Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 7:12:55 PM EDT
Here is a pic of a 16" barrel I picked up on trade.  Does anybody know who made it?

srt205

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Any markins forward of the FSB on the barrel or under tha handguards near the chamber?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
From a couple of its features, it sure does look COLT manufactured... But its impossible to be 100% sure if it doesn't have any markings on it...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
no markings but is on an early Colt A1 slab side receiver.  the finish was worn off so I reparked it.  I have the CH and straight delta assy also.

srt205
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say its COLT then... The COLT marked A-1 receiver, thin barrel under the FSB and its lenght has me believing its COLT...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Cut down SP1 pencil barrel, COLT.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont beieve its a cut down SP1 barrel... Its an original length carbine barrel... Ive owned several in the past, vietnam era surplus...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#7]
what is it worth?

srt205
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
what is it worth?

srt205

That would depend on the bore/rifling, finish of the barrel and the condition of the receiver... If everything is in pretty nice shape, Id say anywhere between $150 and $200...
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't think it's a Colt.  I've never seen a Colt barrel that wasn't marked somewhere on the barrel.  Additionally, the front sling swivel is retained by a roll pin.  Every Colt barrel I've seen uses a rivet to retain the swivel.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Didnt early Colt rifles use the roll pins on the FSB?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#11]
There might be some clues in the pics in this thread
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:09:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Come to think about it, I do beleive at least one of the barrels that I used to have had allen head set screws which held the FSB in place?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't think it's a Colt.  I've never seen a Colt barrel that wasn't marked somewhere on the barrel.  Additionally, the front sling swivel is retained by a roll pin.  Every Colt barrel I've seen uses a rivet to retain the swivel.

The early, early barrels were not exactly figured out yet and went through tremendous change since. Im trying to think,  I realy cant remember if the barrels I used to have had roll pins or rivets... I do know one thing, I wish I still owned them  

It would be nice if scottryan or Ekie would find this topic and straighten us out Where you guys at?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:04:30 AM EDT
[#14]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pun, if you are referring to the sling swivels, I think you're right.  I'm pretty sure they've used rivets exclusively for the last 25-30 years though. Of course, it could have been replaced by a roll pin at any time.

I still believe that all Colt carbine barrels were marked somehow.  I do know, however, that the very early 20" barrels had minimal markings compared to later barrels.

srt205, since you say the barrel finish was worn and reparked, is it possible any original markings were worn to the point of not being visible?

FWIW, the barrel looks to me be about 14.5".  I base this on the position of the flats on the brake, which I assume (yah, I know) indicate the muzzle end of the barrel, and the distance between the flats and the front sight tower.

[edited for format]
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#15]
It was actually missing the sling swivel so replaced it and the roll pin.  I looked everywhere for some type of marking but could not find any.  We have some early Colt 20" uppers at the shop so I looked at them and they did not hae any markings on the barrel.  The packaging was dated 5/65 on those uppers.

I measured this barrel and it is 12.5in + the 4.5in FH.  The bore is nice and it shoots straight.

If anyone is interested I will sell the barrel with handguards, gas tube, and new style delta ring assy for $150.00 shipped.

srt205
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It was actually missing the sling swivel so replaced it and the roll pin.  I looked everywhere for some type of marking but could not find any.  We have some early Colt 20" uppers at the shop so I looked at them and they did not hae any markings on the barrel.  The packaging was dated 5/65 on those uppers.

I measured this barrel and it is 12.5in + the 4.5in FH.  The bore is nice and it shoots straight.

If anyone is interested I will sell the barrel with handguards, gas tube, and new style delta ring assy for $150.00 shipped.

srt205

That is the same length barrel I had too...  

Damn, when I clicked the reply button, the price was $130.00... Damn that inflation
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#17]
i decided to include the extra parts other than just barrel.

srt205
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I kind of figured that Its still a very good deal... If I didnt just buy 2 pistols earlier today, I would jump on that deal...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top