Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 6:20:31 PM EDT
I was looking at the mid length picture thread, and it seems to me that the sights/optics used on these weapons are configured more for CQB situations by 2:1. By this I mean acogs or other optics rather than scopes.

So is the midlength  then an appropriate platform for which ever direction you wish, close range or scope range?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Midlengths are carbines (shorter, handier, lower velocity than a rifle), so naturally most people set them up for CQB type stuff. Just like you won't see as many CARs/M4s with scopes as you would with Eotechs and Aimpoints. However there is the whole Recon fad going on right now...

On the other hand, get both!

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:45:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Midlengths are carbines (shorter, handier, lower velocity than a rifle), so naturally most people set them up for CQB type stuff. Just like you won't see as many CARs/M4s with scopes as you would with Eotechs and Aimpoints. However there is the whole Recon fad going on right now...

That is the same observation that I made, although some are set up with only an iron sight.

The next question is if a more accurate barrel is used than the typical M4 profile then what is the concensus for the optic to compliment the better accuracy?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:03:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Optics are used for situation requirements.  Carbines don't have to be limited to just close combat.  A scope on a carbine is perfect if you need pin point accuracy and a lightweight more manuverable firearm.  Just take a look at the Remington 700P with 26 inch barrel vs the Remington 700 LTR with a 20 inch barrel.  Some applications require a more compact firearm, hence the reason for the modification to the Remington.

Since it's most likely for you to use your AR as a multi-role platform, such as close combat AND precision shooting, you should have both a long range scope and an optic for closer range, such as an aimpoint or eotech.

If you have more than one AR, you should make them specific to the role you want them used for, since your capabitilies are not as limited as the people who only have one.

The accuracy of a carbine is very decent comparing it to it's big brother with the 20 inch barrel.  I honstly have never seen a significant difference until you get past 500 meters.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Past 500m you want a 7.62 anyway...
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top