Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2005 8:43:13 PM EDT
Should I get the 20" or the 24" barreled upper?  I know the only difference is generally going to be the velocity but can't decide which would suit me better.  Those who have one or the other I would like to hear from you.  And should I get the 1:8 or 1:12. I am leaning towards the 1:8 since I could shoot the heavier bullets for two legged varmints. How does the 1:8 shoot the lighter bullets?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the RRA 1:12 24" SS Varmint upper. If you are going to be packing the gun over a half mile I would say go lighter. Myself, I shoot from the top of a pickup so weight is not an issue. I got the longest barrel length for the improved accuracy and velocity. I got the 1:12" twist because I will be shooting primarily 35-45 grain bullets.A 1:8" twist is not going to handle the lighter bullets too well.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#2]
We would need to know your purposes for the weapon to make an informed suggestion. I would go w/ 1/8 it will shoot light stuff just fine and heavy stuff great as well. I wouldn't shoot under 45gr w/ the 1/8 though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I will go with the 1:8 now I just need to decide which length to get.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Longer is better (just ask the wimminz)....if "varmint" hunting...long range accuracy and velocity go together....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top