Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2005 9:33:19 PM EDT
First off, greetings to everyone! This is my first post here so I expect everyone to welcome me in the very next sentence I get flamed for buying Vulcan. :-)

Here's my story- New to AR15's, so I wanted something cheap. Top end of $500 for a Vulcan V15 Carbine style with a Oralite or what ever the heck mag that is and a hard case. Brand new. $500 for an AR is pretty good, and I thought it could be my test subject and I, Dr. Frankenstein.

Personally, I'd rather not buy a $1100 rifle and play with it, only to mess 'er up. I wanna learn and by golly, I'm learning a lot!

I have learned, Vulcan isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I've put almost 2000 rnds of the cheapest, nastiest most unsafe Wolf I could find... and not a hitch. I did order a D-fender because in the 1-500 rnd mark I was having a lot of extraction failures. I just kept cleaning, lubing and plugging away and now that my $20 D-Fender (12.95 + 8.00 shipping. Talk about financial rape...) is in the mail, I haven't had a single extraction failure since I've ordered the darn thing. Go figure, huh?

The only thing I can complain about really, are the sights. I don't know if they're just indexed wrong or what, but jeeeeeez! he
The rear sight... uhm.. box.. yaws left and right when I put pressure on it. It moves at least a centimeter! How's that for a sight picture? Hah. That, and when it's all the way lowered the bolt that raises or drops it goes so far through the upper, it presses and binds the charging handle against the bolt and gas tube. I guess it was a "Mostly complete, finish the machining yourself upper."

And besides that, using a 25 meter 300m zero target the sight apeture (windage) is ALL the way over to the left, so far over, I can't get it to go anymore.

I can hit 300m on a regular basis... With my cross and lop sided rear sights. But other than this junk, the rifle works fine... and maybe it's just me adding a little too much CLP, but the thing leaks lube like a ... well.. insert famous adult movie star name here... Right out the pins, in the triger, where the recievers meet, lube everywhere!!!

Anyway, anyone have any ideas on how I can fix my sights? Besides buying new ones, I'm not exactly sure I could put on a new front sight post and get it lined up correctly.

Thanks, and hello again!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmmm... a Vulcan for $500, that's pretty dirt cheap, you're going to get what you paid for  hinking.gif

As for answering your questions...  if your sight picture is a cross with the front-sight all the way up, then why not lower your front post down so your sight picture is not a across.  Try getting a correct battle sight picture and then posting where your shots are placing at 25yds.  That'll help a little more with correcting your sight issue.

As for hitting at 300m with iron?  What are you hitting... the side of a barn?  Play in the rear sight is bad... if you get play, then it's out of spec and should be replaced with a correct spec sight.  If not willing to pay for the new sight, try glue ~NewbieDave
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, if you keep it for any length of time and do not have any trouble, consider yourself very lucky. I, of many, have had dealings with them before and will never again. My story is long but the jist of it is poor customer service and cheaply made, period.

As far as your sights go. Yeah, you could go buy new ones and put them on. Should YOU have to go BUY them? NO!! It's a warranty thing,,,,,ooops, they don't have a warranty.

I don't intend on being a smart a$$. I dealt with them for 2 1/2 months before I got my money back.

Again, no problems? Consider yourself lucky. I'm sure I won't be the only one with this kind of post.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I think i'll get a D-fender for my CMT bolt assembly... thanks for the reminder of "cool accessories to have"

Any comments? Would that be overkill for a CMT bolt?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:12:35 PM EDT
[#4]
This is why Vulcan is as bad as everyon says it is...if not worse. You should search for the pictures of a Vulcan reciever which has suffered a catastrophic failure...talk about the cheapest, nastiest and most unsafe. I wish you had found this board sooner as you may have elected to by used or spend a small amount more to buy from a different manufacture. The problem with your front sight could be a caused by the incorrect post or front site assembly being installed on your rifle. Your best course of action would be to alter or replace your front sight post so that it is the appropriate hight for your application. If your weapon has a removable carry handle you could try replacing it with a unit from a reputible manufacture. If not, replacing the sight assembly may be another solution for you. The windage could be maxed out because of a canted front sight assembly or because of manufacturing tolerances. Its not unheard of by any means, but

unacceptible none the less. You can try to sort these problems out, but I don't see these things being the last problems you see, I am sorry to say. You might take it to a knowledgible smith and have him check the alignment of your front sight assembly and possibly replace the post for a start.....Replacing the rear sight assembly may also be a priority for you. You shouldnt have that much play, nor should it impede on your bolt carrier. From your post, it sounds like you are not completely AR ignorant...IE you seem to know a little bit. I would reccomend selling this weapon and starting all over before putting money into it. I would hate to see a crappy rifle ruin the hobby for you. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
You are right Vulcan is not as bad as everyone makes out. Actually, they are even worse. 520.00 for a rifle that cannot be aimed properly, will have next to no resale value and may injure you in the future may seem like a deal to some but rest assured the best is yet to come. I do wish you good luck though and welcome to the board.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I too have a Vulcan Flattop Carbon upper & lower and have had no issues with ,I only shoot factory ammo thou. It was purchased before I found this place I wouldnt go out of my way to buy another after reading about them but for a entry priced first time AR it served its purpose I have since purchased outher complete rifles along with 10 lowers of which I have assembled 2.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally, if I only wanted to spend a little more than $500, I'd rather have a Model 1 kit on any number of $100 lowers than a Vulcan.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#8]

I have learned, Vulcan isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I've put almost 2000 rnds of the cheapest, nastiest most unsafe Wolf I could find... and not a hitch.

