Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/24/2005 9:02:26 AM EDT
I've heard all kinds of anecdotal evidence that this part or that accessory won't hold up to hard use, but I'd like to seem some hard evidence...

So, ever had anything break, shatter, or melt? Show us!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:31:47 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've heard all kinds of anecdotal evidence that this part or that accessory won't hold up to hard use, but I'd like to seem some hard evidence...

So, ever had anything break, shatter, or melt? Show us!

Firing pin retaining pins.  Gas rings.  Swapped-out some springs that seemes to be under-performing.  That's about it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Have had handguards melt off (my fault), and bolt lugs break off.  Oh yeah, also busted off the bolt release tab (my fault as well).  That's about it for 12K+ rounds.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:14:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I've busted a bolt release tab, that's about it.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Have had handguards melt off (my fault), and bolt lugs break off.  Oh yeah, also busted off the bolt release tab (my fault as well).  That's about it for 12K+ rounds.

Haha, i wanna hear some stories! How many rounds, and how quickly did you fire them off to melt the handguards?

Any indication to the bolt lug failure? Manufacturer?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#5]
snapped a bolt catch off when dry firing without the upper on.

thats the only thing i have really broken
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Well this one time, we were shooting down by the river.  My buddy told me, you should bump fire that thing underwater!!!  I think you all know how the rest of it went.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I do not think we will see any pics on this subject.
Just because most breakages will be self inflicted and people will be embarrassed to share. I have yet to break anything.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I've screwed up springs during assembly. Nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just because most breakages will be self inflicted and people will be embarrassed to share. I have yet to break anything.

I really didn't expect that many pics. Most of the stuff on the AR is well enough designed that this prolly isn't a problem, though it is constantly mentioned; "Your (brand of AR/favorite gizmo) won't stand up to field use"...

Though I was thinking something like a telestock may be vulnerable if dropped onto concrete. Chip part of the buttplate off maybe...though, as you say, they might not post pics out of embarrasment!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've screwed up springs during assembly. Nothing else.

I usually always manage to mangle the little selector and captive pin springs when putting on pistol grips and buttstocks...so I keep lots of spares! Same with the detent pins...my carpet is full of them!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:40:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Haha, i wanna hear some stories! How many rounds, and how quickly did you fire them off to melt the handguards?

Any indication to the bolt lug failure? Manufacturer?

They melted off after only 6 or 7 mags of rapid rapid fire, and as for the lugs, well, I guess it was just their time, 12K+ rounds on the M1S bolt.  Blew 1 lug, then 200 rounds later, I blew the second, and that was as far as I was shooting that bolt.  My opinion on the stocks is that they're pretty tough, I've done many slam extractions on rock, concrete, etc, and the stock is fine.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:50:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Broke the front pivot pin......dropped a complete lower on the ground with the pins out after disassembling for cleaning

whenever you clean your AR, make sure you put the pivot pins back in just in case
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Ejector retaining pin on my colts fist outing. Found it when cleaning.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:06:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Awhile back some guy posted pics of a collapsible stock buffer tube which broke over someone's head. Not sure if it was true or a joke, but it was broken.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:07:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Here’s a barrel nut I fucked up while doing a barrel install, I was using a GI Wrench. I think this barrel nut was extremely soft. I heard some Colt barrel nuts were also just as soft, so I blame the nut.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#18]
A couple of years ago I had a tire tread come loose on a motorhome I was driving. The closet I had my AR stored in was right above the wheel well and the tread slapped the bottom of the closet, breaking the floor out and my AR fell onto the wheel assembly. When I got pulled over I about had a heart attack when I got out to see the "flat". My rifle was visible on top of the wheel and when I pulled it out it was curved.......

Turned out the buffer tube was bent and the ERGO grip broke in half. CavArms was nice enought to replace the grip for me when they heard the story.

I had pics up of the rifle, but that was long time ago.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
GI wrench is a poor choice for barrel intalls

Yea….rub it in Tweak, rub it in.  

I own a DPMS wrench now.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Here’s a barrel nut I fucked up while doing a barrel install, I was using a GI Wrench. I think this barrel nut was extremely soft. I heard some Colt barrel nuts were also just as soft, so I blame the nut.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/AR520/FUBARbarrelnut.jpg

I'd blame the nut behind the wrench.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I've bent a couple of firing pin retaining pins.  I think they were soft.  

I bought a few RRA retaining pins and never had a problem since.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/AR520/FUBARbarrelnut.jpg

I'd blame the nut behind the wrench.  

