BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2005 3:31:37 PM EDT
Just recieve and assembled my new AR.  Its a CMMG 14.5" upper with a Mega Gator lower.  The finish on the lower is slightly darker but thats not why Im considering it.  So should I take the plunge and do it?  It would be in a woodland type color scheme and any patterns or pics would be helpful.  Here are some pics of the rifle and the family

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know much about painting, but I would like to know how you like your XD.  I was looking into them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
 KRYLON, KRYLON, KRYLON!!!!!!!

Good looking family, but you should consider a clamp at the end of that extended mag tube. The extra support is nice to have and it keeps "stuff" from getting caught in there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't know much about painting, but I would like to know how you like your XD.  I was looking into them.

I LOVE IT.  I had a glock 19 and traded it for my XD40.  I sent it to MACs shootin irons had it refinished in Gunkote and have never had a issue either rusting or malfunctioning. I also bought the EFK 9mm conversion barrel and it shoots both calibers out of the same mags and everything.  
It shoots perfect and is much more accurate for me than my glock ever was. Its a lift and point pistol and seems like it aims itself. Highly recommended.

For the other question is there a place that sells just the mag clamp?

Any other Krylon lovers?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely krylon it!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Krylon is for lawn furniture, Duracoat is for AR's.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

http://img]img91.echo.cx/img91/8902/dsc012401zp.jpg

http://img196.echo.cx/img196/8554/dsc012422tw.jpg

Duracoat!!!!

AMEN!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Go ahead and paint it, but use something made for firearms.  If you look on the back of a krylon can
I doubt it says, okie dokie for firearms.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I cant see the pics of duracoat.  Getting it duracoated isnt an option its either leave it alone or krylon.  I cannot spend anymore money at the moment.  $10 for a paintjob that can easily be touched up anytime is pretty nice in my eyes and some guys on here have some nice ass paintjobs with krylon
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Krylon that thing.. duracoat is just autopaint, look up the chemical structure... sorry to disappoint, when you get a scratch just re-krylon or let it be it looks cool, used. I like nice guns like most, but I see a lot of safe qweens and bench rifles on this board. stick it to the man and shoot for free in the desert or forest and don't be afraid to play rough. A friend of mine dropped his 2700 dollar super dooper AR and almost cried. I saw bump that shoot like you stole it.... :)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Krylon that thing.. duracoat is just autopaint, look up the chemical structure... sorry to disappoint, when you get a scratch just re-krylon or let it be it looks cool, used. I like nice guns like most, but I see a lot of safe qweens and bench rifles on this board. stick it to the man and shoot for free in the desert or forest and don't be afraid to play rough. A friend of mine dropped his 2700 dollar super dooper AR and almost cried. I saw bump that shoot like you stole it.... :)

Thats how I feel. My last Bushy M4 didnt even get shot once but it was all tacticaled out with tons of money. Put me in debt and now I want a workhorse AR and I dont want to have the same thing happen again.  Thanks for the advice man
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Either way, if you want something cheap that you can redo, check out Bowflage.

For under $20, you can camo your weapon and take it back off or change what you don't like.  On top of that, Rob from Green Mountain Gear is a great guy.

www.green-mountain-gear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=36

PS- If you wanted cheap, a 16" gun would have been cheaper than the 14.5" SBR route.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#13]
if duracoat or john norrell's isn't an option for you, I would leave it alone.  Krylon looks good when it's new but starts to look nasty after a while, and if you use any gun cleaning solvent on it it will dissolve the finish.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Either way, if you want something cheap that you can redo, check out Bowflage.

For under $20, you can camo your weapon and take it back off or change what you don't like.  On top of that, Rob from Green Mountain Gear is a great guy.

www.green-mountain-gear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=36

PS- If you wanted cheap, a 16" gun would have been cheaper than the 14.5" SBR route.   [/quote

Damnit stickman why cant you be proud of me haha It seemed like a nice upper and I wanted the m4 cuts(even though these arent "true")as well as the 14.5" 16"overall so I can wing it around easier.  Im pretty pumped and I cant be as thrift as you
Didnt you do some in krylon?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:04:25 PM EDT
[#15]
For colors they don't make in Bowflage, that you didn't want permanent-   What about Bowflaging it, then Kryloning over that?   The Krylon in not touching the actual firearm surface, I'm betting this may work.    Anyone with cans of Bowflage and Krylon have any scrap parts or pieces of metal they can test this on?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#16]
This sounds like a job for Martha Stewart...oh wait....  is she still on probation?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Krylon it!  Krylon the sh*t out of it!  

If you want a little extra durability, hit it with a coat or two of Alumahyde II matte clear, after you've got the paint how you want it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Krylon.

BTW...a Woodland camo in South Dakota??  

Ya its pretty green and wooded around here(Sioux Falls) farther west it gets sandy.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#21]
... weather tis nobler in the mind suffer the peeling and chipping of outrageous Krylon.  Or to paint arms with a quality product...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I like Krylon.  Works great.  Super easy and cheap; wears quite well if you allow it to cure about a 2 days before messing with it.  Of course it gets scratched, but I bet plenty of the nicer finishes can be scratched if subjected to rough use.  Besides, scratches add character, and show you really take your toy out to have fun with.

PS-Krylon is removable too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll have to disagree on the woodland camo, even around sioux falls I think more of a tan would blend better (lots of dry pasture, cornfields in summer and fall) Krylon it!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#24]
its his gun dont you think he knows what he wants to do it with it?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I've never liked painted/crayolaed/funky designer color AR-15s. I wouldn't do anything to it.

But that's just me, it's your rifle.

[And go ahead an stone me, you krylon freaks ]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I've never liked painted/crayolaed/funky designer color AR-15s. I wouldn't do anything to it.