Sorry dude, but I couldn't resist.  Extraction failures.  Bad front sight.  Bad rear sight, "Mostly complete, finish the machining yourself upper."

Since your experience is in line with the common Vulcan experience, and it sounds like you certainly have had more than a few hitches, you ought to just sack up like a man and admit you made a bad purchase.

Your best decision would be to sell it at the next gunshow for $400 and get most of your money back.  Then save a bit more and actually buy something with some quality.  There is an old saying.  Buy cheap, pay twice.  Buy quality, pay once.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:28:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have learned, Vulcan isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I've put almost 2000 rnds of the cheapest, nastiest most unsafe Wolf I could find... and not a hitch.

Sounds good so far...

I was having a lot of extraction failures.

The front sight post has to be raised up so far out of the front sight body thing, I see a cross in my sight picture.

The rear sight... uhm.. box.. yaws left and right when I put pressure on it. It moves at least a centimeter! How's that for a sight picture?

When it's all the way lowered the bolt that raises or drops it goes so far through the upper, it presses and binds the charging handle against the bolt and gas tube.

I guess it was a "Mostly complete, finish the machining yourself upper."

And besides that, using a 25 meter 300m zero target the sight apeture (windage) is ALL the way over to the left, so far over, I can't get it to go anymore.

Holy crikey.

I can hit 300m on a regular basis...

Gotta be shittin me!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#10]
if the housing of the rear sight is what is moving than that is completely normal.  The housing moves to the right but not to the left, if that is what yours is doing it's normal
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#11]
That's exactly what it does- moves to the right but not the left.  That's normal? Not that I doubt you by any means, but I do wonder what purpose that serves?

And I guess "Not a hitch" isn't totallllly accurate...  I suppose "No catastrophic failure" is more true to the cause. I have yet to have anything that would put the rifle out of order, as it were.  From what I've heard about the common "durability" of an average M-16 style weapon it certainly doesn't seem to be out of line with the stories I've heard...

But on the other hand I suppose they've improved since Vietnam while the stigma has not.  

And as for the 300 meters, it' a 300 meter target at 25 meter shooting distance. I can always get three shot groupings pretty tight.. Within an inch.  

I didn't learn about the shoot once, clean once technique to clean for the barrel to break it in correctly, so at a true 300m shot I doubt I'd even touch the paper, but I haven't tried that yet.

But so far, I have written Vulcan a couple e-mails and today I got this:

"Sir,

I forwarded your email to the management and by Monday you will be contacted.

Ben"

So that gives them nearly a week for me to play around trying not to blow myself up.

This is how I ended my most recent letter to them:

"I do hope to hear from Vulcan very shortly, and I hope to hear a positive response and suggestion as to what Vulcan can do to keep me as a Vulcan customer. Looking at the Internet and shooting range communities, I think Vulcan must have about... 6 customers. Maybe. Unless something is done, and swiftly, to rectify this poor buying experience, Vulcan will be down to 5 customers I suppose. Fair enough?"

So, we'll see what they say. In the mean time, I'm going to indulge myself and look up catastrophic AR15 malfunctions. If you guys have any, I'd love to see some!

And of course, thanks for all your info. :-)
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#12]
OHHH, I got you now, 300 meeeters, I thought you meant Chryyysler 300m automobile.

I'm sorry, I'll go home now, It was just for fun...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
[red}That's exactly what it does- moves to the right but not the left.  That's normal? Not that I doubt you by any means, but I do wonder what purpose that serves?{/red]

And I guess "Not a hitch" isn't totallllly accurate...  I suppose "No catastrophic failure" is more true to the cause. I have yet to have anything that would put the rifle out of order, as it were.  From what I've heard about the common "durability" of an average M-16 style weapon it certainly doesn't seem to be out of line with the stories I've heard...

But on the other hand I suppose they've improved since Vietnam while the stigma has not.  

And as for the 300 meters, it' a 300 meter target at 25 meter shooting distance. I can always get three shot groupings pretty tight.. Within an inch.  

I didn't learn about the shoot once, clean once technique to clean for the barrel to break it in correctly, so at a true 300m shot I doubt I'd even touch the paper, but I haven't tried that yet.

But so far, I have written Vulcan a couple e-mails and today I got this:

"Sir,

I forwarded your email to the management and by Monday you will be contacted.

Ben"

So that gives them nearly a week for me to play around trying not to blow myself up.

This is how I ended my most recent letter to them:

"I do hope to hear from Vulcan very shortly, and I hope to hear a positive response and suggestion as to what Vulcan can do to keep me as a Vulcan customer. Looking at the Internet and shooting range communities, I think Vulcan must have about... 6 customers. Maybe. Unless something is done, and swiftly, to rectify this poor buying experience, Vulcan will be down to 5 customers I suppose. Fair enough?"

So, we'll see what they say. In the mean time, I'm going to indulge myself and look up catastrophic AR15 malfunctions. If you guys have any, I'd love to see some!

And of course, thanks for all your info. :-)

trust me it's completely normalevery rear sight does it, actually you should be worried if it didn't move like that.

good luck
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Interesting.
Vulcan is the only one making an AR47.
I wish I had the balls to buy one. I just can't bring myself to do it.

I wished they sold the complete lower only for the AR47.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top