BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/18/2005 5:44:32 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to have a lower shipped to a dealer I've never used before and wondering what the typical FFL fee is? I just want to make sure I'm not going to get ripped on the fee.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Didnt you ask what he charges when you had him send the signed FFL?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I think between $20-25 is reasonable
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think between $20-25 is reasonable

This is correct and the max you should pay.
Anymore and you are being raped.
My .02.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen $10 to $35 and from 10% to 20% of rifle cost, I would call every one and check
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:55:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've seen $10 to $35 and from 10% to 20% of rifle cost, I would call every one and check

+1

10% is a rip

pay $25 or less per firearm or ask for  multiple transfers discounts

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never ordered a firearm from the Internet but I recently looked into it and my local dealer wants 12% of the purchase price plus state sales tax, even for out of state orders, which is another 7.9%.  Seems like a big fat rip off for something like a $1000 rifle.  Is that about right for bigger purchases?

ETA: A rewording for the slower folks.  Is that AVERAGE for a bigger purchase or overkill to dicourage outside sales?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#7]
It's up to the dealer.  If you think 10% is too much, find another FFL who's cheaper or get your own damned license.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I pay $10 at my dealer, Hes a nice guy
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I paid a flat 15bucks for my transfer
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#11]
My FFL doesn't charge anything. He works on a donation basis. I usually slip him a 20 for every transfer though. Gave me about 20 signed copies of his FFL so i don't have any hassle when ordering guns, just shoot him a call and tell him somethings on the way. GREAT guy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#12]
My FFL holder charges $15.  No other fees.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

10% is a rip

Dealer nearest me charges a $25 fee. Doesn't matter if he's receiving one rifle or ten, he'll charge you $25 so long as they all come in at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Around Pittsburgh PA. Ive noticed it cost anywhere from $15 to $30, depending on where you go...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#15]
6 pack

I'm not kidding
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#16]
$50.00 and up out here. That's a rip off. I don't buy much because of that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
$50.00 and up out here. That's a rip off. I don't buy much because of that.

where is this at?

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#18]
No more than $25.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Unfortunatly some dont have the option to pick and choose a dealer to do a internet relay... If you live where there is no competitve gun shops, well, you get stuck paying the one and only local shop what ever it might be to have a relay done...
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:28:03 PM EDT
[#20]
the very nice pawn shop owner in town does it for free!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:29:58 PM EDT
[#21]
$15 for however many at one time
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#22]
my local gunshop is charging $55 per item ! INSANE !
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:56:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I charge $25, for $25 you get nothing but a transfer, I am not doing any research training you how to fix you guns.

Jeesh....couldn't resist the opportunity, could ya?

Captain Sunshine rides again.

BTW, my FFL charges $15, and isn't such a whiney ass.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:43:57 AM EDT
[#24]
The cheapest I have found in my area is $35 per order (1gun or 10 guns).  Other dealers wanted $50 per gun, one even wanted $50 plus 10% of the rifle cost.  What a rip off.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:01:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I pay $25 per transfer.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I have bought enough guns from my dealer over the years and he dont charge me for transfers anymore
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:17:58 AM EDT
[#28]
$30.00 from my dealer in old town Alexandria.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:26:40 AM EDT
[#29]
15 bucks at the local gunshop.  I wouldn't pay more than 20.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#30]
I pay $15 for whatever will fit on a 4473.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I charge $20 if I have to call NICs,  $15 if I don't need to call em.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I charge $20 if I have to call NICs,  $15 if I don't need to call em.

and a wonderful guy to deal with speaks up
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#33]
I get hosed $35 plus shipping, although occasionally I get em for free.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#34]
 We charge $25 per 4473, Sometimes $10-15 for regulars and servicemen.

