Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2005 7:43:48 PM EDT
Hey all, just stocking up on supplies for the up and coming zombie invasion and was wondering what the consesous was for the amount of rounds through a new mag before you deem it reliable.  I really don't know, so any ideas are appreciated.  Thanx.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I run it out slow fire, and rapid fire , then its fine for what I do.

I only run GI mags,with Magpul followers, never have issues.

The only bad mag I ever had for my AR had a nasty dent in it ,and smelled like an armpit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hey all, just stocking up on supplies for the up and coming zombie invasion and was wondering what the consesous was for the amount of rounds through a new mag before you deem it reliable.  I really don't know, so any ideas are appreciated.  Thanx.

I wouldn't know about a "new" magazine.  All the ones I have are well used and abused mil-surp ones.  Most of them I've run through several hundred rounds.  Contrary to what I see on here I've had the most problems with OKay of the ones I have.  Least problems with early Adventure Line and Parsons Precision.  I also have some Simmonds (good) and later Center industries (not quite as good).  FWIW, all of my 20 round mags work 100%, its only the 30 rounders that I've ever had any misfeeds in, and only a few of  those out of over a dozen have had a problem .  Sample rate is small enough to be almost inconsequential, so I will pretty much still buy any good looking GI surplus mags I can find.  I plan to replace the (undoubtedly original) springs and followers in the few 30 rounders which I've had any problems and hopefully that will take care of it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]
All of my 30's have Magpul followers...the cheapest way to enhance you rifle's reliability.  IMO it is an ABSOLUTE MUST!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I put magpul followers in my magazines and considered them G2G.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:45:05 PM EDT
[#5]
You should at least push the follower up and down a few times with a ruler before relying on them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:29:42 AM EDT
[#6]
magpul followers and wolff + springs
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:51:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Personally - I fully load and emtpy (at the range ) a mag at least twice without any kind of issues before I will consider it good to go.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:24:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I had mostly mags with the finish worn off , so that was reason enough to buy DH mags, ranger plates and thier anti-tilt followers.but I know what you mean.the rounds when I pull them out by hand I can feel a big difference old v new.I have a cure for that, shoot as much and often as possible.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I load and shoot new mags twice each--60 rds. through my 30's and 40 rds. through my 20's before I load'em and leave'em for range time/SHTF/etc.  

I will only own quality mags purchased as NIB so I always know the mileage on them.  For me, this eliminates the need for different/stronger springs, hopped-up followers, and the like.  Most used GI mags show their mileage, and quality new mags are cheap and easy to find now anyway.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Mags seldom fail to function fully loaded, with the first few rounds.  Usually the problem is in the last few rounds.  Load a new mag with only 5 rounds, and test like that for about 20 rounds, shooting 5 until the slide locks back.  If that works, load it up and try a full 30.  If this works, it is good to go.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top