Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 3:06:48 PM EDT
First time poster, long-time lurker.  I own multiple AR-15's and recently purchased my first Colt, an LE6920.  It was NIB and perfect - at first inspection.  However, once I took it home and spent some time, I realized that there were two bare spots, each the size of a pencil eraser, on the barrel.  Apparently the parkerizing was missed for some reason.

I called Colt customer service.  No problem, they said to send it back for repair at no charge.  This is the only weapon, and I own a small arsenal, that I've sent back for factory repair.  I mailed the rifle with all contents, including the accesory pack.  Four weeks later, I received the rifle back.  The shipping container was in perfect condition.  However, the accessory pack had been flattened - yes, the magazines were as flat as a pancake.  The barrel was touched up with something black that rubbed off in my hands, revealing the bare spots.

I was unhappy, but remained calm and courteous with the customer service representative.  No problem she said, just send it back, which I did.  Four weeks later, I received the rifle that had more of the touch-up gunk on the barrel.  They replaced the magazines, but just re-enclosed the bent brushes, torn plastic bag, and bent up manual from the original accessory pack.  Yesterday I contacted customer service.  No problem she said, just send it back...

Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me, screw me three times...

Colt customer service is abhorrent if not just plain pathetic.  I will never buy a product, that will most likely have a problem anyway, from a lackluster company such as Colt.  I'd put it on gunbroker but I don't want to screw someone else over.

Friends don't let friends buy Colt!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]
This will end up bad.  Colt is untouchable here.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh oh! The sensors have gone off, run for high ground the tsunami of Colt Kool-Aid is coming!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#3]
EVERYONE!  HIT THE DECK!!!

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#4]
You're right; that is AFU.

EDIT:

Hey!   Why did you wait until you got all PO'd before you posted?  

Welcome!

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll chime in a bit...

Quoted:
Apparently the parkerizing was missed for some reason.

I called Colt customer service.  No problem, they said to send it back for repair at no charge.   The shipping container was in perfect condition.  However, the accessory pack had been flattened - yes, the magazines were as flat as a pancake.  The barrel was touched up with something black that rubbed off in my hands, revealing the bare spots.

never send back your accessory pack, the claim was for the 2 small bare spots on the bbl, not anything in the pack

I was unhappy, but remained calm and courteous with the customer service representative.  No problem she said, just send it back, which I did.  Four weeks later, I received the rifle that had more of the touch-up gunk on the barrel.  They replaced the magazines, but just re-enclosed the bent brushes, torn plastic bag, and bent up manual from the original accessory pack.  

see above, at least they didn't bend the brushes any more than you did
Screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me, screw me three times...

Colt customer service is abhorrent if not just plain pathetic.  I will never buy a product, that will most likely have a problem anyway, from a lackluster company such as Colt.  I'd put it on gunbroker but I don't want to screw someone else over.

I own 8 colt firearms, had to send a Colt Cobra twice to customer service, that was about 12 years ago and they made it right.  But I've also had problems with a Beretta Stampede, in that case Beretta sent me new parts no charge.

If I had the same Colt experience as you I'd be pissed too, but I haven't.

My 2 cents over
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Colt is untouchable here.

It depends WHO you ask.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm sorry to hear that, but to be honest, this is the first story of Colt gone wrong I've read... anywhere.  Even the best make mistakes I guess.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Bummer...

Did they request you send everything back for the repair??  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Unfortunately, they don't get alot of practice.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm sorry to hear that, but to be honest, this is the first story of Colt gone wrong I've read... anywhere.  Even the best make mistakes I guess.

Really?  That's strange.  I know someone with a purple colored lower that almost looks ridiculous in the sun.  That is the replacement for the first one he sent back with the same problem.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Colt is untouchable here.

It depends WHO you ask.

I'll check back, if this doesn't get locked, to see how many "Colt does no wrong comments there are".
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I was told the same story about a colt 1911.   The guy bought a $1200 match 1911 and he said looking down the slide you could see waves in the metal.   He sent it back several times just to get the gun back looking the same.  He finally got refunded after the 3rd time sending it in.  Im not so sure about colts quality anymore.have
Just my 2 cents

-Derek
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Welcome to AR15.com, enjoy your shitstorm.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I gotta see this trainwreck.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#16]
They just had a Bushmaster thread about poor service.

Looks like both made the same mistake...  ...you assumed you would get it fixed the way you wanted, not the way they wanted.  I didn't read anywhere that you asked for a new barrel or a re-parkirizing of the barrel.  Good communication is the best policy.  Ask them how they are going to fix it, get the customer service reps name, and put a letter in the return box with that persons name and what you agreed apon as a repair.  Then you have a complaint when it is not done to your satisfaction.

P.S. We have a service department at work and we rarely get any notes or description of the repair when units come in, and the customer always expects everything to come back perfect.  Sometimes we get notes like; broken, doesn't work, etc.  Communication is the key.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  That's strange.  I know someone with a purple colored lower that alomst looks ridiculous in the sun.  That is the replacement for the first one he sent back with the same problem.

