Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 10:08:52 AM EDT

i've put flash hiders on before using the peel washers and the old lock washers, but i tried one fo the "crush" washers the other day...

what's the deal? with my washer and FH on hand-tight, the FH needs to go about 1/2 turn to be where it needs to be. if i start to crank down on it though, it kind of looks like i'm going to torque the barrel/upper/pin area. how much is too much?

should i grind the "crush" washer down a bit before hand?

it's an M4 profile barrel in a CMT upper with a Phantom. do i have to worry about damaging anything, or do i just crank tat bad-boy down?

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Why didn't you use a peel washer?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#2]
When I put my FH (Phantom also) on. I cranked it down using about 15lbs of torque. The washer "crushed" and the FH lined up perfectly.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the same thing and took it to the gunsmith and he said it wouldn't crush enough to index.
Brownells was backordered on peel washers.
So I crushed the shit out of mine to get it to index,
I've fired it since with no adverse effects.
YMMV
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

i normally do, but i can never get them "just right". i always peel off too little, take averyhitng back off, peel a bit more, and then find out i've taken off too much.

i figured i'd try a crush washer this time, but it looks/feels like it won't go. honestly, it doesn't feel like it will crush at all.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#5]
You can slightly "pre-crush" the crush washer in a vice if you need to.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

that wasn't the question
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You can slightly "pre-crush" the crush washer in a vice if you need to.

good thinking. damn, i guess that's my answer.

thanks.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
My armorer's manual says that the flash suppressor torque spec is 25-30 ft. lbs.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top