Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2005 6:07:53 PM EDT
It is my understanding that fluting a barrel on the AR15 will reduce the weight as well as offer improved cooling, but may reduce the strength of the barrel.  

Cosmetically they look pretty cool, but can anybody share stories pro/con about using fluted barrels?

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/Images/fluted.jpg

http://www.gunblast.com/images/AR15_HBARs/MVC-008F.jpg

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Fluted bbls while lightening the bbl and helping it cool faster also strengthen the bbl. They do not weaken it. IMO there are absolutely no cons to a fluted bbl other than the added cost.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Where is the best place to send my barrel to be fluted?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Fluted bbls while lightening the bbl and helping it cool faster also strengthen the bbl. They do not weaken it. IMO there are absolutely no cons to a fluted bbl other than the added cost.

Just to clarify, a fluted barrel will be more rigid than a barrel of the same mass, but will be less rigid than a barrel of the same diameter. If you have a barrel fluted it will not become more rigid.

I think it's worth it though I love my fluted barrel.

Fluted 16 inch HBAR-34.3 oz
16 inch m4 profile- 32.7 oz

For about the same weight you get a much more rigid barrel with better cooling.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

<<<<<<<<<<< Bundy fans unite!

NO MAAM!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Fluted barrels on ARs if TURBO GAY!

It totally emasculates the weapon in my Opinion.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:51:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Love My 20" Bushy fluted barrel on the Ol' Colt SPII. I see NO possible down-side to fluted barrels.

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Fluted barrels on ARs if TURBO GAY!

It totally emasculates the weapon in my Opinion.

if TURBO GAY! What does that mean?

Little too much 87 proof.

Edit to add:  I'm sure you love my if TURBO GAY upper on my Bushmaster CARBON M4 lower.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

he made it up, so he probably knows.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Not sure about how much weight it saves, but my 16" fluted barrel seems to heat up faster than my fathers 20" HBAR, both chrome lined. Basically the same amount of rounds over the same time period. He could carry his rifle by the barrel and I would get a serious burn. Now that might just be the heat beign drawn off faster but I am not sure.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A bit more ghey than supercharged ghey.

I'm getting my HBAR fluted by ADCO.  Good price and good work.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks. Um... I think.

I would have thought the fluting, much like the fins on a V-Twin, would help dissapate heat. Interesting.

<edited to add a smartassed comment>

Oh, and what makes the rifle "gay"??  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not sure about how much weight it saves, but my 16" fluted barrel seems to heat up faster than my fathers 20" HBAR, both chrome lined. Basically the same amount of rounds over the same time period. He could carry his rifle by the barrel and I would get a serious burn. Now that might just be the heat beign drawn off faster but I am not sure.

www.hunt101.com/img/329139.JPG

With less mass, the 16in fluted HBAR would be less of a heat sink than an 20in HBAR, but with a greater surface area it would radiate the heat quicker.

I know my fluted HBAR radiates a lot of heat, but it's a good thing.   Cools down much quicker than my old M4-style barrel.  I really notice when it's time to go home and fluted HBAR is pretty well cooled off.  The old-M4 barrel would have to be handled with a towel during the ride home.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks. Um... I think.

I would have thought the fluting, much like the fins on a V-Twin, would help dissapate heat. Interesting.

<edited to add a smartassed comment>

Oh, and what makes the rifle "gay"??  

The triggernut can and does make many a rifle gay.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Fluting can decrease accuracy if done after the tube has been rifled.  Fluting is an HBAR  means its still heavier than a govt profile.  Fluting is expensive.  Fluted barrels dont cool much faster.  The effect is so small its next to undetectable. Fluting weakens the barrel compared to the previous HBAR profile it had.

If you want to reduce the weight and improve cooling get a carbon fiber wrapped barrel.  It lighter and cools faster than fluted.
If you just want to remove weight turn it to govt profile.  Its cheaper and lighter than fluted.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#15]
fluted

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<<<<<<<<<<< Bundy fans unite!

NO MAAM!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top