Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/24/2005 4:00:25 AM EDT
Okay - I finally bought my first short rail to mount a forward flashlight on my shorty. So now I have 12" of coiled wire and a pressure button - how/where do you mount this button? Velro, rubberband, bubblegum???
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Couple ways it can be done. My first light was attached by velcro to the handguard, but I found that heat from the vents of the vehicle made the adhesive let loose. The way I am currently using is a piece of cut rubber from an old bike tire tube. I worked it over the handguards and slipped the switch under them. There is enough pressure to hold it tight, and the tube is thin enough that the pressure pad switch still feels the slightest touch to turn on. Bike tubes work well for lots of stuff. I use them on my handgun grip as well. Cheaper and flatter than the Hogue or Uncle Mike's grips.... And they last just as long!
   As to where to mount it, I don't know what kind of rail you have. Where you mount it is largely user preference. I like mine mounted between 9-11 o'clock on the left side. Right, left, bottom, top in front of the front sight, it's all different for different people. My preference was I didn't like it on the bottom of the handguard, as I use that to rest the rifle, grip the rifle, part of my sling mount is there, and a bipod if I use it. Nothing other than lights are mounted on my sides. Mount it in such a way that it does not illuminate the front sight housing, but when you turn it on it makes your front sight stand out clearly. This usually means mounting it more forward on the rail than towards the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. My mount is a short rail attached to the front sight assembly so I mounted the light on the right side. I like the bike tube idea - did you use a 10-speed type tube or more like the larger tubes on a kid's bike. The only other idea I thought of was to use double sided velcro and just wrap it around the front hand guards - no glue to melt.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's some switches for you
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you left an open spot inside the trigger guard!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top