Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 7:13:10 PM EDT
I am wanting to get a brake installed on my AR and want the least recoil/muzzle climb without being bulky as hell.  Increased noise really isn't an issue.

I'm thinking of these:

MICULEK COMPENSATOR $50

Bennie Cooley Tactical Recoil Eliminator $90

BRANSON COMPENSATOR $30
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the JP in stainless. They rock!

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a 14.5 inch HBAR with an AK-74 brake and the muzzle only gave a slight twist with each shot.  It didn't rise.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Ninety friggin dollars is a lot for a comp, but then I guess I'm in the wrong habit, er hobby, to complain about $$.  Any more suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I had the Miculek and it didn't do anything for me.  Had a friend try it and he said the same.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I had the Miculek and it didn't do anything for me.  Had a friend try it and he said the same.

That's odd, from an engineering & physics point of view, 3 large baffles for fast expanding gas to hit against & pull the rile forward should be very effective & loud, similar to a tank's muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the Miculek on my new Stag Arms 16" upper and it is very effective at reducing recoil and muzzle rise.  Loud, but quite effective.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A USMC customer of ours is getting set for his second deployment to Iraq, and his entire platoon are going to run the MSTN/PRI Quiet Comp.

I just bought one myself to give it a try.

Why did they want a brake instead of a FH?  I would think a Vortex or Phantom would be a better purchase considering that they are replacing the A2 hiders...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, two very conflicting views on the Miculek comp.  This is actually the one I was thinking of getting as the price is half of the JP one.

Any others have the Miculek?

How goofy would it look on a 16" barrel as opposed to a 14.5" barrel?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 3 JP Bennie Cooley comps!  They're worth it.  That being said the Miculek one is just as effective.  The rolling thunder comp from triangleshootingsports.com is very effective as well
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the Armalite style. All lateral discharge .  No vertical discharge. This is  especially helpful in some lighting conditions.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:02:10 PM EDT
[#13]
If noise is not an issue, the Bushmaster Mini-Y Comp totally eliminates all movement.  The blast comes back at you, takes getting used to, and shooters beside you will curse you, but I have to admit, it works.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If noise is not an issue, the Bushmaster Mini-Y Comp totally eliminates all movement.  The blast comes back at you, takes getting used to, and shooters beside you will curse you, but I have to admit, it works.

+1

But you MUST wear ear protection with it.  On my Bushy carbine, its almost disorientingly loud.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They tried the MSTN/PRI Quiet Comp and loved it for its ability to stay on target with follow up shots, so many of the Marines bought them for their uppers.

I've got MSTN/PRi QC comps on 5.56 and 6.8 uppers with 16" barrels. Bought the 5.56 comp first. When I was able to watch the impact point on a 5" Shoot-n-C appear in yellow at 100 yds through the scope, then put a 5 rd rapid fire string of follow up shots (range requires 2 seconds between shots) into a 1/2" group. I was sold.

They do get loud though. I was getting dirty looks from the guys shooting on either side of me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:15:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Can someone post a pic on what the MSTN/PRI Quiet Comp look like? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:27:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:39:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Bravo,

where and how much $ is this little jewel...I think this might be the one.

How can I acquire one of these?  Does it come with all required washers/indexing?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Oh crap, double tap...er, double post.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:49:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I have run a smith enterprise preban (threaded/silver soldered) muzzle brake for 5 or so years and like it alot.  No indexing needed, very limited muzzle flash, and good control with rapid fire.  Check the link:

Smith brake

If I was to replace it, Id run the vortex hands down.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:27:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Anyone else have any experience with the AK47 brake (as sold by Bushmaster)?  I'm considering this one for a 10.5 in. barrel.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife had a Bushy 20" A3 with the AK74 built for me at the factory as a Fathers Day present.  I have put several thousand Wolf's through it and am presently testing hand loads.
The AK74 supressor is great.  Very little jump or kick and I have not noticed any back blast when firing or complaints from fellow shooters for noise.
A quick second shot is allways possible.
I am completely satisfied with the supressor.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A USMC customer of ours is getting set for his second deployment to Iraq, and his entire platoon are going to run the MSTN/PRI Quiet Comp.

I just bought one myself to give it a try.

Why did they want a brake instead of a FH?  I would think a Vortex or Phantom would be a better purchase considering that they are replacing the A2 hiders...

I have been thinking more about this - flash really isn't that bad - think about it for a half second

If it is so dark that flash is a real problem (temp blindness) that means very dark, difficulty in identing target and the target is a long ways away thus it is the outter margins of what you are able to shoot at with optics or naked eye....

Up close - flash isn't going to create temp blindness to the degree that you can not see a target that you can ident well enough to shoot at without whitelight

Comps do in fact help retard flash

Comps definately reduce muzzle rise

Comps might actually be a better way to go .........

It's a thought
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#25]
The best brake I ever used was the mini-Y comp.  It did a great job and didn't add much bulk to the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I would have to give a big +1 for the Bushmaster Mini-Y Comp. It is VERY effective.
(Also very loud)
If an enemy sneaks up within 5 feet of you to the side it could provide a disorienting blast.

I have shot the Bushy AK brake, and it is effective. I would have to rate it about 40% as effective as the Bushmaster Mini-Y Comp .
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#27]
The absolutely baddest-ass looking, and working, comp is the JP Recoil Eliminator.

Just don't be the guy standing to the side of it when shooting one.  I once knocked my brother's hat off with the blast while he was sitting at the next bench over.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:38:50 PM EDT
[#28]
The combat proven SEI brakes has been adopted by the Philippine Army (both M16 and M60) and over 400 have been shipped to USASOC ('SMU's") for use on shorty CQB weapons.  The new M14 brake has just been delivered (as in last week) to the USCG for their forthcoming M-14 builds at Crane (SEE BOTH BELOW).    

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have run a smith enterprise preban (threaded/silver soldered) muzzle brake for 5 or so years and like it alot.  No indexing needed, very limited muzzle flash, and good control with rapid fire.  Check the link:

Smith brake

If I was to replace it, Id run the vortex hands down.  

What kind of ammo do you use? I had one of these on my carbine years ago, and it produced a HUGE muzzle flash. I was using Malasian surplus, and WWB at the time. I agree that the Smith brake is very effective, though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Anyone else have any experience with the AK47 brake (as sold by Bushmaster)?  I'm considering this one for a 10.5 in. barrel.

I have a 14.5 with one of these attached.

Dude is LOUD!

As for effectiveness.....................that is relative I guess - or comparative.

I know the overwhelming feedback is the noise level.

I'd pass next time. In fact, I'm considering a Phantom as a replacement
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:29:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Williams Gunsight in Michigan makes custom jobs at $ 79 plus installation.  In this case, they fluted the barrel so the cost was $ 100 in labor.  They claim that they hug the round by +.006".  they also have an expansion chamber of larger diameter prior to entering the mid section which has the smaller diameter.  BTW, it's a .458 Socom from Marty.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top