Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2005 8:10:11 PM EDT
I realize that a complete lower isnt that much but doesnt it make sense to run multiple uppers on the same lower?  I have a m4gery 14.5" right now on a mega lower.  If I wanted to do a precision upper would it be ok to slap it on the lower(I know a trigger job would help).  Seems in a bug out situation or just in general it is less gear to carry around and still have the best of both worlds.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
This is common practice... however be aware that spare uppers breed spare lowers!  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Currently I've got more lowers (stripped) than I have uppers

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

How come?  Just a question .  Seems like it should be the other way around.  Reason I ask the question is because Im limited on funds and would like to get some range out of mine.  Would a recce build be a viable option?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:30:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How come?  Just a question .  Seems like it should be the other way around.  Reason I ask the question is because Im limited on funds and would like to get some range out of mine.  Would a recce build be a viable option?

Right now I've got more uppers than lowers... I think it's just the nature of things
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I think alot of people have more lowers than uppers for the simple reason that stripped lowers are cheaper than uppers. I try to keep things even, one project at a time.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one more upper than lower, but I might sell the extra.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:34:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I could see uppers since they can serve different purposes were as a lower is pretty much the same(I know trigger, grip and buttstock can be changed and have different feels) but for the most part one well built lower could suit several special purpose uppers
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, complete uppers run about $400-$450.

Lowers can be around $200-$250.

That said, I built up the last lower I had sitting around and am thinking about getting another for shits and giggles. In IL, you can never have too many lowers, you never know when the *ssholes in Springfield might want to ban them

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#9]
there's no way I can use multiple uppres on a single lower, because I just can't stand having uppers(or lowers) lying around on their own!  So eventually I would be buying a lower for each upper I have.

Besides, it gets old having to swap uppers around if you do it enough times.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I hate to be the bearer of stuipid questions.....but how long does it take to change uppers?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Push out two pins, take the upper off, push in two pins on the other upper.

20 seconds, even if you rode the short bus to school as a kid.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
This is common practice... however be aware that spare uppers breed spare lowers!

Ain't that the truth!!!

And vice versa!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

WIZZO

I can do it in 10 and I rode in the short bus
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:17:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Push out two pins, take the upper off, push in two pins on the other upper.

WIZZO

Good to know.  Thanks.

*Looks very suspiciously at short bus kids from now on.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+2

What a concept, I started out with one upper from a pawn shop.  Now I have 2 complete rifles and I am seriously lusting over a Beowulf upper from Cabelas.  You know what will happen if(when) I buy it right?  It'll start out maybe with a Stag, Grissly, or other inexpensive lower.  Then I'll just have to have an Alexander Arms lower 'marked' correctly for 50 Beowulf.   Then what would happen with the previous lower you reckon?  Another upper I would imagine...no question actually.  A friend of mine claims to have a government barrel that he was given while in the military.  He says as soon as he finds it he is gonna let me have it.  If the bore isn't eroded I'll buy a nice upper to fix it too...the story continues.  This started out as an innocent hobby.  But i seems to accelerate more as I go.  I myself can't even explain it.  I have even thought about selling my AK and SKS.  Hopefully I haven't contracted the imfamous BRD but I won't know until I consult a certified professional.

Thanks,
Wes
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Heh, got you beat.  I have more complete lowers than uppers!

No $$$ to complete the builds... working on a 9mm rig.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I do but I'm getting a new lower soon
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#18]
2 uppers to one lower...

but I fixed that...

3 stripped lowers on the way to my FFL as we speak

but damn.. now I have more lowers than uppers.... guess I better start shoppin
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a RR Lower and two uppers.

The next Upper is most likely going to be an integrally suppressed 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:49:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

For sure!
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:10:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I didn't ride a bus to school.  Had to walk.  

I only have matched sets.  An upper for every lower.    

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:21:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WIZZO

But were you a window licker?

