Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2005 3:47:02 PM EDT
I got a Olympic Arms LPK because it was all the gun store had at the moment, and my magazine release button is loose as all heck, and occasionally gets out of place, and results in me removing the coating on my lower receiver.

Is this common? Is there a solution? Should i just buy a new magazine release/retention kit?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Gordon, how far did you screw it in?

If you haven't done it before, you may want to take a look at this write up (pics and info), and see if it helps.

AR15 magazine catch installation guide
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, i screwed it until it was flush, but it still turns a little bit, like 10 degrees or so.

THIS CONFIRMS THAT OLYMPIC ARMS IS TRASH!

This LPK was ALSO missing the trigger guard, pistol grip screw + locking nut

TRASH!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Gordon, I've used and seen numerous OA LPKs, and while some are ugly, this is the first I've heard of having a out of spec mag catch.  I've also had issues with DPMS and RRA LPKs, so it isn't just one company.

What type of lower receiver are you using?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Gordon, I've used and seen numerous OA LPKs, and while some are ugly, this is the first I've heard of having a out of spec mag catch.  I've also had issues with DPMS and RRA LPKs, so it isn't just one company.

What type of lower receiver are you using?

gordon_freeman, Im curious too, what brand lower are you dealing with?

Stickman, does OLY still use the plastic buttons?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#5]
The Olympic arms mag catch is aluminum, hence the scraping away of the coating. I'm using a Bushmaster lower receiver... and i'm begining to suspect that's why the mag catch isn't perfectly fitting.

I'm probably gonna go buy Bushmaster magazine release/retention parts.

And talk crap about olympic arms for a lonnnnng time to come.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't believe so, but I'm not 100% certain.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you post a picture?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Olympic arms mag catch is aluminum, hence the scraping away of the coating. I'm using a Bushmaster lower receiver... and i'm begining to suspect that's why the mag catch isn't perfectly fitting.

I'm probably gonna go buy Bushmaster magazine release/retention parts.

Hmmm, Do you have another AR you can take the button off of to see how it fits the Bushmaster receiver? That would determine where the problem lies...

The reason I had asked about the button being plastic is because I had a couple OLY rifles from the early 90's that had plastic trigger guards and mag release buttons...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If they didn't rape your wife and shoot your dog, you're probably blowing this all out of proportion.

Your opinion is one thing, but bitching and trolling Olympic threads will get you benned in no time if you go that route.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Over a magazine release button....?  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#12]
gordon, out of the 2 l.p.k.'s i've installed, both bushmaster, 1 was ill fitting in there lower, the other was fine. one of my brothers lives in olympia and has nothing but good to say about olympia arms despite all the crap i've relayed to him from this site? he was stationed at ft. lewis and was used to using colt and f.n.? plus if you have any prob. skip will take care of you, he even lightend my bros. trigger for free! just somthing to ponder
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Gordon,   Stop and take a breathe...ok..Now push the mag release button in with something small so it goes as far as possible into the receiver and give it one last turn tight.  If that doesn't help you,  then take some Prozac.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yep, i screwed it until it was flush, but it still turns a little bit, like 10 degrees or so.

THIS CONFIRMS THAT OLYMPIC ARMS IS TRASH!

This LPK was ALSO missing the trigger guard, pistol grip screw + locking nut

TRASH!!!!

Cmon..... The best gun I own is an Olympic...And yes I am serious.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Over a magazine release button....?  

No kidding.  What did  Oly say when you called/emailed them?  Missing parts in LPK isn't a rare thing among different mfrs.  I don't think that a mismatched mag release qualifies anyone to be an expert (well maybe only on the net ).
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#16]
haha, ok, after taking my pills i've calmed down some

I'm not far from olympic arms, i'll probably go visit them one free weekend and give em a holler. I heard that they are contracted to do work for other firms such as RRA and Bushmaster, so I won't troll around... too hard!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top