Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2005 7:32:32 PM EDT
I'm new at this and I was wondering if I could ask for a little help. I've surfed and searched, but I just want to be sure before I buy. I want to build an AR on a budget, but I am not familiar with any of the manufacturers and so on. My question is: What would I need to buy as far as an upper, stripped lower, ??? I need to know exactly what parts I'll need to purchase to put together a complete rifle before I can start to price everything out. Also, what manufacturers should I be looking for that make decent, inexpensive parts. Which companies do I stay away from? Can a decent rifle be put together for say $600? Any help would definately be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
A stag lower say is $85,parts kit$60,telestock$70 thats $215.You can get a complete upper from say eagle in CO for say a flat top with a new take off M4 Barrel complete from them for say $450..thats $675 plus a BUIS $80..$750 is not bad for a quality part rifle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a LOT of questions.

Stag stripped lower and lower parts kit from Eagle Firearms is around $150

IMHO, You should start with that until you decide on the many options that come next

A2 or A3 , 16" barrel, 20" barrel 24" etc. A2 stock, Collapsible stock, you get my drift.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Stag seems to be a lower that is mentioned alot. If I get a Stag, am I limited to a specific brand of upper assm. that is compatible?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A stag lower say is $85,parts kit$60,telestock$70 thats $215.You can get a complete upper from say eagle in CO for say a flat top with a new take off M4 Barrel complete from them for say $450..thats $675 plus a BUIS $80..$750 is not bad for a quality part rifle.

You can get a complete lower for around $240, plus you have to go through an FFL to get the lower anyway, plus the lower is a pain in the ass to assemble especially for a noobie, I say just buy a complete lower
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can get a complete lower for around $240, plus you have to go through an FFL to get the lower anyway, plus the lower is a pain in the ass to assemble especially for a noobie, I say just buy a complete lower

+1

I would get a complete Stag lower from Eagle firearms.  You can get one with a 6 position M4 stock for $215 and one with a standard A2 stock for $199.  Killer deal, and you don't have to worry about putting parts together.  And yes, any brand upper will fit on the Stag lower, they are all more or less interchangeable between brands.  Throw on a Stag M4 upper for ~$500 and  you have yourself an awesome rifle for an awesome price.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:09:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I took a look at Eagle's site and it looks like the complete Stag lower for around $200 is the way to go. Will anyones uppers fit the Stag lower, or shoud I stick with the Stag?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Will anyones uppers fit the Stag lower, or shoud I stick with the Stag?

Quoted:
And yes, any brand upper will fit on the Stag lower, they are all more or less interchangeable between brands.

Be sure to read the answers given, so as not to ask same question again.  

And in all honesty. your very best bet is to read the heck out of everything on this site, you will learn ALOT, I promise!

Charlie 31
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a Bushmaster lower, complete with A2 stock and all internals, from Eagle shortly after the AWB expired for $205ish. W/shipping and a FFL to receive it, it came to about $235-$240.

It appears they don't carry Bushmaster anymore.

I know nothing of Stag lowers, so I can't advise you there. If the price difference was say $20 or less, I'd get the Bushmaster, personally.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't heard anyone mention DPMS stuff. I'm guessing there is a reason for that...Should I stay away. Stag seems to be pretty popular and is definately priced right.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I haven't heard anyone mention DPMS stuff. I'm guessing there is a reason for that...Should I stay away. Stag seems to be pretty popular and is definately priced right.

They make good tools to work on an AR. I have their AR multi tool and upper receiver holding fixture and both are top notch. I have never had or used any of their guns or parts though.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top