Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2005 6:37:35 AM EDT
This past x'mas the little lady stuffed a Bushy A2 carbine in my stocking.  Now if that isn't a tough act to follow....I've spent all this time trying to come up with something for her x'mas this year that would even come close.

Anyway, she shoots it as much as I do and loves the gun.  But...I wish she would have asked first, because I would have suggested the A3 or A4 config to mount optics on.  I have a handle mount that I can put a scope/red dot on, but that puts it pretty high up.  I've looked at the goose neck mounts (Benny Cooley/ARMS/etc).  

So my question is....should I look into buying a new upper (flat top) for it for when she wants the optics on it....should I buy an upper and swap out the A2 for a flat top upper.....or just leave it alone and mount a goose neck or carry handle mount?

I'll admit, I've never put an upper together from parts or swapped barrels or anything like that, nor do I have the tools to do it.  So if I went that way, it would be a first, or a trip to the gunsmith.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Or, you could go to your hometown forum and ask if anyone would be willing to help you swap out the upper receiver.  Someone there might have all the tools and like helping fellow AR15.commers out.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:08:29 AM EDT
[#2]
OR....

You could GET BOTH!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Just get another complete upper in the configuration your looking for. Occasionally everyone wants to go back to iron sites. This way, when you do, your covered!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey, appreciate the replies and suggestions.  

I've been leaning towards picking up another complete upper, maybe something in a varmint set-up with a 20" barrel for scoped shooting.  But, like alot of others, trying to watch the pennies, too.

So for now, maybe an upper receiver swap might be a little cheaper way to get there.  Any suggestions on an upper receiver that would go into the Bushy with no major fit issues?

Slo
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#5]
A flattop upper is roughly $100, the receiver blocks and wrench are another $50-60, but IMHO, its worth doing.  

This is assuming that you haven't gone to your OR section and asked if anyone was near you who would help you out who already has the tools....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#6]
CMT makes a high quality flattop upper for about $100.

I highly recommend it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy another complete AR set up the way you want.  

That way you and your wife can shoot together.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I'd buy a CMT flat-top upper and ask someone to help you swap the barrel.  Keep the old receiver, as I'm sure you'll find a use for it eventually.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top