Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2005 6:33:47 PM EDT
I like my M14 clone, it's an Armscorp with GI parts and shoots real fine. However, I'm not emotionally attached to it.

If I sell it, one of the rifles I'm considering is a Bushmaster or Rock River 20 inch bbl A3 type rifle.
I already have a Shorty Bushmaster in no-ban config. 14.5 bbl w/permanantly attached Phantom FH. It's set up with an M2 Aimpoint. It's a keeper!

I would set up the 20" with a Harris bi-pod and some type of low power scope. I have a Simmons 1.5-5x20 Pro Diamond that I could use until I can get something more "high speed".

Although I would be giving up some balistic horsepower in the .308, I would gain advantages in only having to keep one caliber of ammo in stock for both AR's. Same tools, mags & etc. Also everyone in the family can shoot the AR's. I'll never be able to teach the wife to shoot the M14. She will shoot the AR and likes it, but won't get behind the M14.

Based on all I've read over the years it would seem that 5.56 would be plenty for any civilian defensive use I can imagine. I've got two scoped bolt guns in 30.06 if hunting something big is a requirement. Don't keep much ammo on hand for those however.

I know someone's gonna say it...but I can't keep the M14 if I'm going to get another AR, money is too tight. In a perfect world I'd just keep adding to my collection but educating kids and paying bills off makes the budget very tight.

Maybe I'll just sell the M14 and get another FAL, or keep the M14. Can't decide...

What ya'll think?

Fly or drive safe,

Flyer
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Sell it, and get a FAL and another AR.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#2]
What about just buying a 20" upper?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're not attached to it, sell it and get another AR.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:56:12 PM EDT
[#4]
If I sell the M14 some of the $$ is going toward belt, holster, mags & etc so I can get started shooting IPSC/USPSA with my son who is already into it. I'm feeling very left out at the matches so I going to start with my 1911, just need to get all the kit.

There will only be enough $$ left over for one rifle.

Flyer
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#5]
how much?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
how much?

+1
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking $1200 for everything...

Armscorp (Marked M21) dual lug receiver.

TRW bolt

Winchester barrel (very good condition, shoots 1.5 to 2 MOA with Aussie 7.62)

HRA op rod

NM rear sight

Fulton NM flash hider with bayo lug

A very crisp Springfield trigger group. Must have been tweaked by someone.

It's in a tan painted GI synthetic stock

Also will be a GI wood stock

Armcorp scope mount

cleaning kit

flash hider pliers

green nylon GI sling

Two new contract GI mags.

I think that's all,

Flyer
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it's important for you to determine your "group standard" since you're outfitting not only yourself but your wife. (Perhaps others as well?)

By the sound of it- if you were to keep your M14 clone, your wife will have the AR15 and you would have the M14 in hand when engaging large crowds of mutant biker zombies? If you envision yourself engaging the MBZs w/ your AR vs. the M14, then you better get rid of the M14 as you just stated your wife won't be packing it.

I'm caught in a similar situation.  I have, ahem, a couple of desirable Pre-89 chi-comm AKs that are worth more than what I feel they are.  With a few ARs tucked away, I'm not hurting but every time I envision engaging a morading horde of MBZs- I ain't got an AK in my hands.  It's always my AR.  Hence I'd rather if I was sharing my guns with someone else against those MZBs- I'd prefer they had the same weapon platform as myself.

HTH

Sly
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I my experience when it comes to guns, get what you want.  After you have the guns you want, then rationalize on the next purchase.  Otherwise you will spend your time thinking/wishing you should have just went ahead and got what you wanted from the get go and maybe by that time it could be too late...

Kind of like women.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Ilinigunner21,

I sent you an IM but the computer I'm on is kinda flakey so I don't know if it was sent or not.

I'm out of town at the moment. I'll be back home to better internet access soon.

Flyer
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd save up for the 1911 and keep the 308. I say this having sold several firearms and kicking myself for it later. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:25:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I've already got a 1911, was just going to use some of the $$ from sale of M14 to purchase the rest of the stuff I need to get started in USPSA shooting.

That's if I sell the M14......

Bedtime for Flyer

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:31:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I like both guns myself, that would be a hard choice to make, but remenber shooting in competition can get costly also

GOOD LUCK,

copdills
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:07:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Keep the M14 and trade the wife.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:44:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I had that delema but I had an HBAR and decided to get a Colt M-4.  Then I pu a SOCOM on layaway and surprisingly my wife bought me a N M M-A for my birthday, so I have them all.  Now, I put an Aimpoint on my SOCOM nad last week my son and I took the SOCOM and the M4 out.  Wow, the SOCOM is a real winner.  It pumps big bullets down range and I was making head shots at 200 meters.  However with the National Match M 1 A I scoped it with a Sightron held by a Smith Mount.  This weapon fired a sandbagged 1 inch group at 200 meters.  So I say keep the M1A, scope it so you are really able to pick zombies off at 400 meters, closer as needed.  Get you wife up to snuff on the AR and put what you need on layaway.  If you live near a military base many bases have opened the Sportsman's centers up for all and they allow 6 month layaway.  But, the 308 will penetrate body armor ala the L A shootout.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:30:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Keep the M14 and trade the wife.