Hey............................
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#24]
This one time, at band camp, we were bump-firing underwater...

Does anybody have those pics?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Went to the gunsmith I usually do business with today, and he asks me if I have any extra AR handguards.  I say "no, why?" and he proceeds to bring out an A2 Bushmaster, and the thing looks like it had been ran over, and guess what; it had.  Said one of his customers was off in the boonies when it fell out of his jeep.  He didn't see it and when he backed up to find it, he ran over it.  Only thing damaged was the finish and the handguards.  Tough rifle in my book.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I had an extractor break once. Sorry no picture.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I have had firign pin retaining pins bend prior to replacing a hammer that was catching on the firing pin.  

Beyond that, the only problem I had was tearing up a buffer tube when removing it, but it was a post ban 'collapsible' stock with the stock epoxied full out so not really a loss in the end.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:18:11 PM EDT
[#29]
So who else has seen an AR bolt actually break; including the bolt lugs?

I'm trying to decide if I should get a spare bolt to put in the Tango Down VG and move the other spare parts to the pistol grip storage compartment.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:02:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
So who else has seen an AR bolt actually break; including the bolt lugs?

I'm trying to decide if I should get a spare bolt to put in the Tango Down VG and move the other spare parts to the pistol grip storage compartment.

Never expereienced it, but I also have never been in a car carsh and I still use a seatbelt and car insurance....

Consider a spare bolt $35 of cheap insurance.  It also beats having to repalce an extractor or bad extractor spring in the field- no small parts to fiddle with and lose.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Went to the gunsmith I usually do business with today, and he asks me if I have any extra AR handguards.  I say "no, why?" and he proceeds to bring out an A2 Bushmaster, and the thing looks like it had been ran over, and guess what; it had.  Said one of his customers was off in the boonies when it fell out of his jeep.  He didn't see it and when he backed up to find it, he ran over it.  Only thing damaged was the finish and the handguards.  Tough rifle in my book.

On dirt thats common. In soft ground a tank can run over a rifle without damaging it. On concrete the story is different.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#32]

I heard some Colt barrel nuts were also just as soft, so I blame the nut.

They are.  I've got one where all of the teeth are stripped-off from trying to get the barrel off.  The uppers were from Colt M-16's that were lent to the Guatemalan army.  Apparently barrel nuts rusted in the humid environment.

I broke two Colt delta rings while trying to install Midwest Industries 2 piece handguards.  The handguards were just too tight before I got smart and filed them rather than breaking delta rings, which requires taking the barrel off to replace.

I've broken several AR-15-related tools.  I've crushed two upper receiver blocks (Peace River from Brownells and one from Bushmaster) trying to remove the above mentioned barrels.  BTW, anyone make one out of a strong material?  The only ones I've found are cheap plastic.  I broke a DPMS barrel wrench.  The piece that fits against the barrel nut fell off.  I bent a handguard tool trying to get above mentioned handguards on.  Like everyone else, I've broken several 1/16" punches.z
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:25:41 AM EDT
[#33]
I broke one of the trigger guard feet off my M16A2 at CAX. We were doing a platoon assault, and I tripped while I was running. Fell and the rifle hit a rock, trigger guard foot snapped right off.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:26:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Here's the saga of three Olympic rifles.  These are older, purchased around 1996-97.  I give Oly a lot of credit because their recent warranty service has been outstanding.  My experiences from a few years ago show that this is indeed an improvement.  

Trigger parts  I’ve swapped all three to Bushmaster parts.  Each of the three eventually went full-auto sporadically (and they’re semi-auto-only rifles).  Didn't try to diagnose the faulty part--just exchanged everything.  No problems since.

Hammer pin  One snapped in half.  Replaced it.

Buttstocks  All the collapsible stocks were replaced with RRA after 2 locking levers came loose and were no longer properly functional, and one buttstock wouldn’t adjust easily.

Cam pins  Excessive cam pin wear on all three rifles.  One cam pin broke in half at less than 2,500 rounds; the others had extreme wear and ridges at that point.  Fixed by Oly by replacing the barrels.

Bolt  One bolt cracked at the cam pin.  Replaced.

Misc.  Front sling swivel fell out because of use of a roll-pin instead of rivet.

Recoil buffer  Broke under 5,000 rounds.  The buffer plastic cracked and came loose inside the rifle.  Replaced the buffer.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:48:54 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I heard some Colt barrel nuts were also just as soft, so I blame the nut.

