Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 9:25:19 PM EDT
Foregive my stupidity, but I cant find any info anywhere on how to sight in with a rear NM rear sight, I bought a carry handle from a member here and just decided to put it on, while I was tearing the rest of my rifle apart, youll have to check out another thread for that one,lol. Anyway, I have found the steps for sighting in with a rear sight marked 6/3 at like 25 yards or something, but I cant find the steps involved with a rear sight marked 0,5,10,15, 20 etc. Thanks for the help

I posted this in the sight section but Im not getting any hits over there,thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#1]
SF,

Did the seller say what type of adjustments each knob has (i.e., 1/4 MOA windage, 1/2 MOA elevation, etc.)?  I don't think it matters whether the sight is NM or not...once you know how much each click moves the sight (at least in elevation), you can use your choice of a variety of zero methods, many of which you can find at The Maryland AR15 Shooters Site.  I have a feeling that the 0, 5, 10, etc., numbers are there, on your particluar sight, strictly to  count the number of clicks.  This is still useful, since most of the zero methods tell you to start with the elevation bottomed out (flush) and count clicks up to a certain elevation level.

Take care,

Mike  

P. S.  IM me if you get stumped...I can walk you through a zero method.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:40:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
SF,

Did the seller say what type of adjustments each knob has (i.e., 1/4 MOA windage, 1/2 MOA elevation, etc.)?  Once you know what each click is (at least in elevation), you can use your choice of a variety of zero methods, many of which you can find at The Maryland AR15 Shooters Site.  I have a feeling that the 0, 5, 10, etc., numbers are there, on your particluar sight, strictly to  count the number of clicks.  This is still useful, since most of the zero methods tell you to start with the elevation bottomed out (flush) and count clicks up to a certain elevation level.

Hope this helps!

Mike  

If he did I dont remember, it was over a year ago just now getting around to fooling with it anyway I can tell?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a detachable handle/NM rear sight on my 20" BM that I just went and looked at.  It has 1/4 MOA elevation adjustment, and I get 25 clicks for one complete revolution of the knob.  Pick a reference on yours to start at and see how many clicks you get for one complete turn of the elevation knob.  If you come up with 25 clicks, it's 1/4 MOA.  If you come up with less, I would assume that it's 1/2 MOA.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:57:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have a detachable NM rear sight on my 20" BM that I just went and looked at.  It has 1/4 MOA elevation adjustment, and I get 25 clicks for one complete revolution of the knob.  Pick a reference on yours to start at and see how many clicks you get for one complete turn of the elevation knob.  If you come up with 25 clicks, it's 1/4 MOA.  If you come up with less, I would assume that it's 1/2 MOA.

Mike

25 thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quarter minutes sights or not....

Come up 8 minutes at the rear with your front sight post base on the deck of the FSB. That will get you on paper at 200 yards. Make sure your sight is mechanically zeroed, then get a good no-wind zero when you hit the range on a day with no wind or a slight breeze.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Come up 8 minutes at the rear...

Huh?  To come up 8 minutes, you would still have to know how far to go (how many clicks with a given increment per click).  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I kinda meant when he figured out which one it was, then he could come up 8 minutes.

My fault for not clarifying properly.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I kinda meant when he figured out which one it was, then he could come up 8 minutes.

My fault for not clarifying properly.

Ahhhhh!  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come up 8 minutes at the rear...

Huh?  To come up 8 minutes, you would still have to know how far to go (how many clicks with a given increment per click).  

Yeah but I got a digital watch,
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:33:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Come up 8 minutes at the rear with your front sight post base on the deck of the FSB. That will get you on paper at 200 yards. Make sure your sight is mechanically zeroed, then get a good no-wind zero when you hit the range on a day with no wind or a slight breeze.

Ok now anothern problem, how can I tell if I got the right front sight post, this sight is on a carry handle, er, was, I cut the handle part off  Isnt some front sight post shorter than others, can you measure the length of one to tell if you got the taller one, this whole upper is driving me nuts
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok another question, if I wanted to make this "NM"type sight and regular one with the 6/3 what all would I have to change out on the sight to make it right?Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok now anothern problem, how can I tell if I got the right front sight post, this sight is on a carry handle, er, was, I cut the handle part off  Isnt some front sight post shorter than others, can you measure the length of one to tell if you got the taller one, this whole upper is driving me nuts

What brand is your upper reciever? Suprised nobody asked this before...

Don't quite comprehend your second question.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What brand is your upper reciever? Suprised nobody asked this before...

Don't quite comprehend your second question.

Well the barrel is a wilson from JT, the upper is a flat top marietta I guess,(see here-www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=251782 ) bought from another forum member and the carry handle no known origin,  is also from another forum member, so I guess my upper is a Heinz 57 The entire rifle is from forum members here, everypart

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:47:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Isnt some front sight post shorter than others, can you measure the length of one to tell if you got the taller one, this whole upper is driving me nuts

Ok another question, if I wanted to make this "NM"type sight and regular one with the 6/3 what all would I have to change out on the sight to make it right?Thanks

Alright Southernfried...you've got me measuring stuff again  

Answer to question number 1:  Measured from the top of the barrel radius to the "step" between the sight ears (the ledge where the front sight post is located) on the forward side of the sight post, I read ~1.930" using a 6" dial caliper (roughly 2 inches) on my 20" BM.  Here's a picture!:

Answer to question number 2:  If you're mechanically inclined and want to use what you have left of your carry handle (after cutting it up ), I would buy a rear sight elevation index like the one on this webpage from Bushmaster for $6.95 (specify that you require one for a  removable carry handle) , and install it using section 3-11 of the TM9-1005-319-23 technical manual.  If you're not a real do-it-yourselfer, I would talk to Bushmaster, send them your handle, and have them install it for you (they install just about anything you buy from them for free...awesome company in my opinion.  I've got two of 'em .  Gettin' close to 1000 rounds through the one shown above).

Take care,

Mike  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL Mike Im so sorry, when I said front sight post, I meant the little sight post thats between the ears on the front sight, you know the little nubbin you see thru your peep hole, Im am reall sorry I didnt explain myself better, but the info you gave me on rebuilding the rear sight was great, especially the link for the manual. I can really use that, I had an older book that I had been using. Thanks again and once again Im sorry for the confusion.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
LOL Mike Im so sorry, when I said front sight post, I meant the little sight post thats between the ears on the front sight, you know the little nubbin you see thru your peep hole, Im am reall sorry I didnt explain myself better, but the info you gave me on rebuilding the rear sight was great, especially the link for the manual. I can really use that, I had an older book that I had been using. Thanks again and once again Im sorry for the confusion.

HEHE!

My eyes skipped right over the word "post" and saw "base" instead.  Oh well....it's fun tweakin' pictures in paint anyhow  I use a NM front sight post and it's measured height above the base is almost exactly 0.300" (I have my 20" zeroed using the Santose improved battlesight method).  Here is a picture of my rear NM sight with a 0.036" aperture installed  (doubt you can see the post through that hole ) :

Take care,

Mike
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top