Just about choked on my Kool-Aid!

I guarantee you’ll hear more; “ I had to send my (Fill in other AR Manufacturer here)__________ back because…….” Then you’ll here about Colt.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#18]
The mags and acc pack were smashed FLAT and the gun was undamaged? What was the box like when you got it back? I have seen marks on a lot of AR BBLs Colt included, where they clamp the BBL in a fixture from the look of it. Was there no parking or was the parking flattened? Do you have any pics? Sorta interested to see what is going on.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#19]
MOS_29S10
Post Number :: 1

??
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
MOS_29S10
Post Number :: 1

??

It wouldn't be the first time someone had an axe to grind.  It's funny how every time it is about Colt.  However,  as far as functional problems, I hear 10 times as much about bushmaster or others than I do about Colt.  If you really are having problems,  then I apologize, but a first post like that just seems like a troll account to me.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Even though I do believe this post is BS and the result of a troll. The reason you hear of much more Bushy problems is because Bushy makes and sells more rifles by far than all of the other companies combined. Sure there are going to be more issues.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn out of all the Colts I own,  I have never had to send one back

Give them a call, I am very sure they will make it right with you
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  That's strange.  I know someone with a purple colored lower that almost looks ridiculous in the sun.  That is the replacement for the first one he sent back with the same problem.

+1 one of my colleagues bought a Colt when I bought a Bushy.  I remember him having some FTE problems with it every three rounds or something like that.  They made it right after he sent it back, IIRC.

More on-topic.  I've never actually heard anything bad about Colt's customer service.  EVERY company occasoinally has a product that slips through QC.  ARMALITE's customer service however sucked ass a few years ago when I dealt with them.  Just one fuck-up after another.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:47:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Why do so many people come here to whine on their first post?

Friends don't let friends buy

At least try

How do you identify and avoid cliches?

When writing, question any comparison or image you are about to use. Cliches often sneak in the barn door (that's a cliche, by the way) when we try to be descriptive. Is the phrase you're about to use one that you've heard frequently in casual conversation, newscasts, and advertising? If so, it is probably a cliche or on its way there.

Instead of using stock phrases and images, be creative--but beware! Using the thesaurus has many dangers, such as misusing an synonym that doesn't quite fit the meaning you want. Also, inventing your own colorful descriptions can lead you as far astray as any worn-out phrase. Finally, avoid "padding" your work with cliches. This is an effective way to increase the length of a paper, but not to increase your grades. Most professors know cliches when they smell them.

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:59:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#27]
It may be abhorrent, but is it aberrant? Steve
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:06:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
send it back, write a letter, demand satisfaction. posting here won't solve anything.

+10

I will never buy any Colt products from what I heard here.

The only thing I purchased from colt was a 20rd mag, I wish I bought someone elses.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:11:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
First time poster, long-time lurker.  I own multiple AR-15's and recently purchased my first Colt, an LE6920.  It was NIB and perfect - at first inspection.  However, once I took it home and spent some time, I realized that there were two bare spots, each the size of a pencil eraser, on the barrel.  Apparently the parkerizing was missed for some reason.

I called Colt customer service.  No problem, they said to send it back for repair at no charge.  This is the only weapon, and I own a small arsenal, that I've sent back for factory repair.  I mailed the rifle with all contents, including the accesory pack.  Four weeks later, I received the rifle back.  The shipping container was in perfect condition.  However, the accessory pack had been flattened - yes, the magazines were as flat as a pancake.  The barrel was touched up with something black that rubbed off in my hands, revealing the bare spots.

I was unhappy, but remained calm and courteous with the customer service representative.  No problem she said, just send it back, which I did.  Four weeks later, I received the rifle that had more of the touch-up gunk on the barrel.  They replaced the magazines, but just re-enclosed the bent brushes, torn plastic bag, and bent up manual from the original accessory pack.  Yesterday I contacted customer service.  No problem she said, just send it back...

You know what amazes me, is ho Never mind.

Glad you decided to chime in, MOS.

welcome to arfcom. You will fit right in.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:20:55 AM EDT
[#30]
No personal experiance with Colt CS but the fatter the company the crappier the CS gets.

Still, doesnt colt offer a lifetime warranty on their products. I'm sure they sort their customers out 9/10 times
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:18:01 AM EDT
[#31]
My only personal experience with Colt customer service was great. They installed a sling swivel on a barrel for free and did it very fast I might add. This was for my 1975 SP-1 and if they'll do free work on it, then I don't see why they won't try to resolve an issue with a brand new firearm.

