Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2005 3:21:24 PM EDT
I want to get my 20" HBAR cut down to a Government Profile from ADCO. Do I just tell them that I want Government Profile and they know what to do or do I have to give them dimensions of the barrel? Also, the Government Profile just consists of making the barrel thinner under the handguards correct? There is no cutting involved past the handguards where the barrel is visible is there?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]
They will know. Govt. profile is a taper. Light and rigid. You will like the result.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#2]
So they will cut the barrel thinner in front of the handguards also?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

No.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want them to, and are willing to pay a few extra bucks they will.  I am curious though, why you would chose to post the question here rather then just call or email ADCO direct?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe ADCO would never say anything bad about themselves, but a pissed off customer would.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:09:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Not too many posts start with: "ADCO screwed up my...!!!"

Good People!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:18:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I am sure ADCO will handle it properly

They don't do the work however. He subs it to someone.

But you pay ADCO, and if there were ever a problem , it would be ADCO that fixed it

good to go
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:14:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Dont forget to do a cost comparrison between a new barrel and all the work you want adco to do. For me it was worth it to buy new.

I was lokoing at turning a 16 clean muzzle, into a light 16 (no m4 cut)  with A2 birdcage.  Cost difference could not justify a rework.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They will know. Govt. profile is a taper. Light and rigid. You will like the result.  

Had it done by ADCO.  It rocks and so do they.

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Is that what you wanted?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had it done by ADCO.  It rocks and so do they.

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Is that what you wanted?

Sorry, I meant that a govt profile would only require cutting behind the front sight block.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got an e-mail back from ADCO and they said that they will do government profiling but don't recommend it for 20"ers. Any idea why they wouldn't recommend it? I'm guessing because of the heat building up quicker?

EDIT:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

No.

Is that what you wanted?

I just want whatever the Government Profile is. From looking at the picture of the one on Bushmaster's website it is what I wanted. Just cut under the handguards only....that is if that is what a Government Profile really is.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#12]
they probably don't recommend it on a 20" barrel is because the longer the piece of material (ie. steel bar stock, aluminum bar stock, ar15 barrel, etc, etc) the more of a PIA it is.

Disclaimer: I'm not a machinist, I just stand by the machines while the chips fly
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy a new one and either sell the old one or use it for another build.  I've ordered a 20" 1:7 Gov't from these guys:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=278385
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top