Good advice!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Holy hell I wouldn't trade a M1A for any AR15. M16s excluded.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If I sell the M14 some of the $$ is going toward belt, holster, mags & etc so I can get started shooting IPSC/USPSA with my son who is already into it. I'm feeling very left out at the matches so I going to start with my 1911, just need to get all the kit.

There will only be enough $$ left over for one rifle.

Flyer

If that's the case, I'd sell the M14. IPSC is a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What about just buying a 20" upper?

+1
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#22]
The main thing to keep in mind, in my opinion, is what would you want to have in your hands when the crap hits the fan?

It needs to be generic, a rifle that can handle almost any locally possible situation you throw at it. So, if you live, say, in the Texas Hill Country [like me], you're going to need some range, but also some CQB ability for the towns around here. Hence my choice is something in .308 [currently a FAL, soon to be upgraded to an M14 EBR/Mark 14]. It may be a bit heavy and bulky, but with the hills around here I would need some range for when the Soivets Mexicans Nazis Chinese Zombies attack. It may have a little recoil, but nothing I can't handle.

However, ladies tend to be of smaller frame and tend to dislike recoil more than men [yada yada yada yeah I know I'm a sexist bastard, tell me something new], and thus need something that fits their needs better. When the crap hits the fan, you shouldn't be armed, your whole family should be armed. That includes your wife and any kids old enough to know how to fire a rifle. And they need to be armed with the most effetive weapon they can still practically use. You never know when one of them will be seperated from you, they all need to be able to defend themselves.

In your case it sounds like your wife needs a light rifle/carbine of some type. Mine is the same way. You have a few options in this case: AR-15, VEPR in 5.56, M1 Carbine or [for a really high price range] the new XCR. You seem to already have this covered with your AR-15.

So now the problem becomes one of what to arm you with. Currently you'd be stuck with the M14, which you don't seem to be fond of. You could go with a full-size AR, this has a lot of advantages. For one thing you and your wife would be using the same ammo to kill the Zombies. You can also carry more ammo, fire more rapidly, mount more junk on the sides and generally mod the crap out of that rifle.

However, some things need to be considered first.

For one, do you need the range that the M14 provides? If the crap hit the fan tomorrow and you had to fort-up in your home, would the extra range of an M14 be a big advantage when picking off the walls of zombies rushing your home? Or will you probably not notice? What if you had to flee to another area, in your local enviroment [anything within a 50 mile circle of your home] would the added range be that useful very often?

What about stopping power? Do you have faith in 5.56, or do you want more 'ummph'?

If you don't see the need for the added range or stopping power, then an M14 isn't for you, and trading it in for an AR-15 or another rifle more in line with your needs would make sense.

And since you don't seem to like the M14, and seem to like the AR-15, it only makes more sense.

For me, I'll stick with .308, it fits my needs better.

Just a n00bs advice, your mileage may vary.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:12:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:15:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Personally I feel that the M1A is a very cost effective .308 battle rifle, which Is why I bought one. I would never sell it because I'm sure down the line I would miss it unless I had another .308 battle rifle to replace it. As we all know as gun owners our taste only grows with time. We'll always want more variety of guns to shoot/collect and calibers definately come into play. If you are really in love with the AR15 platform you could make sort of a compromise and sell your M1A then buy an AR10 or SR25 (which I would prefer).
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for all the insight.

Right now I'm leaning toward selling the M14, getting the IPSC stuff I need and finding a beater FAL to play with. Maybe I can find one built on an Imbel kit with an Imbel or DSA receiver or a Century FAL with an Imbel receiver.

If I don't get into IPSC while my kid is doing it, I'll always regret it. When he goes off to college one day he won't have time to shoot matches with his old man.

So I've got to give one of my shooting buddies a chance to buy the M14 from me and if he passes on it then I'll list it in the EE.

Be safe,

Flyer
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:13:46 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I've already got a 1911, was just going to use some of the $$ from sale of M14 to purchase the rest of the stuff I need to get started in USPSA shooting.

That's if I sell the M14......

Bedtime for Flyer

Selling an M14 should get you about 10-12 AR15s unless its a post sample.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:22:09 PM EDT
[#27]
ian187,

I wish it was true that I could sell it and buy a dozen black rifles of some sort.

It's a semi-auto M14 clone not a class III.

Asking price $1250 with lots of extras.

There will be an ad posted in the EE as soon as I find a site to host the photos.

Flyer
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:31:23 AM EDT
[#28]
I wouldn't be without a .308 myself. It's a very useful round. The M1A is an excellent rifle and I think you'll be sorry for selling it. That's just my opinion.

I have a rule that I've lived by for about 10 years now - I don't sell any guns. I have traded 1 or 2 in that time, but that way I can decide whether or not it makes sense for me. I know, that is what you are basically doing.

I don't know. All I do know is that I have a mental list of regrets over guns I've sold and then wished I hadn't.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:08:03 AM EDT
[#29]
every gun I've ever sold, regardless of whether i was attached to it, i want back.  i hope your not the same way...  i have a M1A, and i don't shoot it much, but i'll never get rid of it, cause i know i'll buy another one down the road.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top