As far as you are concerned, if two small spots on the barrel affect you that much then why don't you ask them to just replace it with another.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:26:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:33:12 AM EDT
[#33]

It was NIB and perfect - at first inspection. However, once I took it home and spent some time, I realized that there were two bare spots, each the size of a pencil eraser, on the barrel. Apparently the parkerizing was missed for some reason.

why didn't you take it back to the gun shop where you bought it and let the dealer deal with Colt ??
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#34]

It was NIB and perfect - at first inspection. However, once I took it home and spent some time, I realized that there were two bare spots, each the size of a pencil eraser, on the barrel. Apparently the parkerizing was missed for some reason.

why didn't you take it back to the gun shop where you bought it and let the dealer deal with Colt ??
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:25:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Did you put a note in the box stating what you expected to be done, as far as I know people still cannot read minds and the communication between departments in most business is non existant.
If you tell them what you want, it will happen, not because it's Colt but because thats the way it works, you have to let them know, the package comes to the repair facility and the do what they are told, no note, no work

Quoted:

+10

I will never buy any Colt products from what I heard here.

The only thing I purchased from colt was a 20rd mag, I wish I bought someone elses.

And you sir, after reading your overly long BS post about your girlfriend have nothing to offer this community, your posts are a waste of time and bandwidth
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Oh oh! The sensors have gone off, run for high ground the tsunami of Colt Kool-Aid is coming!

INDEED, it is here and this time I have hired outside help:

I'd be very polite to this lady....very polite....you DON'T want her raising her voice!!!!

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Sorry to hear that.

...just another typical story of OEMs shitting on the little guy.

But IMHO, you were a bit to blame for some of your stress. You should have only sent the upper, or only the barrel, in for replacement if cosmetics were that important to you. Why would you settle for refinishing? And if refinishing was a satisfactory solution, shame on you for sending it back to Colt. Their customer service sucks, haven't you heard?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:38:03 AM EDT
[#39]
I apologize for my lateness in responding to the inquiries.  Here goes:

Why did I wait until I had a problem until I posted?

You're correct.  I should have posted sooner and with helpful or informative positive posts.  Sometimes it takes a problem to push out a lurker from the shadows.  I will pay the upgraded membership fee today and will have a post or two up soon there after.  Point taken.

Why don't you post a picture?

I will if/when it comes back from Colt and my membership is upgraded.

Why did I send everything back?

The lower and upper were different colors of black.  Colt did refinish the lower.  To be fair, I should have added that information.  In retrospect, it was a mistake to send the accessory pack with the rifle.  My bad.

How was the accessory pack damaged?

I sent the accessory pack with the rifle in a nice quality padded rifle case, which was the encased in cardboard.  I removed the warranty card from the accessory pack, completed the information, and placed the warranty card in the rifle case separately from the accessory pack.  Colt never questioned that they received the accessory pack in good condition.  Colt returned the rifle in its hard case, wrapped in cardboard and Styrofoam pellets.  I received the box in perfect condition.  The accessory pack was flattened.  Here's how I know the damage occurred at Colt.  The accessory pack had a warranty card inside it.  The rifle case also contained the warranty card I filled out.  Ergo, they enclosed a different accessory pack than the one I sent, probably a reject from another shipment.

Did I explain clearly in a letter what I was requesting?

Yes.  I spoke with the same customer service representative on both returns.  I clearly articulated that I was requesting that the barrel be refinished, not touched up.  This was also explained in the letter I enclosed with the shipment.  There were two copies of the letter in each shipment; one in the rifle case and the other in the packing slip envelope affixed to the outside of the shipping container.  Colt also wrote on the service order to refinish the barrel.

Am I a troll?

No, but I can certainly understand your suspicions given that this is my first post.  If I read one more a-hole post about, "I went to the range the other day and my AR-15 went full auto on me...", or, "I purchased an AR-15 over the weekend.  Only after I returned home did I realize that the selector switch rotated to the full auto position.   What should I do?"  I will start to post more often and on more positive topics.  I have a small arsenal and case after case after case of ammo.  I spent five years in the military, MOS 29S10, crypto.  I'm a stand up person.  There will be no BS troll posts from me.

Why didn't I return it to the gun shop?

I bought it from a local gun shop from an elderly man.  He is about as honest as the day is long, but doesn't do a lot of volume.  He also has done some favors for me.  I figured I would just send it back to Colt.  I truly believed that this would be an easy fix.   I never imagined that I would have these problems.  Colt never even flinched or said anything about whether or not I was being picky.  They agreed there was a problem from day one - no question.

Ok, hopefully my response is adequate.  I guess time will tell if I am a troll.  I take no disrespect from that comment.  The team members have to deal with a bunch of crap from newbies.  We'll laugh about this one day.  Off to pay the upgraded membership fee.  My BRD is out of control.  My next investment will be gun safe #2.  Yes, gun safe #1 is full size and bulging.  My daughter's deep closet is also packed with mag after mag after mag.

Thank you for providing a great forum for all of us!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:53:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:01:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Thank you. I appreciate the information.  Regardless of whether I can post pics, I paid the gold membership fee.  This site has been a wealth of information.  I am happy to support the site.  How long does it take for the upgraded membership to take effect?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:49:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
link?

I think my girlfriend is cheating

Oh brother...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, they don't get alot of practice.

As I've said in the past, all the Colts I've ever seen are boring.  They convert loaded ammo into spent cases.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Welcome to AR15.com, enjoy your shitstorm.

tag for the KoolAid drinkers shit fest to follow

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top