For me I get a spare upper then I end up getting a lower a few months down the road to match. I tried the swap out thing, but when you look at the cost of a lower  you will build one just so you have a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:23:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

that is were im at now. everytime i see a deal i just buy it and throw it in with the rest of them till i have funds to build it up into a rifle. keep telling myself that though
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:28:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Damn these threads, now I need a couple of lowers,  1 with a match trigger and that new Magpul stock, one to put my LMT single stage in and install my old CAR stock.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I used to have more uppers than lowers.  Now I have more lowers(extras are stripped) than uppers, and I haven't gotten rid of any uppers.  Its cyclical.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Ain't that the truth!!!

And vice versa!

It's all axiomatic.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:47:35 AM EDT
[#27]
I was going to get an M4gery upper for my Colt Gov't. Carbine, but I said to heck with it and bought a new Stag complete lower. I want to get a few lowers to have the option of putting together whatever I want, plus you never know what new stupid legislation will come along.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WIZZO

But were you a window licker?

naw, but I did pick my boogers and wipe it under the seats
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I have total of 6 uppers and 2 lowers. Unfortunately, living in PRK does not give me the option to purchase additional lowers to match the uppers, otherwiese I'd do it. Although I sure can purchase some "look alike" lower like FAB-10 or Vulcan California legal lower, opt not to do so because it defeats all purpose of having an AR.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As others have mentioned - it's just cheaper to pick up another stripped lower and have it lying around.  When I was at CMMG a while ago, I was only really planning to buy two lowers, but decided to buy three while I was there (you know - get the hassle of the yellow form out of the way all at once).

I built up two of the lowers (currently have four complete ARs) but still have one of them in its stripped configuration.  Part of the reason it is still "alone" is that I cannot decide what to build on it.

Some days I think an "old school" 20" government profile is what I want
Other days I think I'll go with a CMMG 14.7" A2 upper
Sometimes I think I'll fill out a Form 1 on it, and go with a 7.5" SBR, just for laughs.

So while I continue to be indecisive, the stripped lower continues to sit around my house doing nothing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I did it from 1994 to 2004, but since then not as much.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#32]
this is subosed to be a quote but i did somthing wrong

Sometimes I think I'll fill out a Form 1 on it, and go with a 7.5" SBR, just for laughs.

just buy 2 more lowers
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Many here have tried.

Very few have been successful.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Well for me its that I want something specific, but dont want to spend the money on a whole rifle, so I build or buy an upper.  After a couple months of looking at the thing leaning in the corner I think I should just sell it if I'm not going to use it.    Then I panic with the realization of what I just said and buy and put together a lower so I can just grab it and go shoot.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:32:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

just buy 2 more lowers

No kidding - that's probably what will end up happening!!  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Sure it's OK to have extra uppers, a lot of guys do it.

I used to buy whole complete rifles before for a long time but not anymore.

Since BRD got me good this year the first one I got was a 20" govt A2 upper then got my lower.

After that I got another upper, a carbine this time and got two lowers.

Now I have an extra lower waiting for just a middy barrel to get it done. There's no end to it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I did it from 1994 to 2004, but since then not as much.

Me, too.  Now, I run Keuhl two M4 uppers for practice and have a real M4gery or RECCE upper to go with the lowers.  Not much sense in having a dedicated .22LR with lower.  I also have a DCM/CMP upper with Colt CS stock to go with an M4gery but hardly shoot it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
When people talk about ARs they say how you can have the one lower and swap around uppers on it- I have NEVER seen anyone do it. NEVER.

I just stated that I do it.  Is my word sufficient?  Or do you need to come to Indiana and visit to SEE it?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Same here ('cept mine aren't stripped), I think thats about to change though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#42]
I have to swip swap.

10 lowers and 14 uppers.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#43]
You are all probably right. Man this really is a sickness isnt it.  I am an impulse buyer the way it is and having an AR is throwing more fuel on the fire.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top