Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 10:04:41 AM EDT
I've never shot or owned an "AR15" type of rifle. I've wanted one for years but never had the need to aquire one. Well, I've set-aside $700.00 to use for this purchase.

I have several deer rifles, .22s, 12 & 20 ga., and pistols/revolvers. In addition to current firearm collection, I have a C&R (new, but no purchases yet) and have set-aside 2k for some new inventory.

Anyway, I want the AR for shooting, not collecting dust.

What caliber should I consider? .223, .308?

Should I buy new or used?

Which brand should I consider? DPMS, Armalite, etc.?

What kind of maintance will it require? I'm not looking at spending money buying machinery or spending big money for repairs just to enjoy range time. I'm not "afraid" of doing the work, I just don't have the resources (ie: metal shop stuff) to rework my weapons.

I figure if I could pick up a used AR .223 with a half-dozen mags, and a bag, for less than $700.00 I would be doing okay. But I don't know what to look for.

Okay, enough of the rambling questions... Thanks for the guidance in this area.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#1]
If I were you......

I would buy a complete lower and a complete upper and push the pins. You save some money like that, usually. No 11% excise tax, for instance. .223/5.56mm for the first one, for sure. I suggest reading every post in the AR15 discussions forum first, too. I know, its tedious, but you'll be glad for what you learn.

My favorite brands:

Colt
LMT
CMT
Stag
Bushmaster
Armalite
RRA

Any of those will do for a first AR quite nicely. They are actually probably more than you'd need, but its better to get more than less. I learned that the hard way. Get a chrome lined barrel and a flat top. If I were you I would start with irons and save for a quality scope. Once you know how to shoot irons, but the good scope first instead of after a cheap one breaks. A lot of guys do that in the wrong order.

Good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Scope?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Scope?

I'm compressing this. He asked about a rifle. Usually a scope is the next question, and I am trying to get two birds with one stone.

I started out on an A2 and it was good for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#4]
welcome aboard, fan.

C_J offers good (and experienced ) advice

I would add that if you spend a few days reading and perusing this site and studying various elements of the AR15, and you will learn more than a month of Sundays worth of 'other' references

In the end, you will likely spend your first $700 toward a Bushmaster, or Colt, and be glad you did.

.........the A3, flat top, carbine is the preferred configuration

enjoy
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got my first ar. Colt LE 6920 and love it. More than the $700 you wanted to spend. I would look for an M4 A3 Bushy used and call it good.  You can add later what you want to it. Only resaon I say bushy is the amount of them out there and the Cost factor.  RRA is another great choice but more than $700.  Also if you wanted to to get a nice used/new lower and upper and build you own that would or atleast could save some $$$.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the advise.

I've got it narrowed down to a new DPMS or a used A, B, or C. I find plenty of units listed in shotgun news, but I need to make it to a few more gun stores and check them out.

I am a little unclear on the ammo specs, I find articles on the similarities of the 5.56 x 45mm NATO and the .223 Remington, which also claim that either ammo can be used in the weapon, while other articles state to never fire the other ammo in the weapon and to stick with the one caliber. I figure that if the weapon states a specific caliber, than that is the size ammo to use, period. (right?)

While I like the idea of a .308, I already have an AK and SKS and a .308 s/a rifle, the caliber in an AR just doesn't appeal to me at this time.

Also, the newer caliber, the 6.8x43mm (6.8mm Remington SPC), seems a little too new to find ammo if there were a SHTF situation.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#8]
SOMEBODY GET ME A DOCTOR!!!  I feel the early stages of BRD coursing through my veins. I've been to every gun shop in town, played with nearly every AR I can find, and the symptoms are manifesting at an alarming rate. I'm gonna need to buy something soon!

Seriously, I think I've narrowed my choices down, the fall editin of the AIM flyer lists bushmasters for just under $800.00, and I've looked into buying complete upper/lower from a couple of suppliers mentioned (rock river, etc.), but the sites I've checked have the price of both units with shipping and ffl fees placing the rifle around $900.00. I have one more gun shop to check tomorrow and if their rifles aren't any lower price than the others, I'll have to suck it up, buy one directly from AIM and have it shipped to the ffl I buy most of my stuff from and pay him the $45.00 fee.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#9]
At least you are doing your research BEFORE you buy the rifle.  

You wouldn't believe how many people post:

"I just bought this [Insert Brand/Model here] AR, did I do good?"
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#10]
You can't go wrong with a Bushmaster. Here's mine.

Bushmaster m4gery 16" barrel purchased locally
MI railed handguards from BravoCompanyUSA
Eotech 512 (AA model) from SKD_Tactical
No-name vertical grip.

Simple, and does what I need it to.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey!!!

With all this free advise being handed out like X at a Rave, I would like to know why nobody ever mentioned the 2005 SEBR??!!!

M4 (Type) carbine
(W/SEBR Logo 1-300)
14.5 (M4 Type) Barrel, chrome lined with
(Izzy Suppressor/Compensator), bayo lug 1/7 twist.
Flat top upper with "T#" rail as per military configuration.
(Less A3 Handle)
6 position collapsible stock.

Price $745.00 + $16.50 S&H per = $761.50 and any other related fees.

While this is more than the $700.00 in the budget, I am SOOO willing to spend the money for this weapon, and the $45.00 FFL fee. I think the price of all the parts is greater than the completed unit.

So, if there are any left, please let me know!!  I have made my decision, and believe it, between the basic 20" Bushie or the 2005 SEBR, it was a hard choice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hey!!!

With all this free advise being handed out like X at a Rave, I would like to know why nobody ever mentioned the 2005 SEBR??!!!

www.ar15.com/images/news/sebrNewsClear.gif

M4 (Type) carbine
(W/SEBR Logo 1-300)
14.5 (M4 Type) Barrel, chrome lined with
(Izzy Suppressor/Compensator), bayo lug 1/7 twist.
Flat top upper with "T#" rail as per military configuration.
(Less A3 Handle)
6 position collapsible stock.

Price $745.00 + $16.50 S&H per = $761.50 and any other related fees.

While this is more than the $700.00 in the budget, I am SOOO willing to spend the money for this weapon, and the $45.00 FFL fee. I think the price of all the parts is greater than the completed unit.

So, if there are any left, please let me know!!  I have made my decision, and believe it, between the basic 20" Bushie or the 2005 SEBR, it was a hard choice.

You should jump on that like a 19y.o. she-raver jumps on .....(never mind )

great deal, ----------> Here's the skinny on availability, pricing, variations (yep different ones so be careful to get "your fav") and let me be the first to say...it cheaper to join AR15.com and buy the rig, than to buy the rig and throw in the extra $50
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Advise already taken - I joined AR15.com this afternoon, and called a local ffl about the transfer, and he will do it for $30.00!!  

So, for less than $800.00 I am getting a really decent AR, and even though I'll hafta wait until availability/shipping, it seems like a pretty good deal.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top