BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/27/2005 2:18:15 PM EDT
Just curious what kind of barrel I got.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I understand (and please correct me if I am wrong, folks, I'm speaking with little experience in the matter), all new Bushmaster barrels are chrome-lined.  Yours should be, if its not an old model.

BoBo

ETA: In the Bushmaster manual under the "Facts about your Bushmaster XM15 E3S Rifle..."  it says "The bore and chamber are chrome plated for long life and ease of maintenance."
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
All Bushmaster Barrels are chrome lined except for thier Stainless Steel Barrels.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess chromed lined is better than none chrome....right?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Due to improvements in the Chroming process the measure of accuracy degredation over the years has gone down so much as to be almost negligable.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#6]
send it to me and I'll take a look for ya
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1 sysop...

BKSinAZ, all Bushmaster barrels are 4150 steel, chrome lined and usually stamped "B MP 5.56 NATO 1/7" or "B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 H BAR"...

Looking at a clean bore, the chrome bore will look a bit "dull" or "frosty" as opposed to the plain barrel which should look bright and shiny... Remember that this is industrial hard chrome that we're talking about, so it won't shine like decorative chrome plating...

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 sysop...

BKSinAZ, all Bushmaster barrels are 4150 steel, chrome lined and usually stamped "B MP 5.56 NATO 1/7" or "B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 H BAR"...

Looking at a clean bore, the chrome bore will look a bit "dull" or "frosty" as opposed to the plain barrel which should look bright and shiny... Remember that this is industrial hard chrome that we're talking about, so it won't shine like decorative chrome plating...

Hard chrome on a totally even steel like the inside of a barrel will, after a couple hundred rounds, become polished to a mirror shine.  Many custom 1911s that are hard chromed are shiny becasue of the polishing of the substrate metal before plating.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Aside from there stainless barrels, there varmint serries barrels and DCM barrels are not chrome lined.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:25:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Aside from there stainless barrels, there varmint serries barrels and DCM barrels are not chrome lined.

AFAIK, Bushmaster's stainless steel barrels are not chrome-lined.

BKSinAZ, what configuration Bushmaster do yo have? Is it a Varmint rig?

HS1

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#11]
how can I tell if it is a varmit rig? When reading the side of the weapon, it says

MOD. XM15-E21
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
how can I tell if it is a varmit rig? When reading the side of the weapon, it says

MOD. XM15-E21

What is stamped into the top of your barrel near the muzzle end?

HS1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top