Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 4:55:36 PM EDT
I built another lightweight from JT adn noticed that if you ride the charging handle while letting the bolt carrier move forward it won't go all the way. The carrier stops about 3/4 the way forward. Seems friction related. If I let the handle slam forward like you would normally it's fine. It's not hanging on anything. It just seems that the carrier and upper have a slightly tighter fit. None of my other ARs do this. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you grease your buffer springs really well?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Do you grease your buffer springs really well?

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#3]
A few common things that cause what your experiencing...

1.) The carrier could be dragging on the hammer...

2.) If the bolt is making contact with the barrel extension, it could be caused by the gas rings having a tight fit in the carrier...

3.) The gas tube is not aligned properly and is making contact with the carrier key...

4.) The receiver is out of spec, twisted or has a burr causing the carrier to drag...

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Let the bolt carrier slam home a few times (as it is the proper way of charging).  A normal operation of this sort will eventually "clean" all the rough spots.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I built another lightweight from JT adn noticed that if you ride the charging handle while letting the bolt carrier move forward it won't go all the way. The carrier stops about 3/4 the way forward. Any thoughts?

I think its fine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Remove your bolt from your carrier and set it aside.
Insert the carrier into the reciever, watch and feel as the key goes over the gas tube.

If it's lined up correctly,  it should be very smooth.  If the tube is out of alignment, it will bind a bit and cause drag.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Don`t ride the charging handle!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a case of new rifle needs to be shot and broken in.Until you run a couple thousand rounds through it its gonna be stiff and tight.My Bushmasters when new did that,you could use the forward assist to close it the rest of the way.Its just new and tight...shoot and shoot it it sounds fine.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Shoot it a couple hundred rounds before you trouble shoot it.  I don't think riding the CH is proper protocol!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top