't see how it is possible to get a good, stable shooting position like that.  When you move your head forward slightly to stick your nose on the charging handle, it forces you to lean into your weapon.

There are a whole lot of mechanics involved in shooting well, sight picture, stance, breath control, trigger squeeze, etc., etc....  I think putting your nose up there helps with two of them.  

But that's just my opinion
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:47:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Consistancy is the key to accuracy.  It doesnt matter where your nose is in relation the charging handle, as long as its in the same place every time.

+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Nose to charging handle even works with an ACOG. I have been using it over here in Iraq and though it was a bit odd at first, I do enjoy it. Warning shots are a differnt ball game altogether...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top