Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2005 3:35:35 PM EDT

big sorries in advance , in the event that this subject has been covered elsewhere;  if so i

missed it .            spent an enjoyable afternoon yesterday at the big PGCA show at the

monroeville , pa. expo mart ,   and loaded up on a bunch of black rifle goodies , including a

new pattern thermold 30 rnd mag.   i've not seen this version before with the "browning high-

power" style take down.....a big improvement in my opinion .     got this thing home and

slapped it into my nearest AR ,  and      yoy !!   it won't catch !!     retracting the bolt allowed

the mag to fully enter the well ,  but upon trying to close the bolt , it hung up between the feed

lips and the bolt carrier bottom recesses.       didn't feel like spending the gas $$ to return

this disaster to the dealer,  so i elected to attempt a cure.         BTW  the same symtoms

appeared in all my ARs.           finally got it to work,  but had to completely open the mag catch

recess ,  and remove about   .012"  worth of material off the upper surface of the recess .

this got it to end up in the right place....but then i found out that the follower wouldn't activate

the bolt stop !!!   double yoy !!!        played with it for two hours , and could only get it to work

by using a follower out of an orlite !!      the original follower is too short for the mag, and

won't reliably pick up the forward finger on the bolt stop .    can't fathom how these made it

out to the public .      anyone else have similar experiences with these mags ????    
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#1]
It might be a better topic for the magazine forum, but there is a reason why most of us say to stick with the USGI mags.

I hope you didn't pay too much for it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info - I have been wondering about the NEW Themolds.

I guess I'll stick to the master molder ones, and avoid the new ones.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#3]
New thermolds, huh.. got pics?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Most likely the new Pro Mag Thermold copies.  Have one for my Mini-14, it's a decent range mag but I wouldn't trust my life to it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you got Pro Mag copies, not actual Thermolds.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
i too was thinking it might be the "new" pro-mags
but even then didnt the old thermolds/orlites need to have the bolt cycled on them to break them in?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
What's "yoy"?  Is that Amish?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:31:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What's "yoy"?  Is that Amish?

Probably Yiddish.

I knew those things were junk when I saw them at a show. They just look sleazy.

Guess I'll stick w/my NC built originals, but damn; those copies are almost certainly going to drive up the price of the originals.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:36:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Very good post indeed!
Thanks for the Heads Up!

myit
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#10]

gonna try and get this P O S up and running with either a new green follower, or one of the

magpul jobs.    the frontal side projections will need to be slimmed down a bit to get it

functonal......but the fact that it will work with an orlite follower means there is hope.    i just

can't get over how any one can crank out something so F$#@%*+KED up  !!!    but then

there's no name on the dumb thing either .   point :  when it's too good to be true ; it usually is !!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#11]
How much did it cost?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Complete sentences, punctuation, and capitalization are your friend.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
   but then there's no name on the dumb thing either .   point :  when it's too good to be true ; it usually is !!

There are new USGI mags in the EE for $10-12.  Why would anyone who posts here buy anything else?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe I misunderstood, but are you saying that you modified your rifle so the magazine would fit?

I think perhaps shitcanning the magazine(s) and leaving the rifle as is would have been a wiser course of action.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#15]

that's a negatory on the rifle mod !!       i removed approx.   .012"   from the top surface

of the mag. catch recess.....this is open space on GI aluminum,  but closed in on orlites &

thermolds.    to do this i had to open  the recess up.     i've got a big pile of GI  20 and 30

round aluminum ,  but i like the thermold    ( paid $ 17   for it at the show )   i'd  like it even

more if it wasn't a kit  !!    the floor plate removal set up is an improvement over the old

u.s. /  canadian jobs ,  IMHO .     whoever designed the tooling for this new abomination

must have modified  THEIR  rifle to get it to work......and then figured everyone else would

follow suit !!     could this be a hilary/ boy chuck plot to make sure our black rifles never go

boom again ??????    
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top