If your paying a % your getting hosed, although the dealer right across the river that I transfer handguns to sometimes charges sales tax. The state always wants their pound of flesh. We don't include a reciept with the price for that reason, my customer can tell them he paid $5 if they ask.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#35]
YOU GUYS CRACK ME UP SOME OF YOU ARE THE CHEAPEST BASTARDS. YOU GO WO WAL-MART FOR YOUR AMMO AND CLEANING SUPPLIES AND YOUR ACCESSORIES AND YOU DON'T DICKER PRICES AND MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY THE TAX. YOU COME INTO MY SHOP AND ALL YOU CAN SAY IS WHAT IS YOUR BEST PRICE AND "I'LL PAY CASH CAN YOU SAVE THE TAX" DON'T SEE YOU ASSHOLES DO THIS OVER THE NET OR WALLY WORLD. FOR YOU INFO I CHARGE $60.00 PLUS FDLE, FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS;
I JUST LOST A SALE FROM SOME SCAB OVER THE NET
I HAVE AN OVERHEAD TO PAY EVERY MONTH
LIKE TO TAKE A SALARY HOME
HAVE TO PAY MY OWN HEALTH INSURANCE
AND THE STINKIN 4473 YOU FILL OUT I HAVE TO FILE AND STORE FOR 20 YEARS.
BUT WHEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM YOU KNOW HOW TO COME TO THE INDEPENDENT GUN SHOP FOR REPAIRS OR TO PICK OUR BRAINS AND THE YOU THINK YOUR DOING ME A FAVOR.
FOR REPAIRS I CHARGE TOP DOLLAR.
GO GET YOUR OWN FFL, FORFILL ALL THE REQUIRMENTS KEEP ALL THE RECORDS STAY OPEN FOR 10-12 HOURS AND LISTEN TO ALL THE EXPERTS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COUNTER WHO TELL YOU WHAT TO CHARGE, THEN YOU CAN DO A TRANSFERE FOR FREE.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
YOU GUYS CRACK ME UP SOME OF YOU ARE THE CHEAPEST BASTARDS. YOU GO WO WAL-MART FOR YOUR AMMO AND CLEANING SUPPLIES AND YOUR ACCESSORIES AND YOU DON'T DICKER PRICES AND MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY THE TAX. YOU COME INTO MY SHOP AND ALL YOU CAN SAY IS WHAT IS YOUR BEST PRICE AND "I'LL PAY CASH CAN YOU SAVE THE TAX" DON'T SEE YOU ASSHOLES DO THIS OVER THE NET OR WALLY WORLD. FOR YOU INFO I CHARGE $60.00 PLUS FDLE, FOR THE FOLLOWING REASONS;
BUT WHEN YOU HAVE A PROBLEM YOU KNOW HOW TO COME TO THE INDEPENDENT GUN SHOP FOR REPAIRS OR TO PICK OUR BRAINS AND THE YOU THINK YOUR DOING ME A FAVOR.
GO GET YOUR OWN FFL, FORFILL ALL THE REQUIRMENTS KEEP ALL THE RECORDS STAY OPEN FOR 10-12 HOURS AND LISTEN TO ALL THE EXPERTS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE COUNTER WHO TELL YOU WHAT TO CHARGE, THEN YOU CAN DO A TRANSFERE FOR FREE.

Okay, that gave me a headache. And with that kind of attitude I'm sure customers are beating down the door to get into your shop.

Anyway, $25 is quite reasonable. 10% is an ass-rape. The dealer I bought a lot of guns from charged $25 and I was happy to pay that to him. Unfortunately he closed his shop. I like to do business with those who transfer for me, because they do have overhead and bills to pay. I would much rather buy a gun locally, but sometimes there are deals you can't pass up on the internet. I don't know of any local dealer who sells AR receivers either.

However if it chaps your ass to do transfers- then don't.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, that gave me a headache. And with that kind of attitude I'm sure customers are beating down the door to get into your shop.

Anyway, $25 is quite reasonable. 10% is an ass-rape. The dealer I bought a lot of guns from charged $25 and I was happy to pay that to him. Unfortunately he closed his shop. I like to do business with those who transfer for me, because they do have overhead and bills to pay. I would much rather buy a gun locally, but sometimes there are deals you can't pass up on the internet. I don't know of any local dealer who sells AR receivers either.

However if it chaps your ass to do transfers- then don't.

+1

the way i see it is the guy probably would have never bought a gun from you anyways since he is searching the net for it and with your attitude you should be happy that he just gave you youre $60 ffl transfer fee for signing for the package and filling out the back portion of the 4473

all of which will probably take but 15mins, so $60 in 15mins is great! some dont make that in a year and before that they are going to school half their life.

and since you are already holding forms for 20 yrs a few added to it doesnt seem like much trouble.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#38]
$25 seems to be typical for a transfer.  My old dealer (no longer a dealer) used to charge me $10 for a stripped reciever instead of his usual $25
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#39]
 The guy I used to work for took transfers as a personal affront- he was loosing money.

A good number of my customers buy another gun from me when they pick up a transfer, and even if they buy nothing else, it's only 10 minutes out of my life to be nice to them.

