Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 10:21:41 PM EDT
I always thought that a supressor speeds up a bullet, but I heard that it actually slows it down. What is the truth? Just curious. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Accesory suppressors (add ons) speed the bullet up.

Integral suppressors feature ports in the barrel that slow the bullet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
What is an integrall supressor?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#3]
A barrel that is heavily ported with a can wrapped around it. An MP5SD uses this setup and the 9mm leaves the barrel with the velocity of a .380.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. MIKE
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that a sound suppressor simply suppressed the report of the muzzle blast thus slightly increasing velocity by virtue of effectively increasing barrel length and a silencer actually slowed the bullet down via gas bleed-off ports in the barrel for the purpose of lowering the velocity to sub-sonic levels.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that a sound suppressor simply suppressed the report of the muzzle blast thus slightly increasing velocity by virtue of effectively increasing barrel length and a silencer actually slowed the bullet down via gas bleed-off ports in the barrel for the purpose of lowering the velocity to sub-sonic levels.

Integral suppressors feature ports in the barrel that slow hte bullet down.  I don't like them, but no one can argue that the MP5SD is the damn quiet.  I could shoot at you over the hood of a diesel truck and you would never know.

Add-on suppressors boost the velocity slightly.  It is called freebore boost, and I have exactly no idea how it works.  They also tend to increase accuracy (at least in many models) which is another myth that I've heard on the errornet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Integral suppressors feature ports in the barrel that slow hte bullet down.  I don't like them, but no one can argue that the MP5SD is the damn quiet.  I could shoot at you over the hood of a diesel truck and you would never know.

Add-on suppressors boost the velocity slightly.  It is called freebore boost, and I have exactly no idea how it works.  They also tend to increase accuracy (at least in many models) which is another myth that I've heard on the errornet.

Correct on both counts.  Freebore boost is nothing more than a slight acceleration of the bullet caused by the increased dwell time of gas pressure behind the bullet.  It's nothing near what having an equivalent length of BARREL would add, but it's usually good for a few fps.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They also tend to increase accuracy (at least in many models) which is another myth that I've heard on the errornet.

Here in Finland where we can purchase silencers/suppressors freely many people have experience with them so there is more knowledge and less rumor concerning them.
It is quite true that (when correctly installed) they may improve accuracy. This usually happens on rifles with slim barrels like AKs. The added mass dampens the vibrations of the barrel and has been seen to improve accuracy markedly but it's not guaranteed. Also the POI usually shifts quite a bit because of the same reason.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:33:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They also tend to increase accuracy (at least in many models) which is another myth that I've heard on the errornet.

Here in Finland where we can purchase silencers/suppressors freely many people have experience with them so there is more knowledge and less rumor concerning them.
It is quite true that (when correctly installed) they may improve accuracy. This usually happens on rifles with slim barrels like AKs. The added mass dampens the vibrations of the barrel and has been seen to improve accuracy markedly but it's not guaranteed. Also the POI usually shifts quite a bit because of the same reason.

If you can send me some silencers, I can send you some KrispyKremes.
Seriously, I can.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top