But that's just me, it's your rifle.

[And go ahead an stone me, you krylon freaks ]

I love the black look also thats why Im having such a hard time.  I do like the point in another thread that having it camoed will draw a little less attention than the standard (machine gun)black.  These are probably the most well known rifle in the world and having a dumb person be able to identify it right away will get the cops.  Also its my main bug out rifle and even though most movement should be done at night I would still like to know that it will blend in otherwise.

The guy who says woodland isnt the color scheme I want you may be right it does get tannish around some parts here but when fields are plowed they are black.  If you have a camo scheme you are thinking post up I would like to see it.  

Thanks for the input guys.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:21:50 AM EDT
[#27]
You could always buy camo furniture.  Might cost you $50.  But if you factor in the price of the paint plus your time, it's probably not that much more expensive.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#28]
The Dirtier it looks the Better it Looks!!! The key to it is, Dont respay to often.

My M4A1.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:20:22 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Krylon.

BTW...a Woodland camo in South Dakota??  

Idon't think you've ever been to South Dakota.  The Black Hills is nothing but woodland.

I've used krylon before and it holds up pretty well. Especially if you drop a few coats of matte clear on it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The Dirtier it looks the Better it Looks!!! The key to it is, Dont respay to often.

My M4A1.

www.area51-guns.com/photos/AD3/g%20001.jpg

www.area51-guns.com/photos/match1/MATCH%20009.jpg

www.area51-guns.com/photos/match1/MATCH%20008.jpg

That Sir is what I want my rifle to look like.  Just Krylon or did you clear it too. Also what kind of clear if any and how long is the wear on those pics?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

My M4A1.

www.area51-guns.com/photos/AD3/g%20001.jpg

www.area51-guns.com/photos/match1/MATCH%20009.jpg

www.area51-guns.com/photos/match1/MATCH%20008.jpg

Larry - that'd be about right...... how about painting plastic? I have painted a scope for my bolt gun and I couldn't really ever get anything to stick to the butler creeks.... even used some 'plastic primer' all that did was allow it to flake off in big chunks....

So what did you do to paint your plastic and how long / how much use did you have in those pics from the time that you painted it.?

TIA
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#32]
After alot of thinking I could decide but on a impulse feeling I said fuck it and started.  I went khaki, brown, olive, and a little black. Following it up with clear right now and will post up when its done drying.  Thanks for everyones input and I am already happy with the results.  I hope the gobs of clear that Im putting on will make it durable but if not weared looking is cool too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:12:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Just got done paintingKrylon baby Krylon

Turned out pretty good I think
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:19:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
There's some nice looking guns in here. Stretch, that came out great.

Thanks...I think its got a nice pissed off look to it
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

F- dog?  wow!!!  Fucking hilarious!!  Auto paint?  chemical structure?  

Sherwin Williams will disagree.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#37]
That looks just A-OK, one of these days I'm going to get balls enough to paint
mine. I painted the furnature of one gun metal gray, and I'm  still kind of iffy on it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#38]
stretch415, I think you did a really nice job. The same goes for LARRYG36.

I had considered doing the same thing if my latest rifle's upper & lower finish (from 2 different manufactures) didn't match. They matched pretty good, darn it.  

Take some pics of it outside in a natural setting, if possible.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
stretch415, I think you did a really nice job. The same goes for LARRYG36.

I had considered doing the same thing if my latest rifle's upper & lower finish (from 2 different manufactures) didn't match. They matched pretty good, darn it.  

Take some pics of it outside in a natural setting, if possible.

Scott

Mine matched pretty good but it would always bother me a little. Truely I wanted to camo it just to set it apart and make it harder to see.  I live in a bigger town but if I go out in the country somewere to dump some ammo I will take it in the grass or something(what a kitchen counter with a forman isnt natural haha)
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#40]
That took balls!

It looks good.  I wouldn't do it but it looks tough!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
That took balls!

It looks good.  I wouldn't do it but it looks tough!

It did take some balls haha I didnt want to do it and then I did and finally I was sitting on the couch and I said F-k it and started taping off and degreased it and then quick hit it with some khaki so there was no turning back.  I am happy that I did it now though and would do it again in a heartbeat
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I didn't notice the color mismatch from the pics on the first page but I'm not up close looking at it either. Have to say I think it turned out real well. Good job stretch415.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:00:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Very nice. It looks like shadows under a tree which should blend in very well in many different areas.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:02:28 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://url]img91.echo.cx/img91/8902/dsc012401zp.jpg

http://img196.echo.cx/img196/8554/dsc012422tw.jpg

Duracoat!!!!

AMEN!!!

Amen again. If you do not want to bake it or do not have the equipment use Alumihyde 2 and let it set 2 weeks before you touch it no matter how bad you are tempted.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:14:29 AM EDT
[#45]
once you get started theres no turning back.
it turned out great
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:37:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:10:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for all the kind words.  Any idea how long I should let it sit before I take it out?  Any cleaners or lube that I should stay away from?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:16:45 AM EDT
[#49]
I've already done mine in Duracoat Tiger Stripe Brown:

and have Woodland Tan, Colt Gray and Woodland Green, thought about doing something like this:

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:05:17 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I've already done mine in Duracoat Tiger Stripe Brown:

www.torrenga.com/~jrybicki/MY%20RIFLE/DMM4/081805-e.jpg

and have Woodland Tan, Colt Gray and Woodland Green, thought about doing something like this:

www.torrenga.com/~jrybicki/MY%20RIFLE/DMM4/dragon%20stripe.jpg

Leave it just brown please.  The second photograph....well, you did ask for opinions right?  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top