Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2005 3:43:16 PM EDT

I was reading that Colt made a sniper variants of the AR-15 with a 20" heavy barrel in the late 60's.  Allegedly. the Model 655 had a A1 upper and the 656 had a low profile upper.

Does anyone have any details of their construction or pictures of them?  I have a 20" HBAR and I'm looking for inspiration.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:51:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:14:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  Did that come from a book?  I'm getting "The Black Rifle" and "The Complete AR15/M16" through interlibrary loan in the hopes of finding more info.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:51:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks!  Did that come from a book?  I'm getting "The Black Rifle" and "The Complete AR15/M16" through interlibrary loan in the hopes of finding more info.

not sure if that is from "the book", but I will recommend you get Black Rifle II instead of BR.

@ about $75, why not get the most up to date version available. IMHO

and I do have BRII, and will attest to its historical and overall reference value.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:02:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Model 655 was a Carbine with forward assist, 14.5 inch barrel, and standard stock.  Hardly the basis for a "sniper" weapon.  They did make a heavy barreled Squad Automatic Rifle at some point, but IIRC that had an A2 rear sight and was introduced in the early 80's.

Where were you reading about the Model 656?  Thx,

Paladin

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:27:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I've also read about the 655 being an HBAR.  I thought the 650 carbines were 650-654.

Anyhow, here's a picture I have of the 656:
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#6]
That upper sure is differenet looking where the scout mount is located.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Also looks like an M16 older style buttstock, but there is a forward assist on the upper.  The front sight looks like a match "globe" style too.  That rifle was built as a precision shooter.  Silenced as well, I smell a CIA plot somewhere...

Paladin
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#9]
And on page 745 of Small Arms of The World, 12th Ed. is a picture of a Colt Model 655, shown as a carbine with fixed stock.  It is also described in a chart on page 757 along with the other 65X's.  The scoped AR is absent from his volume published in 1983.

What is the source of your photo and/or information?  ETA:The spread sheet on Biggerhammer hardly qualifies as proof of anything, especially since he says it is based on Ezells 1983 book I am referencing below.  The Janes manual mentioned I can't locate right now.

ETA: aswered my own question!  page 177 is your exact same picture, with the caption "Experimental M16A1(Note modified upper receiver.) fitted with Sionics Noise Suppressor".

Paladin
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks everyone.  For what it's worth, I found this on the web (http://www.diddybop.demon.co.uk/thesni1.htm):

In April 1967 United States Army Vietnam (USARV) decided to conduct an analysis of sniper operations and equipment. Working from a year's improvised sniper activities, USARV staff requested certain rifles and telescopic sights to be issued to all Divisions and Brigades operating in Vietnam, for testing. Those units that took part in the trials were directed by USARV to come up with their own training programs, with ACIV staff given the job of running the evaluation.

The four systems that were tested were:-

1). 7.62 x 51mm Nato National match M-14 rifle with LTD War Laboratory Adjustable Ranging Telescope.
2). 7.62 x 63mm Model 70 Winchester bolt action rifle.
3). The accurized 7.62 x 51mm Nato M-14 rifle with M-84 Telescopic sight.
4). 5.56 x 45mm M-16 with Realist scope.

Three out of the four systems that were tested were found to be unsatisfactory. The collection of test results took place during July - October 1967. 7,512 man-days of rifle/scope use, 124 targets were engaged which resulted in 46 kills and 9 wounded. At the end of the test period, 84 snipers each with 60 days combat ops under his belt, filled in questionnaires about the equipment they had tested. The M-16 with Realist scope came out the worst, because of poor accuracy (at ranges over 300 yds) and the fact that moisture collected inside the scope. The M-14 rifle with the M-84 scope also suffered similar problems with moisture and fogging of the scope. Whereas the Winchester model 70 rifle was too fragile for use in a combat zone, and was disliked because it couldn't provide enough fire power if it came down to a fire fight situation. The out-and-out winner of the trials was the M-14 with the ART scope.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]
High tech sniper stuff, circa 1967.  Managed to get my hands on a Colt/Realist 3x20.  These things are hard to find.  It will be going on my XM16E1 clone, once ASA gets my lower done.  Also have a AN/PVS-2 for it.  

Here is one in action:

Now if I could find a Deft scope for the Mdodel 601 clone.......
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top