Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 2:35:23 AM EDT
I was wondering how much loaded magazines and spare ammunition an average soldier carries in war.  For example, our guys in Iraq; how much do they carry at a time and would they have extra ammo on them in case they use up all their mags?  

Also, how do they carry their mags?  Are the three mag puches that go on the alice packs still used/  or is there something more conventional nowadays?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:41:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I would like to know also.............
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:42:17 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC they are issued 7 mags.  And all they carry is those 7 loaded mags (210 rounds) - unless they have some of their own.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:51:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I am a civilian but alot of my friends are marines in 3/5.They have told me they carry 12-15 mags.They are only issued a few but alot of stuff seems to get "aqquired".The 203 gunner in my friends squad carried 30 or so 40mm rounds.

Jack
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 4:14:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Standard issue is 7 mags per soldier.  Now alot of that depends on the Units SOPs  and mission.  Support troops on logistic bases won't be carrying that much and would problely never leave base.  Then theres the troops out in convoys and patrolling mounted and dismounted.  They scronge around for every single mag that they can get and carry.  In trucks there's ammo cans preloaded with loaded mags and frags.  There is no such thing in a fire fight as have too much ammo (unless your swimming it)  You may cuss it out if you have to hump it but soon as the range becomes two way, never enough.

CD
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:14:52 AM EDT
[#5]
As for how we carry it, it depends on the unit. Some units have the Vietnam style three-mag pouches, some units have the 1990's vintage load bearing vest with pouches for six magazines, and a lot of your Regular Army divisions had the MOLLE revolution.

For me, last tour, dealing with ammo carry only, otherwise someone will move it to the gear forum:

MOLLE load bearing vest, reversed to a RACK-style. Four double mag pouches. MOLLE six-mag bandoleer in my assault pack, also full. One more mag in a Tac Tailor stock pouch.

Never used more than four or five worth the whole war. My platoon just seemed not to be where the shooting was at the time.

This time, I'm not walking so I rigged a little differently. SOTech Hellcat chest rig, six mags, with a Tac Tailor triple mag pouch added. One more mag in a TT stock pouch. Six more mags will be in the MOLLE bandoleer in my truck. First four M203 rounds in a TT pouch, second four in loops on the outside of a custom 2-quart canteen carrier from what's now BDS Tactical.

Since we practice aimed fire, and have nice things like Aimpoints and ACOGs to help us place our shots, ammo consumption goes down. Even my ten mags wouldn't last long if I treated my M4 like a 5.56mm garden hose.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#6]
WG31,

Be safe on your rotation.  Remember my location.

CD
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:37:46 AM EDT
[#7]
87 rounds!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#8]
For Marines the standard issue is 6 mags.  But last deployment we pushed it up to 10 mags.

Max
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:15:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
87 rounds!

Mark, you are so freakin hilarious with  the number 87 lmao.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#10]
CD, wilco. You too, and good hunting.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top