Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2005 10:15:54 PM EDT
I was thinking of getting my barrel profiled from a 20" HBAR to a 20" Government Profile. Is it worth the money to lose a pound? I hear that the Government Profile barrel can't disperse the heat as quickly as the HBAR and that it loses some of it accuracy with extended fire. Does the heat really build up that quickly on a semi-auto AR or does the inaccuracy only occur when firing at the speed of full-auto? Is this amount of inaccuracy much?

Also, where is a good place to have my barrel profiled? I was thinking ADCO?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
depends, do you plan on humping a lot of territory w/ your HBAR? if so, the i would opt for the govt profile...

just so, some prefer the looks and weight of the HBAR and the govt respectively--its all on the person

the slimmer bbl of the govt should disperse heat FASTER b/c it has less metal retaining the heat; h/w, it would also heat up faster b/c it has less material to heat up...

HBARs take longer to heat up, but once heated up, they also take longer to cool down

all bbls will loose accuracy w/ extended firing--but it would take a lot of constant firing
firing the same # of rounds, i would say that the above would happen

as to semi auto ARs and heat build up, it depends on how much ammo you shoot, how fast you shoot, and how long you shoot....inaccuaracy will happen in either one eventually

but if you are shooting that fast, then i dont think that YOU will be that accurate anyways....

you could opt to have the bbl profiled, or you could just replace your bbl w/ a gov bbl and sell the HBAR
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
The rifle sure balances better with the A2 profile.  IMHO the weight savings is significant.  I will never own another 20" HBAR.

I just sold my old HBARs on the EE, and bought new A2 barrels.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#3]
YES, its worth it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#4]
You maybe interested in what I wanted to do?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=251212

To have my HBAR barrel under hand guard cut with 1/8" fins 1/4" apart.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:03:58 AM EDT
[#5]
They are worth it.  Unless your competition shooting there is no need for an HBAR.

JMHO

Max
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
YES, its worth it.

I agree.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:47:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
YES, its worth it.

+100%

Tom  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#8]
So is ADCO a good place to get profiling done at or are there better ones?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The rifle sure balances better with the A2 profile.  IMHO the weight savings is significant.  I will never own another 20" HBAR.

I just sold my old HBARs on the EE, and bought new A2 barrels.

+1
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Also, can ADCO just profile it under the handguards and leave the same look in front of the Front Sight Base where you can see the barrel? Would this still be heavy this way or is the significant amount of the weight under the handguards?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Actually a bull barrel will disperse heat faster since it has more surface area...  Heat can only escape at a certain rate through the surface of the barrel...smaller the barrel dia, the less the surface area.

B
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Too bad you aren't looking to buy a barrel, instead of having one recontoured.  There are a lot more gov't profile barrels on the market now.  Some company... oh.... "B" something, sells them...

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top