They are.  I've got one where all of the teeth are stripped-off from trying to get the barrel off.  The uppers were from Colt M-16's that were lent to the Guatemalan army.  Apparently barrel nuts rusted in the humid environment.

I broke two Colt delta rings while trying to install Midwest Industries 2 piece handguards.  The handguards were just too tight before I got smart and filed them rather than breaking delta rings, which requires taking the barrel off to replace.

I've broken several AR-15-related tools.  I've crushed two upper receiver blocks (Peace River from Brownells and one from Bushmaster) trying to remove the above mentioned barrels.  BTW, anyone make one out of a strong material?  The only ones I've found are cheap plastic.  I broke a DPMS barrel wrench.  The piece that fits against the barrel nut fell off.  I bent a handguard tool trying to get above mentioned handguards on.  Like everyone else, I've broken several 1/16" punches.z

I don't think the problem is the parts or the tools.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Been carrying the M16/M4 series for 22 years now.  Have only broken one set of handguards.  In summer of 1987 had just traded in our old XM16E1s for NIB M16A2s.  Next day did a night combat equipment parachute jump and rigged the rifle for exposed jumping (no M1950 weapons case).  Needlessly to say did a leftside Parachute Landing Fall (side rifle was on) and shattered the handguards.  Finished the exercise with a 12 mi road march to the zero/300m qualification range.  Took 4 months to get new handguards in.

CD
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I Have had a bolt break (model 1 ) just shy of the 2000 round mark
http://home.mchsi.com/~robertlee45/wsb/media/201702/site1028.jpg
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Only thing to break is my wallet  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:19:24 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been fortunate so far in that I have had NOTHING break on any of the four ARs that I use.  The only thing that might fall into the "broken" category might be the handguards that got a little deformed from heat (right by the front of the gas tube) on my SBR after a lot of rapid fire.

Of course, my ARs are mostly range use, and it's not like I'm running around in the field beating them up.

However - that said, I never broke anything on any of the weapons I was issued in the infantry either (garands, G-3s, SMG, LMG, sidearm, etc.) - despite sometimes really abusing them , so I seem to just have good luck.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
home.mchsi.com/~robertlee45/wsb/media/201702/site1028.jpg

Wow, never seen one go there before.  Only 2K rounds!?  Ouch.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Not even close. None of these wer self inflicted.

I have had 2 bolts break, Both with less than 500 rds down range(Both Model 1 and broke at the cam pin like the one above).
A few bolt catch bend after use.
Extractor spring broke after 100 rounds.

And thats what happens with such a big aftermarket, you are gonna get the good with the bad batches.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#42]
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b166/kc0iwx/DSC04454.jpg

I had just fixed my FTE problem with an O-ring, so when I went to the range and hat one happen, I thought "What NOW".  Then I looked closer, and went home.  I now have a BIG spare parts kit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Sounds like I need to add a spare bolt to the "on gun" parts kit.

Here's what folks have broken so far:

Cam Pin
Firing Pin Retaining Pin
Hammer Spring (broke)
Extractor
Ejector Retaining Pin
Gas Rings
Bolt Lugs (broken off)
Bolt Release Tab (busted it off on fall)
Selector & Captive Pin Springs (bent/mangled when installing pistol grip/buttstock)
Front Pivot Pin (lower fell to ground with pin out for disassembly & cleaning)
Firing Pin
Bolt Broke (cracked at cam pin area)
Disconnector
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#44]
A while back a reputable dealer here was installing a forearm on my Colt upper when he discovered a hairline crack on the receiver under the barrel nut.  I don't know how or what caused it.  I have had a carrier key come loose, but I don't think that exactly fits the theme here.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I broke one of the trigger guard feet off my M16A2 at CAX. We were doing a platoon assault, and I tripped while I was running. Fell and the rifle hit a rock, trigger guard foot snapped right off.

Was it an Aluminum or a Plastic trigger guard?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was it an Aluminum or a Plastic trigger guard?

Aluminum, the part that broke was on the lower receiver itself - where the rollpin holds the trigger guard in place.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
home.mchsi.com/~robertlee45/wsb/media/201702/site1028.jpg

I had a Model 1 Bolt  crack in that area. If I hadn't inspected it, I would have had the same failure.

Bomber
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#49]
I've never broken anything on my AK. Oh, sorry.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Sounds like you shouldn't use Model1Sales bolts.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top