Get a guy shooting for cheap- the sport you save might be your own
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#40]
I wouldn't buy something off the internet and then have it transfered to someone who sells the same product.  So if I'm some kind of "scab" for buying parts on the internet that the dealer doesn't even stock then so be it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I pay $10 for a transfer.  Anything over $25 is a ripoff
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

10% is a rip

Are we talking a TRUE transfer (example: buying a collectable firearm from another private individual) or are we talking about trying to order at "dealer price" on someone elses FFL from a wholesaler?

If it is a true transfer I charge a flat rate. It is NOT my deal and I am only the receiving agent. If you were in the same state as the seller you wouldn't even NEED me. I don't feel I should profit from that scenario and only charge for the call in to FDLE which I have to pay for and the fact that I have to store the 4473 for 20 years.

If it is someone trying to order direct from a wholesaler or distributor but need my FFL to place the order then I just don't do that at all. And people who suggest a 10% markup on somebody trying to back door a dealer like that are inconsiderate in the true sense of the word. If you want to order at "dealer price" then get a FFL. If you don't want to go through what I have to go through to have a FFL then please do NOT try and tell me what is an acceptable markup. As it is MY business and MY license I will determine what is necessary to run a cost effective business.

And I doubt very much any of you would work for 10%.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:02:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I think between $10-$15 is more than fair.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:16:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'm getting ready to have a lower shipped to a dealer I've never used before and wondering what the typical FFL fee is? I just want to make sure I'm not going to get ripped on the fee.

Thanks

You should have asked first!
$10 + $5 for BG check--low side
$25 + $5                      --high side

More than $35 total Rip-Off !!%$#%$%^^^
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Avoid Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club for any type of FFL transfer - you will get gang raped. IM me if you want any details.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#46]
I hope one day you guys have your own businesses and people tell you how much you are entitled to earn.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Thanks

There are two dealers I know of near where I live that advertise doing FFL transfers, although there may be others.  One charges a flat $20 per receiver/gun, the other charges 10% of the pre-shipping price.  So, its cheaper to use the latter on items under $200, and the former for items over $200.  On the other hand, the guy who runs the latter LGS is kind of surly, and a lot further from where I live (which given current gas prices makes a difference), so I generally prefer to pay the flat $20 to deal with the very friendly and helpful guy who is closer.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#48]
I pay $30.00 but I'm shipping 2 rifles this week and they won't charge me for it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:23:56 PM EDT
[#49]
$10-25
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:13:26 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

10% is a rip

Are we talking a TRUE transfer (example: buying a collectable firearm from another private individual) or are we talking about trying to order at "dealer price" on someone elses FFL from a wholesaler?

If it is a true transfer I charge a flat rate. It is NOT my deal and I am only the receiving agent. If you were in the same state as the seller you wouldn't even NEED me. I don't feel I should profit from that scenario and only charge for the call in to FDLE which I have to pay for and the fact that I have to store the 4473 for 20 years.

If it is someone trying to order direct from a wholesaler or distributor but need my FFL to place the order then I just don't do that at all. And people who suggest a 10% markup on somebody trying to back door a dealer like that are inconsiderate in the true sense of the word. If you want to order at "dealer price" then get a FFL. If you don't want to go through what I have to go through to have a FFL then please do NOT try and tell me what is an acceptable markup. As it is MY business and MY license I will determine what is necessary to run a cost effective business.

And I doubt very much any of you would work for 10%.

While I respect your way of conducting business, I think you are missing the point.  The person asked for a typical transfer price and I think what has been posted $20-$35 is a fair price.  You may conduct business any way you feel fit (it is your business) but to think tacking on more than 10% plus fees is ok, that is just not the case (at least not in my area). There are many FFL holders in my area that will do the deal for the $20-$35 price.  This is the USA and people are able to make their own choices on who to go to (just as you are able to refuse business).  I get my internet FFL items through a friend who charges me the $5 background fee--thats it.  I do usually give him $20 or a case of beer (and help him drink it).  He keeps me posted when he comes accross items that I would be interested in so he does pretty good by me. He has no problem buying wholesale for me and only charging the $5. Like I said, there are other FFL holders in my area that will do transfers for $20-$35 all day long.  So, the answer to the persons question on what a fair transfer fee is still stands at $20-$35 unless there is no one in his area that will do it for that price.  The market bears the price.

This post is in no way an attack on you.  It is only my opinion about prices in my area.  You can run your business any way you want and if people in your area are ok with your prices then that is great for you.  That is how you earn a living-pay the bills-etc.  But in the end, it all is based on what the market will allow.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top