Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2005 8:53:05 PM EDT
Hunting sm. game or varmints.  What is the legal mag. cap. for hunting with a .223 semi-auto? (ar15)  during deer season and not during deer season?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:17:36 AM EDT
[#1]
During Deer season (Nov15-30) you can have a mag capicity of ONLY five rounds with one up the pipe. Now out of Deer season that is a good question. I would go to MI-DNR on the net and look. I would think that you might still only have a total of six rounds with one being up the spout in any hunting instance......But I might be wrong.  JMTCW.....Trapfan
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah Im gonna try that soon.  Ive been told lately that its unlimited out of deer season but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
In Missouri I know that all you have to do is prove to the game warden that your magazine cannot hold any more than 5 rounds.  So if you blocked off the bottom of a 30 rounder as to make it only hold 5 then that would work in this state.  I know in bird season you have to have plugs in your shotgun if it can hold more than 3 rounds including one in the chamber.

My point is that if the law says you can only have 5 rounds and you have 5 rounds in a 20 round clip you are in violation unless that 20 round clip cannot hold any more than 5.  Make sense?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#4]
6 rnd cap. including chamber. For all hunting with centerfire rifles. Hi cap ok in .22 LR though. (added) some guys will block a hi cap mag for hunting around here. seems to be ok to do so.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Still gettn mixed answers......thanks for your thought and advice.  Gonna try and ask a DNR officer to clear it up for me though.  Thanks anyway
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#6]
What caliber are you using? Last time I checked, max of 6 rds in semiauto in MI for hunting but 6mm was the minimum legal caliber for deer.  It has been a couple of years since I checked because I can't claim MI residency now that I am no longer .mil.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Technically I think you have to use .25 caliber or larger and you can only have 5 rounds counting the one in the chamber.  You mag has to be plugged so it can physically cannot hold more than four rounds.  Not 100% on this though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not hunting deer. Sorry if I missworded myself.  I'm hunting coyotes and fox but I during deer season I've been told that you can't use "high" capacity magizines.  I'm using a .223
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:24:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Directly from the MI DNR website.

Q. What caliber or gauge of firearm (rifle, shotgun, pistol) can I use to hunt deer north of the “Rifle-Shotgun Line"?

Any caliber or gauge is legal north of the “Rifle-Shotgun Line" except a .22 caliber rimfire or smaller caliber rimfire rifle or pistol. All centerfire rifles and handguns and all shotguns are legal in this area regardless of caliber or gauge

Q. How many rounds of ammunition may I carry in my rifle or shotgun?

If you use a semi-automatic rifle or a semi-automatic shotgun, other than a .22 caliber rifle, the firearm cannot be capable of holding more than 6 rounds in the barrel and magazine combined. This restriction does not apply to bolt action, lever action, or other firearms that are not semi-automatics.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top