Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2005 2:14:17 PM EDT
I just got my 1st bushmaster not to long ago, and was wanting to know is it better to have a chrome or polished blot then the stock black one???
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard chrome is a better finish in many ways than phosphate coatings.  However hard chrome if not propperly heat treated can cause hydrogen embrittlement.  I have no reason to get a hard chromed bolt as there are better choices for coatings and platings.  Id select the phosphate for cost purposes.  You dont risk a bolt that will break at the cam pin hole and its the milspec finish.  In other words sometimes yes but usually no is the answer to your question.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just got my 1st bushmaster not to long ago, and was wanting to know is it better to have a chrome or polished blot then the stock black one???

Given that there is no corrosive primed .223 Rem or 5.56x45 ammo floating around, I don't really see a huge advantage to a chromed bolt over the standard one.  Just keep your rifle clean and well oiled, and I bet you wouldn't see a significant enough difference in longevity for chromed to justify the cost difference.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a chrome carrier if anything usually bout 50 bucks more...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to have a COLT chrome bolt... It was nice for easy cleaning... After shooting, to remove all the carbon build up, I would just buff it using my wire wheel on the Ole bench grinder... It would shine like new after a good cleaning... And then one day while buffing it, the thing slipped out of my hand and the force of the wire wheel tossed the thing across the room like a bullet... The bolt met a piece of iron on impact and cracked in two
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Well that sucks!!! RIP crome bolt...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top