Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2005 9:44:21 AM EDT
Do I need a handguard removal tool to remove my stock handguards? I just want to replace my CAR handguards with M4-type handguards.

Thanks!!

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#1]
no.  You need strong fingers
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:59:25 AM EDT
[#2]
or a second person that help you
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, two people make it a much easier job. One person can do it, but it's a bit of a trick without the new handguard removal tool. If nothing else, doing it by yourself builds character!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually hold it back while the wife does the insertion thingy! Works like a charm. Hammer over
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:28:40 PM EDT
[#5]
So it can be done......any tips? Do I take the handguards out from the delta ring side or do I slide them down and pull out from the FSB side?

Any tips would be appreciated. I've tried taking them off once before but I didn't try too hard out of fear of breaking something.

Thanks!!

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always found taking the bottom handguard off first works best...  Just pull the ring down hard and pull the handguard away from the barrel.  If you can't do it on your own, your going to have to give the AR to a man...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#7]
stand up and place the butt of the rifle on the floor in front of you with the muzle pointing toward the ceiling. Push down on the ring with your thumbs and use your other fingers to wriggle the handguards off.
Easy.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#8]
what everyone else said and if you want to get the tool then dennysguns sells a good one
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#9]
This is my secret jedi master trick-  I have a large set of pliers that have the rubber coat on the handles.  I squeeze the delta ring inbetween the handles and push down until I can get the handguards off.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top