Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/27/2005 10:04:45 AM EDT
I'm in NROTC at Miami U, and a buddy got an Eagle Arms M15A2 with a mid size barrel. It got me thinking and Im really serious about getting a rifle thats as close to the service rifle as possible. Probably the Colt right, but I dont have that kind of money. I am looking at the Rock River Standard 20" A4, it has a price that i can afford. I want a rifle that will field strip and have the same components or close to it, so i can get ahead of the game for OCS. The only problem is the A4 comes with a National Match 2 Stage Trigger. Can I get a standard trigger put in, and what kind? any advice is welcome! thanks!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, trigger disassembly is not part of field stripping.

It would be the task of the unit level armorer (right term????) to do work like this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster 20" A3 pre ban for $800 (new) at impactguns.com
Add a KAC M5 rail system ($375) from impactguns.com and wallah! You have yourself a M16A4 clone.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#3]
there are many options to choose from if you want it just to learn how to break it down for cleaning.  If you want one that has almost all the features of a military style m16, you need to get one that has a 1/7 twist chrome lined, contoured/govt profile barrel, and m16 bolt carrier.  other than that, there's not much else you can do, everything else is as close as you can get before needing to pay the ATF for having an automatic rifle.

i personally have experience with RRA, and DPMS rifles.  Both are good, but the RRA is a lot more eye appealing because of the attention to detail.  I have sold all my DPMS rifles and replced them with RRA.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#4]
m16 bolt carrier? is that an assembly or part? is this illegal?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on the Bushmaster... It too is a nice rifle and you wont have to worry about swapping the trigger...
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
m16 bolt carrier? is that an assembly or part? is this illegal?

Ahh soo Grasshopper, time to use the search function.

But honestly, you don't need to know jack to "get ahead of the game" at OCS.  They will teach you all you need to know.  Just make sure you can run, hump, do lots of pullups, make it up the rope.

ETA:  The only things that you actually need to bone up on before you go are leadership skills/techniques and orders writing, everything else will come.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks guys, i used the search and found a 13 page argument of whether the bolt is illegal, it just went back and forth and back and forth. i also meant TBS, i want to start training myself with the M16 so i can do well on my rifle quals. i dont want to take any chances on not making it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#8]
M16 bolt carrier group is both legal and preferable to the Ar15 type.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#9]
TBS is the same.  You spend WEEKS at the range and will get plenty of quality instruction on the M16.  The key, is to pay attention to it and follow it.  Those that don't pay attention or think they know it all are typically the ones who go unq.

But, don't take me the wrong way, as I'm absolutely not trying to dissuade you from getting an AR.  In fact, by all Means do!  I've had a Bushmaster and it was great.  Check out some of the vendors in the Industry section, I think Bravo Company USA markets a line of AR uppers with 1/7 govt profile barrels.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Do the Marines practice on the range with iron sights? Seems like they use optics more in combat but train with the irons.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, annual Known Distance qualification is with iron sights.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#12]
It was my experience that those that had no previous experience with the M16 typically took better to the instruction given and as a direct result scored well and in many cases higher than others in rifle qualification.  It is easier to learn from scratch good habits during training than to un-learn poor (or less than ideal) habbits.

Dont stress out over it and truthfully I think you shoud save your money  (for now) and dont purchase just for the sake of familiarity with the weapon.

But by all means dive head first into Black Rifle Disease when you have more time and funds later
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Bushmaster 20" A3 pre ban for $800 (new) at impactguns.com
Add a KAC M5 rail system ($375) from impactguns.com and wallah! You have yourself a M16A4 clone.

thanks dangerdan, i didnt know the bushmaster was that cheap! its the same as the RRA A4. Does anyone have any thoughts, the Bush or the RRA? or is it a tossup? the only reason is i might take the bush because of the trigger. thanks alot to all you guys for helping a newb out. now i just have to find a place other  than my dorm to keep this baby....
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It was my experience that those that had no previous experience with the M16 typically took better to the instruction given and as a direct result scored well and in many cases higher than others in rifle qualification.  It is easier to learn from scratch good habits during training than to un-learn poor (or less than ideal) habbits.

Dont stress out over it and truthfully I think you shoud save your money  (for now) and dont purchase just for the sake of familiarity with the weapon.

But by all means dive head first into Black Rifle Disease when you have more time and funds later

Very well said, and very good advice.  S/F!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't have any experience with the RRA rifles, but from what I've read here, they seem to be at least comparable to the Bushmasters.  I'm not trying to plug Bravo Company, but you could always get a RRA or Bushie lower and a BCM govt profile 20" upper for a close A4gery.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top