Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 12:24:07 PM EDT
Hey guys ,
Im looking to build an AR  , Ive always wanted one  ,so damn it im gonna build one with my hard earned money  he
There is so much to learn here its kinda overwhelming . What companys should I be looking at ?  Ive been on the del-ton site and like the flattop model as I'll be using a scope only . I want the rifle to be as light as possible , carbine /mid length ? I wont be needing a front sight  . Im really liking the  K.I.S.S  dubbed Ar 's   ,  Simple thats me       - This gun will be  a plinker/hunting rifle.

Money wise , Id like to keep it fairly cheep Im hoping to keep it under  $ 800 If thats even possible not knowing what the lower is gonna cost me .  Thanks for the help and sorry if I wasted your time . Ive got alot of homework to do .
NATE
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
hmm... I guess things like front sight and BUIS would be useless on a FAB10, since you're limited to the crappy FAB10 I'd go with a nice varmit upper, with good glass.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Try these links.

www.coldwellbanker.com/

www.uhaul.com/

www.monster.com/

Sorry I'm just in a smart ass mood today.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats funny because I emailed Uhaul about uppers yeaterday and they didnt know what I was talking about
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thats funny because I emailed Uhaul about uppers yeaterday and they didnt know what I was talking about

ok, he is implying that you need to move the fuck out of CA.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]
The del-ton carbine kit would be a good choice, also look at jt dist ,as well as model 1, and m&a parts.  The first two seem to be preferred here but all offer complete kits in what you are looking for.  Good luck, and I'm sorry you live in Calif
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea........... got it  , laws in cali sure get my blood boiling sometimes ,  But its got its benefits as well . Thanks for the tips .

Also what is the diff between the 223 chamber and a 5.56 nato , Is the 223 tighter ? Im liking the 16" varmit at model 1sales .  If Im going to shoot cheap ammo(wolf ect..) Should I get 223 or Nato ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#7]
  What gks said: Head east till you cross the border into NV or AZ. 700P
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]
AZ is welcome to progunners.  We're sick of being overrun by PRK liberals and illegal aliens! We need friendlies to flee here!

Escape the tyrrany. Get out of the PRK.  Move to the Uzi Triangle!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys, But when I asked for direction , I didnt mean to another state .h.gif

Besides the 5.56 and 223 chamber question , An A3 is a flattop  , right . And an A2 is going to have a handle  .  How long does the barrel have to be to get into a "mid length" gas system ? Does that makes sense ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want to plink with cheap surplus ammo or wolf, get the Nato chamber.   The wylde chamber can shooter either 223 or 556.  A3 is the flat top.  Most barrels under 20 inches ar carbine gas systems unless specified midlength in their description.  Midlength is the hot choice, but you wouldn't be doing a bad thing going with the carbine gas system.  I have a 24 inch bull upper from model 1 that I have been very pleased with.  Good luck, and I'm still sorry you live in California
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#11]

laws in cali sure get my blood boiling sometimes , But its got its benefits as well

Like what, shaking like a motherfucker and falling into the Pacific Ocean?  Take off and nuke the place from orbit -- it's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#12]

give the kid a break guys. he didn't ask where to move to, he asked what to get.

Nate, one of the great things about AR15's is that there are about a million options for every part. this is also what makes it hard to learn about. take your time, read around the boards, you'll find the info you are looking for.

i'm not going to get into too much detail here, but, as far as uppers go, A1 and A2 both have the sights/carry handle as 1 piece with the upper. the flat-tops (A3) do not. the detachable carry handles will clamp right on to an A3 upper and have the A2 sights (the A1 and A2 sights differ).

you MAY run into a problem with the front sight post being too short with the A3 upper and the detachable carry handle. this is an easy remedy as many manufacturers make the correct front sight post to compensate for this. only problem is you will most likely pay more for shipping than the actual part.

there are a million stock options, from A1/A2, to Vltors and Magpulls. there are a million barrel length, make, and types.

best advice i can give you is to look through the AR15 picture threads once you've decided what you are going to do with the gun. find one you like, and IM the owner. ask questions.

ETA: go for something with a 5.56mm chamber. remember, you can shoot 5.56 AND .223 in a 5.56mm gun. you [usually] can't shoot 5.56mm in a .223 chambered gun.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks guys, But when I asked for direction , I didnt mean to another state .

Besides the 5.56 and 223 chamber question , An A3 is a flattop  , right . And an A2 is going to have a handle  .  How long does the barrel have to be to get into a "mid length" gas system ? Does that makes sense ?

Never mind them, most can't think past their trigger finger.
The 5.56/.223 answers are in here; Ammo Oracle
The upper receiver differences are here; What is an A1, A2, A3 or A4?
"Mid-length" gas systems are generally on 16" barrels

And, neither the FAB or Vulcan have any AWB retrictions, so you can have tele-stocks, flash hiders, ect.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks guys ,
I was on all day yesterday til late last night going through threads . But I cant get into the archives .

Im looking into transfering my lower right now , That will give me time to learn more .
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:44:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, he is implying that you need to move the fuck out of CA.  

Just don't move here......
  j/k.......
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I can feel the LOVE
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top