Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 11:26:10 AM EDT
I just picked up my factory Colt SBR (and love it).

I want to put a single point sling attachment on it, but can't get the damn locknut on the collapsible stock to come off.

I've got the appropriate wrench but it won't budge.  

How do you get this damn thing off?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the locking ring staked?  They may have used loctite on it.  I remember my Colt Lightweight Sporter's A2 stock was very difficult to disengage, had to send it to a gunsmith, even then they chewed up the rear portion where a wrench would go on  They did take it off though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:36:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of the Colt stocks are staked on at the factory. You'll have to break it off or cut it off. And unless you feel good about that, you may want someone who has done it before to do it for you.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#3]
No need to cut or break anything. Simply undo the staking.

An alternative solution is to use the TD PR4 sling mount. Daniel Defense also has a similar solution. They do not require receiver extension disassembly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt doesn't use locktite.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#5]
You could use a small drill bit to remove some of the steaking, and then the locknut should come right off.  You won't have to drill very deep, just a little to shave some of the steaking off.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is the locking ring staked?  They may have used loctite on it.

COLT stakes theirs... RRA has been known to use loctite...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top