Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 8:45:09 AM EDT
OK I know I've seen this topic over and over again on this board but I cant seem to find any of them. In order to be a true pre-ban lower did it have to leave the factory as a complete rifle or did it have to be assembled as a complete rifle before the ban?

Thanks in advance!!

Riese
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Built before the AWB, which is open to a lot of different things.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, that depends. The federal assault weapon ban is over so it depends on your state's laws. In New York state for instance, every AR 15 functioning frame and copies there of is considered an assault weapon.  Therefore if the lower was made before the Sept 13 1994 it is a grandfathered assault weapon. No one in this area of the state even pays attention to the assault weapons ban anyhow. Police certainly aren't enforcing it as dealers sell postban weapons with preban features and new production high capacity magazines. I have personally seen a nongrandfathered assault weapon returned to its owner by the NYS DEC when they gave us a spot check while hunting. Personally I adbide by our AWB making sure I obey it to a T. You never know when a politican will make a stink of the nonenforcement.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#3]
It is better to adbide to the NY State AWB.  No agency in NY will give you any info on what is legally grandfathered. I agree though, I've seen local dealers selling preban stripped lowers and preban uppers on post ban lowers. It comes down to do you want to take a chance with the law.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It is better to adbide to the NY State AWB.  No agency in NY will give you any info on what is legally grandfathered. I agree though, I've seen local dealers selling preban stripped lowers and preban uppers on post ban lowers. It comes down to do you want to take a chance with the law.

The bottom line is that the lower must have been assembled into a rifle BEFORE the ban. YOU didn't have to be the owner at the time, but you have to be able to PROVE with documentation that it was built pre-ban. Or, you can step into the grey area and get a preban OLY lower. They had a huge fire that destroyed ALL DOCUMENTATION relating to if a lower was built by the factory into a rifle before it left therefore it can't be proven NOT to be legal. This is probably NOT the best way to go though.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bottom line is that the lower must have been assembled into a rifle BEFORE the ban. YOU didn't have to be the owner at the time, but you have to be able to PROVE with documentation that it was built pre-ban. Or, you can step into the grey area and get a preban OLY lower. They had a huge fire that destroyed ALL DOCUMENTATION relating to if a lower was built by the factory into a rifle before it left therefore it can't be proven NOT to be legal. This is probably NOT the best way to go though.

Sorry, but you are as wrong as wrong can be!

Question on buying a Pre-ban lower. (I live in NY state)

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top